• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

yes jambo and thats a very good thing, but government imposed restrictions on things such as car imports is what is making things very expensive.

Negative gearing and the housing market is shit as well

edit: anyone else notice Microsoft has released a ton of ipad apps this week (one note, kinectimals etc)

I totally agree with you Choc. And I don't want to use this to rebut your point but I found it a great read: http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/3726692.html

Aren't our minimum and average wages a lot higher than other countries though?

Has anyone tried the new SBS catch-up app on the 360 yet?

I didn't even know it was out. Fuck yes. I'm checking that shit out tonight, my SBS barely works so that'll be sweet.

Jintor

Hitchhiker's is still a fucking brilliant series. Adams' writing is le amazing. I wish he hadn't gotten all depressed before he wrote book five though.

What do you guys think, should I continue with the Ranger thing or switch over fully to a Warlord role for DnD? What's more useful right now? It's not like you guys really need a striker...

Salazar

Did you guys know its more expensive to have a store on Pitt Street in Sydney than the Champs Elysee in Paris

that, is ridiculous.

Our only decent university café has been sent out of business because the university was asking them for higher-than-CBD rent.

Reasons why Warner has had a ripper year.
Reasons why Paine won't be our next full time keeper and Wade will get the nod.

Retail rip-offs driven by high rents, outlandish CBD carparking rates and restrictive planning and zoning regulations pushed shoppers to foreign websites, they said.
Agreed. Shop rental is fucking incredible. Have a look around the CBD of Geelong to see the effect. KFC, Gloria Jeans and Leading Edge all had to drop out, all that is left on the High St corner is a friggin' discount Rug store! And even they have resorted to selling "real" hair extensions now!

Our only decent university café has been sent out of business because the university was asking them for higher-than-CBD rent.
Our uni thought it best to sell off the cafe, bar and bookshop and just collect rent as it was a better profit turner than operating them. Of course that means that service is worse and prices are high.

Rezbit

OK, TasGAF guys, I'm going to set the time and place of TasGAF meetup tomorrow, probably.

It's likely to be Thursday the 22nd in the afternoon in a random pub at Salamanca at this stage, although Friday is still a valid day for everyone, except what I am currently taking to be a joke post (calling Kritz a rather nasty word as the name), so things might change. Venue is unanimous so far, so basically no hope of change there.

Sounds good. Will it just be a few of us or have a couple come out of hiding? Look forward to having a few beers, hopefully the weather is nice and we can sit outside with a few pints.

You can also do this, gravity is amazings.

skyrim_horse.jpg

The only decent use for the horse in Skyrim is to travel up vertical heights. I can run faster than most of them :|

Warner was literally the only batsmen who looked solid for us in that test. All credit to him, but that is a very stinging indictment on the current state of the team. Feel sorry for Paine, all those problems with his finger just because of some shitty Mickey Mouse T20 game. Ruined his career really. If Wade can keep it up though get him in. Anyone but Haddin at this stage. Also, maybe they should *shock* start picking players in form! I know this is a pretty outrageous concept, but it just might work.

Yagharek

The pro-business think-tank wants property stamp duty axed or slashed and first home buyer grants and negative gearing scrapped to reduce the cost divide, claiming the policies have added to the housing affordability crisis.

I cannot believe a pro business think tank wants to scrap negative gearing. Unexpected good news.

It's as shocking as Alan Jones being a voice of reason once in his life. Though I doubt that will ever happen.

Clipper

Sounds good. Will it just be a few of us or have a couple come out of hiding? Look forward to having a few beers, hopefully the weather is nice and we can sit outside with a few pints.

Well, I was trying to hide that info, but so far it's you, me and Kritz. And this random insult that I don't know is real or not.

Still, that's enough, but more TasGAF would be good. Salazar, you implied I was copying you by going to Tassie around Christmas. Did you mean you'd be in Tassie around then or was it a joke?

Choc

Banned
so viacom went fucking mental and tried to get every VGA video on youtube removed

they removed the official last of us trailer

LOL :|

Yagharek

so viacom went fucking mental and tried to get every VGA video on youtube removed

Someone should give viacom an award for services to humanity. The VGAs and all trailers associated with it were god awful abominations.

edit:

Oh god. Naughty Dog thinks Uncharted 3 is an example of great storytelling in games.

Naughty Dog has delivered a scathing verdict on the "poor" standard of storytelling in video games, revealing its aim to "change the f***ing industry" with upcoming PlayStation 3-exclusive The Last of Us.

Speaking at the studio's offices in Santa Monica on Monday, creative director and writer Neil Druckmann told Eurogamer his team wanted to "raise the bar" in order to make other game developers realise: "Okay, I really need to learn the craft of storytelling, I really need to involve my actors in this in order to get realistic performances and realistic actors. That's what we want to do."

He also argued that reviewers were too quick to praise average storytelling, which could hold back the medium's development.
"We try so hard at Naughty Dog to push things," he said. "And then games come out that are fun and exciting and get visceral things right, but to read in reviews that they have an amazing story is disheartening to us because we work so hard at it.
"As critics we need to raise the bar, otherwise no-one's going to change. We're going to keep pushing ourselves, and kill ourselves to make this story happen - but hope that by doing it, the rest of the industry is going to take notice and try to do the same thing."

Dear me. UC3 is a classic case of the designers putting story ahead of gameplay and exceeding in neither case.

I'm firmly of the opinion that in games, less is more when it comes to story. In Skyward Sword, for example, more can be said of Zelda's predicament through simple, exposition-lite cutscenes. Uncharted 3 just hits you over the head with enforced "cinematic" levels that basically rip the controller out of the player's hands.

Naughty Dog would do well to learn that the environment itself can also tell the story. Bungie knew this with Halo CE (then promptly forgot it all with the story-heavy farce of Halo 2/3). Shadow of The Colossus tells a simple but powerful story through minimal direct narration. Oddworld Stranger tells it all through gameplay and non-interrupting dialogue. Half Life 2 does a similar job.

In short, Naughty Dog are full of themselves.

Oops. I had a quick look and couldn't see it. Obviously the look wasn't beyond this page.

But yeah, insane. I thought this was pretty crazy -

"One day there was an inmate sitting beside me ... I was going grab him, get my fork or knife and I was going to whoosh into him, try and do as much damage as I could. I wouldn't care if I killed him, at least I would have been sent to Long Bay Jail, where I could talk to people, move around, be a lot freer."

Reptile/Aon are you ok to be consolidated into the $20 pool of people?
I am quite happy to surprise Aon with my present. It is still Secret Santa as I am nothing but a pile of ones and zeros to him in this form. He has no idea if I am touching myself over here on not. WHO KNOWS? Only I shall know. Also my co-workers.

EA: Play the money game and fuck off

Which is great as there is no option for me to see any of their content any way. Nice work fuckwits! I'm sure the publishers will get their own trailers up on their own servers soon enough at least.

Oh god. Naughty Dog thinks Uncharted 3 is an example of great storytelling in games.
I have an opinion that it is. I really liked the story and felt it was given to me in a very nice fashion.

Gazunta

YouTube 360 app is out! SBS on Demand app is out! Awesome, bring on the iView app and I'm a happy camper.

What are good SBS shows I haven't watched anything on it really since the days of Pizza

Please don't judge me for watching Pizza

Choc

Banned
is anyone with me on this (i think Ryan Davis is)

i just can't get into gears of war 3

i've tried multiple times and im like urgh this is just the same repetitive shit over and over again

the story is shit

the gameplay is repetitive

and i've seen it all before

anyone else?

hwo the heck did this game review so well, i woulda given a 6 or 7

Gears 2 was bland and boring. Gears 3 is MUCH better. Executed well and the environments are much more entertaining. Still the same kind of gameplay though which I can't sustain a full 3 games for me. Story was as shit as usual. Maybe a little better but the dialogue wasn't great again.

In a fashion suitable for a videogame or a movie?

Videogame. I explored, I climbed, I shot, I loved and lost. I thought the sandstorm was especially well done. Also
childhood Drake and the under pinning of his need to keep the Drake persona going in a misguided attempt to give his life a starting point.

Choc

Banned
see thats what gets me as i really liked gears 2

:|

lol @ spoiler attempt reptile :)

thats a massive spoiler as well

I do think that Naughty Dog were to scared to let the player 'fail' so to speak

the camera angle ALWAYS moved to the next pivot point, and the puzzles were quite simple in comparison to UC2

There were moments where the game frustrated me as it kept switching to a cut scene every 5 seconds

is anyone with me on this (i think Ryan Davis is)

i've tried multiple times and im like urgh this is just the same repetitive shit over and over again

the story is shit

the gameplay is repetitive

and i've seen it all before

anyone else?

hwo the heck did this game review so well, i woulda given a 6 or 7

Damn, as soon as I say I agree with you on everything I disagree with you on this.

Loved Gears 3. Sure the story was stupid but it was fun. Like an 80s action movie story.
The addition of things like the silverback and adding a completely different enemy type in the Lambert changed the gameplay up, not to mention the tower defence changes to horde and beast itself.

Actually, I'm slightly ashamed to say it but Gears 3 could be my favourite game of the year. Sure it's space marine bullshit, but ffs its Gears, what else could you be expecting.

Choc

Banned
he does not suit the English game, neither would David Villa

Liverpool under Benitez was a European team. Hence they struggled in England. Dalglish has turned them into a UK team and now tehy will struggle in Europe

like Chelsea. Chelsea is a bit of both right now. But ultimately I think AVB will make them an English team and thus they will struggle in Europe

For some reason (Arsenal aside) its hard for managers to put together teams that can do well in both.

Yagharek

I have an opinion that it is. I really liked the story and felt it was given to me in a very nice fashion.

But the difference here is that Naughty Dog are claiming their story is well above and beyond the typical style story that videogames have. In truth, Uncharted story is nothing more than a matinee movie aping experience with control taken from the player at inopportune times.

If they are going to make claims that:

"We try so hard at Naughty Dog to push things," he said. "And then games come out that are fun and exciting and get visceral things right, but to read in reviews that they have an amazing story is disheartening to us because we work so hard at it.

... It really stands out like a sore thumb when their own storyline is so cliched.

So if they are going to deride the efforts of others, they probably are a bit full of themselves.

Gears 2 was bland and boring. Gears 3 is MUCH better. Executed well and the environments are much more entertaining. Still the same kind of gameplay though which I can't sustain a full 3 games for me. Story was as shit as usual. Maybe a little better but the dialogue wasn't great again.

Videogame. I explored, I climbed, I shot, I loved and lost. I thought the sandstorm was especially well done. Also
childhood Drake and the under pinning of his need to keep the Drake persona going in a misguided attempt to give his life a starting point.

Gears and Uncharted stories are indistinguishable to me. They are there as an excuse for the scenery and barely justified in any other way. I consider it slightly less indulgent than a Metal Gear dialogue hour, but in both cases there is nothing to consider as "great storytelling".

As I said earlier, the better stories are the ones that let you fill in the gaps or rather, ones that don't hit you over the head with the implications or history of the mythos. Zelda is great in that regard, but at the same time I only mention it as it's currently in my Wii.

Gazunta

Jambo nice haul. I keep meaning to get the PA DVDs. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the extras etc. I noticed that they've taken the old episodes off their site which is...weird?

Also what's the print quality like on the new book?

jambo

Jambo nice haul. I keep meaning to get the PA DVDs. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the extras etc. I noticed that they've taken the old episodes off their site which is...weird?

Still there for me, just click the Season buttons

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/show/pa-the-series

Also what's the print quality like on the new book?

Pretty damn good. I had quick flick through and only came across 1 or 2 that were a bit low res and fuzzy.

Some of the larger, Sunday-comic style ones look beautiful, especially the Cardboard Tube Samurai.

Kritz

Banned
So these past three days or so I've been getting non-stop telepohone calls from 02-8094-4411 and 02-8094-4025. When I've answered, the call hangs up within 5 seconds. I called one of the numbers back via Google Voice as well as did a bit of googling, and the first number seems to be coming from Aegon Marketing and the other from a Commonwealth Bank possible insurance thing.

I stuck my phone on the ACMA's do not call list, but in the mean time I've had to stick my phone on silent as these calls come in like once an hour, and sometimes multiple times within a 5 minute period. The internet seems to think that it's a bug on their end where their pre-recorded message is playing before I answer, and me answering causes the machine to hang up. I've since stopped answering since there could be a possibility of me being charged for answering the call.

Any advice on what I should do? The ACMA doesn't really have any applicable avenues to complain, and I don't believe the iphone has any proper methods of blocking calls. I may be able to call up telstra and see if they can exclude certain numbers from calling, but I'm not sure if I care that much. I think I'd sooner just make a 30 second silent ringtone and apply that to the two numbers that call me.

I also wouldn't be surprised if this post ends up being the first result for "0280944411" on Google, as the only other sites that appear are shitty Revese Lookup styled pages that look dodgier than the people trying to call me.

Yagharek

This is a love post about games.

This generation there have been only two moments in any games that have made me stop. Real "wow" moments. I guess a last-gen equivalent would be the Evolution themed level in Rez, the final boss battle field in MGS3 (including the square), and the beautiful ending to Oddworld Stranger.

The two moments to date this gen have been somewhat different in tone. I don't know why, but each of them just stopped me dead.

The first, was in Super Mario Galaxy 2. The end of Slimy Spring Galaxy.

The second was in Portal 2. At the end when
the roof blows off and you ... you know
(serious spoiler)

The third such moment this gen just occurred for me. Skyward Sword, of course. I don't know if I even want to make a spoiler mention of it lest someone accidentally highlight it. I'll just leave it at saying that the scene is beautiful, and it's not even really a narrative one. Just a nice looking area.

I think this particular zone will age better than Wind Waker.

Deeku

Hitchhiker's is still a fucking brilliant series. Adams' writing is le amazing. I wish he hadn't gotten all depressed before he wrote book five though.
Good to know. I bought the collection a while ago but haven't started it yet. Really need to get back into reading, been playing too many games recently.

Jintor

Arkham City's unreliable combat system can go suck on a lemon. I love it and I hate it.

Why has nobody else in this industry learned from Bayonetta? EVERY. MOVE. SHOULD. BE. CANCELABLE.

ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Top Bottom