• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

What a collapse. If it wasn't for Warner this would have been an absolute disgrace.

Our only hope is if he just starts blasting away using his T20 roots.

legend166

RandomVince said:
How the fuck can David Warner be taken seriously as a test opener when Ed Cowan is in top form and a far better player with far more experience?

RandomVince said:
He is still too impatient for tests. Cowan can bat out a day, Warner a session if he is lucky.

RandomVince said:
Cricket Australia confirms the best way to make the test team is to slog it out in fake cricket. Good shield players need not apply. Shaun Tait to open the bowling with Mitchell Johnson next series. Not a single lbw will be given.

RandomVince said:
Warner has barely played a full first class season, that's why his average is higher. Stop cherry picking stats to suit. Cowan is the better batsman, and in better form to boot.

RandomVince said:
L.O.L.

Did you see the latest innings? Cowan made 145 from 270 balls. Warner made 55 off 90. Who would you pick?

Making up stats my arse.

RandomVince said:
And the previous 18 months of shield cricket? ffs

anyway, obviously the bar for entry to test selection is a half century. 145 isnt enough, in fact it might be too much. Dont want to run the risk of any batsman showing up the australian captain for being the below average batter that he is.

RandomVince said:
That's right choc, test cricket needs more batsmen who can't hold onto their wicket. Next you'll be arguing for bowlers who can't hold a decent line and length. A fan of Shaun tait I bet?

RandomVince said:
What rubbish. Mark my words, Warner will barely outdo Hughes as an opener this summer. The Australian selectors seem resigned to mediocrity though so I guess all your favourites will be playing at some point. Australia to lose the test series this summer at home.

RandomVince said:
So experience counts for nothing? Warner has played 11 matches. Compared to 54.

What part of simple stats dont you understand? Of course someone who has just started out is going to have a higher average. In 2 or 3 seasons it will be back to mediocre land.

David Warner:
First-class
M11
Inns17
NO 1
Runs 960
HS 211
Avg 60.00
SR 70.84

Ed Cowan:
First-class
M 54
Inns 97
NO 6
Runs 3468
HS 225
Avg 38.10
SR 46.26

stick to fake cricket, legend. You clearly like everything decided in a blink of an eye.

RandomVince said:
Townsend, Cowan, Rogers would all be worth a look ahead of Warner. Cowan being the pick of the bunch, the other two being in form and younger. But there is also Katich who made a century yesterday and is better than Warner.

RandomVince said:
I'll say it again - if the current side lacks staying power, why not put in someone who has shown they can bat through tough spells? Cowan fits that bill. Warner is a pinch hitter.

RandomVince said:
Versus someone who has played a handful of shield games and is only known for slogging.

Another good batsman they could/should have considered in recent years is Cosgrove. But obviously he doesnt fit the CA template. But looking at his stats, he deserves a crack at it more than warner.

RandomVince said:
Hughes certainly hasnt done much, I agree. But Warner hasnt shown that he is suited to the long game, and you dont or shouldnt give untested players a test berth straight up. Sure, play him in ODIs, but not tests. Not yet, and not until he has shown himself in shield cricket.

RandomVince said:
I'm just quoting this for warner's inevitable failure this test.

RandomVince said:
You are the worst sports fan on AusGAF.

Hmmmm.

Cricinfo said:
*David Warner(lhb) 111 161 13 0 68.94

Choc

Banned
seriously, if you guys could see how big this thing is, seriously

OIx8d.jpg

neFj8.jpg

42eAh.jpg

Oh bloody hell. Just woken up by Mormons or evangelists. I need a sign outside my door that says 'NO PREACHING'.

Apparently they're making a new "do not knock" list, so there is that. They still have no right to be on your property, much less wake you up. I think I'd just pretend to be asleep. They might hang around a bit, but if no one answers they'll just leave... right?

Yagharek

Reason I'm right: Australia's batting lineup is woefully out of form and reliant on one or two players per innings to do something - sometimes not even one batsman stands up. Selectors aren't picking people on form and results follow from this.

Reason I'm wrong: Warner carried his bat in a Test match. Pyrrhic victory for Legend, however.

edit: oh lol, Legend has been saving that post up in a .txt file for weeks I bet. :p I posted this before even reading the page above.
Glad to know I've been a fixture in your dreams, tiger. ;)

edit 2: Cowan should still be in the side, opening with warner for now. Drop Watson to 3.

edit 3: how can bracewell not get MoTM? He won the game ffs!

ShyGuy

To those who have imported a 3DS from USA, how are you buying eShop games?

I just tried to buy Pushmo using my Australian CC and I can't get past the zip code because it's expecting a US zipcode....

Any ideas? Or am I forced to buy US-based Nintendo points?

LOL

WhyTF was Warner taking 1 run on the first ball of each over towards the end there!!....!!

Oh well, so close!

He played a great knock then lost his mind as soon as Lyon came in. Played a lot of rash shots and missed shots. I think he was too worried about smashing the runs himself.

At the end there with only 10 runs to go he should have only been running for 2 or more. Idiotic to hit the first ball of an over for a single when we were so close.

Maybe next time someone else can stick around long enough to get more than a handful of fucking runs though. Horrible composure by our batsmen this series. They just didn't seem to care about their wicket. At least our bowling prospects are looking pretty good with Pattinson and Lyon, even with the horrible run of injuries. Would be nice if they could avoid them as it seems the bowlers are struggling to even get back to international standard within 12 months these days.

edit 2: Cowan should still be in the side, opening with warner for now. Drop Watson to 3.

edit 3: how can bracewell not get MoTM? He won the game ffs!
Nah Hughes out, Watson in. Wade in, Haddin out.
Also Bracewell was screwed over. Picked up all the important wickets and won the match for them easily. Warner played a great knock but it was only in the last innings and he couldn't keep his composure to get us the win.

Yagharek

The time is right now to get young batsmen into the Australian side I guess. Young bowlers have shown they can do it, and begrudgingly I have to admit Warner has shown promise (2 failures still need to temper expectations though).

Hussey, Ponting, Haddin, Hughes, Khawaja, Clarke all need to take a long hard look at their recent form, though Clarke is probably the safest of the bunch.

Best thing to do would be to wait until this year's Shield season is over, and look at the best younger batsmen as they have done so with bowlers. Definitely look at playing a couple of them in the series vs India though. Marsh, Paine, Cowan, Wade all need looking at. Khawaja might still be worth it, but they dont want to fuck him around like Hughes has been.

The sad thing is, Hughes has a great attitude but shocking form. I really hope he can get some form, but I think his time is up.

Nah Hughes out, Watson in. Wade in, Haddin out.
Also Bracewell was screwed over. Picked up all the important wickets and won the match for them easily. Warner played a great knock but it was only in the last innings and he couldn't keep his composure to get us the win.

What do you think of Wade vs Paine? Paine seems to be the heir apparent, but Wade is certainly deserving of the spot on his own merit. That said, Paine seems to be the better choice.

My concern with Watson is injuries again and ongoing. Great recent years but being in and out of the side surely has to hinder the opening partnership from settling down? Which is why at #3 he would be fine.

Khawaja might still be worth it, but they dont want to fuck him around like Hughes has been..
Quoted for massive truth, he has never recovered from getting dropped that first time.

Also Khawaja is still only new, Ponting is still going okay (not great but making runs at least), Hussey is struggling outside of the occasional big knock and Hughes is gone. Bring Wade in for Haddin and see if Haddin can reclaim some form. If so then he might come in as decent middle order batsman.

Yagharek

Quoted for massive truth, he has never recovered from getting dropped that first time.

Also Khawaja is still only new, Ponting is still going okay (not great but making runs at least), Hussey is struggling outside of the occasional big knock and Hughes is gone. Bring Wade in for Haddin and see if Haddin can reclaim some form. If so then he might come in as decent middle order batsman.

I'm not arguing for immediate changes but yeah, there needs to be serious consideration whether they go all out for rebuilding now or just gradually bleed in a few new players whilst carrying one or two old heads (Hussey and Ponting)?

I reckon Australia will get smashed in the India series. The only thing that will keep them competitive will be the new bowlers.

edit: also thoughts on Paine v Wade? (Ignoring Paine being injured atm)

The time is right now to get young batsmen into the Australian side I guess. Young bowlers have shown they can do it, and begrudgingly I have to admit Warner has shown promise (2 failures still need to temper expectations though).

Hussey, Ponting, Haddin, Hughes, Khawaja, Clarke all need to take a long hard look at their recent form, though Clarke is probably the safest of the bunch.

Best thing to do would be to wait until this year's Shield season is over, and look at the best younger batsmen as they have done so with bowlers. Definitely look at playing a couple of them in the series vs India though. Marsh, Paine, Cowan, Wade all need looking at. Khawaja might still be worth it, but they dont want to fuck him around like Hughes has been.

The sad thing is, Hughes has a great attitude but shocking form. I really hope he can get some form, but I think his time is up.

Totally agree, but Khawaja has to stay. He's the pick of the young generation of batsmen. Realistically young players are going to struggle against test level opposition, especially when we can't protect them with the caliber of batsmen we had 5 years ago.

Also Clarke is totally safe. He's been great since becoming captain

Deeku

To those who have imported a 3DS from USA, how are you buying eShop games?

I just tried to buy Pushmo using my Australian CC and I can't get past the zip code because it's expecting a US zipcode....

Any ideas? Or am I forced to buy US-based Nintendo points?
Yeah, I think US points is the only way unfortunately. Or maybe you can still do that thing where you change the region to Brazil and it works, but I'm not sure.

I sooo regret importing. Bought before price drop, region locking means no local bargain pick ups, effort required to pay for eshop stuff, and stuff like nintendo video don't work unless you pay for some US proxy dealy.

legend166

Ideally we'd do this:

Out: Hughes, Ponting, Haddin.

In: Watson, Marsh, Wade.

Then have this as the lineup:

Khawaja (don't think he's got the range of shots yet to play at number three)
Warner
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Siddle
Pattinson
Harris/Bollinger (whoever's fit)
Lyon

That's what I'd like to see on Boxing Day.

I'm not arguing for immediate changes but yeah, there needs to be serious consideration whether they go all out for rebuilding now or just gradually bleed in a few new players whilst carrying one or two old heads (Hussey and Ponting)?

I reckon Australia will get smashed in the India series. The only thing that will keep them competitive will be the new bowlers.

edit: also thoughts on Paine v Wade? (Ignoring Paine being injured atm)

You think? He's looked good but I'm afraid Sachin and Sehwag will belt Pattinson around the park. India just has a different class of batsmen than NZ. A healthy Harris would put us in a way better position.

Edit:
no one wants to comment on the huge slidepad?

its so big:|

Video games? In AusGAF?

legend166

What do you think of Wade vs Paine? Paine seems to be the heir apparent, but Wade is certainly deserving of the spot on his own merit. That said, Paine seems to be the better choice.

My concern with Watson is injuries again and ongoing. Great recent years but being in and out of the side surely has to hinder the opening partnership from settling down? Which is why at #3 he would be fine.

Wade has much better batting form than Paine and deserves a go. Heck, I think Peter Nevill is a batter bat than Paine. Paine is injured anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

I think keeping wise it's pretty much a wash between those three.

ShyGuy

Ideally we'd do this:

Out: Hughes, Ponting, Haddin.

In: Watson, Marsh, Wade.

Then have this as the lineup:

Khawaja (don't think he's got the range of shots yet to play at number three)
Warner
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Siddle
Pattinson
Harris/Bollinger (whoever's fit)
Lyon

That's what I'd like to see on Boxing Day.

Cummins? instead of Harris/Bollinger? (Cummins is fit isn't he?)

Yagharek

You think? He's looked good but I'm afraid Sachin and Sehwag will belt Pattinson around the park. India just has a different class of batsmen than NZ. A healthy Harris would put us in a way better position.

I meant it in terms of our bowlers being in far better form than our batting lineup.

Wade has much better batting form than Paine and deserves a go. Heck, I think Peter Nevill is a batter bat than Paine. Paine is injured anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

I think keeping wise it's pretty much a wash between those three.

I guess, but it seems Paine is the default successor in the same way Clarke was for captain, so far as general word of mouth goes. ABC Grandstand chat last week was pretty much that Wade was not quite the batsman that Paine was, from memory in terms of temperament and skill.

In any case I dont think we'll see either Wade or Paine take Haddin's spot til after the India series.

ShyGuy

Yeah, I think US points is the only way unfortunately. Or maybe you can still do that thing where you change the region to Brazil and it works, but I'm not sure.

I sooo regret importing. Bought before price drop, region locking means no local bargain pick ups, effort required to pay for eshop stuff, and stuff like nintendo video don't work unless you pay for some US proxy dealy.

Thanks, I'll keep doing research though just in case there's a way.

That Brazil thing, wouldn't it mean I'd have to pay the Brazil price?!

Jintor

correct. Nicola fuckin i have no idea about anything, Roxon is your girl now

Goddamnit, Brendan's been in this position for like, I don't know, half a decade now? Why would you shuffle him out of there? Where did he get moved to? I might just end up contacting him specifically instead of his department I guess. Alongside Nicola Roxon's department I guess.

Salazar

correct. Nicola fuckin i have no idea about anything, Roxon is your girl now

Roxon ultimately came to the view that "governments have got a role to make sure they can help people in circumstances they can't control—either through their health failing or an accident"

So her great philosophical epiphany was the bleeding obvious.

Choc

Banned
Goddamnit, Brendan's been in this position for like, I don't know, half a decade now? Why would you shuffle him out of there? Where did he get moved to? I might just end up contacting him specifically instead of his department I guess. Alongside Nicola Roxon's department I guess.

He wanted Rudd back.

Gillard has moved/demoted every single one of them that wanted Rudd back

Basically she is trying to fend off a challenge, but this is going to make it all the more likely. She didn't have the balls to remove Rudd who would have gone IND apparently if she did

Wonder what Roxon will find harder, R18 or plain packaging

plibersek took health.

legend166

We should do okay against India. Don't know if we'll win, but India aren't setting the world on fire at the moment. They are sort of the opposite of us - their batting line up is solid (except for number 6), but their bowling attack is pretty soft.

The problem is three of the four matches are on the three most 'India like' pitches in Australia - Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.

Salazar

Aah, Rudd is a cock who was out of his intellectual depth chatting with Kochie.

Glad they caught this Queensland Health fraudster. Total asshole, from everything I've read.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...er-after-hospital-release-20111212-1oq27.html

Meanwhile, Mr Barlow's New Zealand family said it was not aware of the allegations but intended to stand by him.
"He's a naughty boy if he's done that, but he's still my whanau [family]," Mr Barlow's aunt Josie Boldy told New Zealand's Sunday News.

Christ, the families of criminals are always thick.

Jintor

I didn't even know Home Affairs had anything to do with the OFLC. Wouldn't it have been McClelland? Which would now be Roxon

Edit: Goddamn multiquote

As far as I understand it, the Federal AG is in charge of enforcement within the Territories while the Classification Board (which actually categorises/tags media) falls under the jurisdiction of Home Affairs.

Choc

Banned
Any impressions on how it feels in your hands? Ergonomic?

I'm not a big fan of the screens not being central anymore.

aside from the screen being off centre when in use, its very good. Very light

Interestingly if you follow nintendos instructions when putting it together, your 3DS is permanently in this case meaning you cant pocket it

does not make sense to do that imo

Top Bottom