• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Choc

Banned
its a pretty under rated tool the CPP

i really like it :\

its also only 20 bucks from play asia and you can buy it now for your giant hands to be able to hold the 3ds without pain

i can see it being really good in the shooter games

Yagharek

Can anyone answer me this.

Why are less than mainstream, but still good quality 3DS games being killed at retail? Surely now with Mario 3DLand and Kart out, there would be more games being sat alongside them at the shelves.

Instead of seeing Ace Combat or Cave Story etc on shelves, there are still copies of puzzle bobble and asphalt 3d sitting there.

Who do I blame here? The local distributors and EB mainly. Both the two games I mentioned - Ace Combat and Cave Story were down for local release at EB. Both were silently moved to a "TBA" date in 2012. Meanwhile JB Hifi has got both games in stock, though not prominently.
I got AC there yesterday, and imported Cave Story before realising it was out locally after being delayed/not in stock when it was meant to be.

Now I hear PES 2012 is out in Europe, and its apparently not due here until Feb 24.

With DS importing was awesome due to region free. With 3DS it is not quite as awesome, though it is mitigated somewhat by European support for the system. Nintendo games seem to get a lot of quick conversions to PAL of late, so at least I'm not missing out on any choices yet.

But Australian third party distributors? Hang your heads in shame. You're all a bunch of Ozisofts.

edit:

GBA Ambassador games

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames

Goddamn Nintendo. What a fucking amazing lineup. <3 <3 <3

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Legal AusGAF, answer me this:

I parked in a two hour zone for under two hours, got back in my car and left to go get lunch, returned fifteen minutes later and parked in the same parking area, but a different space (and different sign 'zone') on the opposite side of the area. I got fined for overstaying the two hour limit.

Surely I can successfully challenge that, right?

Yagharek

I parked in a two hour zone for under two hours, got back in my car and left to go get lunch, returned fifteen minutes later and parked in the same parking area, but a different space (and different sign 'zone') on the opposite side of the area. I got fined for overstaying the two hour limit.

Not legally educated, but some questions:
a) Do you have any proof? ie two separate tickets identifying different parking spots
b) Do the tickets have any conditions printed on the back of them?
c) Who is the issuing authority? Council or a private company?
d) What does the council's website say about parking fines?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not legally educated, but some questions:
a) Do you have any proof? ie two separate tickets identifying different parking spots
b) Do the tickets have any conditions printed on the back of them?
c) Who is the issuing authority? Council or a private company?
d) What does the council's website say about parking fines?

It's not a ticket park, it's a two hour city council zone. There website doesn't seem to have any mentions of a case like this in particular.

Yagharek

It's not a ticket park, it's a two hour city council zone. There website doesn't seem to have any mentions of a case like this in particular.

Straight out I cant help you, but what I would do is call them and explain the situation and see what they say.

What state is this btw? If its NSW or Victoria, good fucking luck. Sorry :(

And how much is the fine?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Victoria. It's $61.

It's the principle of the matter that bothers me. I don't want to pay for an infringement I didn't... infringe.

Yagharek

Agreed completely, but I'm just cynically preparing you for the inevitable.

I'm going to abdicate from my advice column now until someone better informed on legal matters can help you.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
jong_729-420x0.jpg

it's happened!

Yagharek

:O

Wow

I never played Wario Land 4!

And goddamn, I can't believe Fire Emblem is there. Amazing.

These are the games I havent played:

F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Metroid Fusion
Wario Land 4
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgames

edit:

Today has been an excellent day. Reasons:

1. Found a shop selling large packets of peanut butter m&m's.
2. Got up to an incredibly beautiful area in Skyward Sword
Fweep
- this dialogue line from a friendly NPC race might give commander deek a hint as to where I mean
3. GBA Ambassador games announced
4. Got approved for new rental property (which saves a mad rush vs uni madness come january and allows us to take feb holidays as planned)
5. I still have today, thursday and friday off

Deeku

Of all those awesome games you probably picked the worst to have only played :lol

Seriously though, I am blown away by this list. I mean c'mon, FIRE EMBLEM! Never expected it to be on the list.

hamchan

I have played all the ambassodor GBA games but whatevs, at least I get something for buying the 3DS early when they could have given me nothing.

Yes, if you left the parking area, the definition of which can vary from place to place. Some parking areas are entire blocks, some are simply a row of bays (so exiting and reversing back in is counted as leaving).

You'd need to know which it is and be able to prove that you did indeed leave. They should have taken a photo of your car in the valid bay, if you can prove it was elsewhere beforehand you're right. No photo? You'll probably have a good chance.

Yagharek

Of all those awesome games you probably picked the worst to have only played :lol

Seriously though, I am blown away by this list. I mean c'mon, FIRE EMBLEM! Never expected it to be on the list.

Same here. Although my excuse is that I wasnt a portable gamer in gba times tbh. Only really got it for FF Tactics Advance and Final Fight. I have tracked down some good games though, like Advance Wars, Mario & Luigi, Rhythm Tengoku etc

Fire Emblem is a nice deal too because I honestly expected Advance Wars and seeing as I havent played much FE, it makes a damn good excuse to start again.

midonnay

wiki says bell is an adopted half-south korean.....which I didn't know...

thought he came from broome or something

edit: hmmm didn't keep up with the rookie draft.... but seems we have a dick to go with our cox >_>

It's a long shot, but would you happen to have a receipt from lunch? Pay by eftpos, by any chance?

Anything with a timestamp should be able to get you out. eg. Lunch bought 1pm, ticket issued 1:30pm

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
First Asian AFL player?

peter bell looks kinda asian >_>

Lizards are cool.

Is he? I was genuinely asking, but holycheck has not yet seen fit to elucidate us on the name of the player and the significance of his post.

wiki says bell is an adopted half-south korean.....which I didn't know...

thought he came from broome or something

Far out i copied and pasted all the quotes.. then remmebered about multiquote.

Yes, properly asian, name is Lin Jong, born to Taiwanese and East Timorese parents.

Peter Bell was something like half asian adopted by white people.

He and Cameron Ling tied for most asian before now!

remz

getting a ticket seems like such a diceroll, sometimes you don't when you clearly should have, other times you get situations like rez's above. Absolutely terrible

Yagharek

So Mario Kart Super Circuit, the GBA Ambassador game, comes with Super Mario Kart on it as well. This is news to me, and even better than what I already thought it was.

Still, MK7 kind of makes it redundant, but more Mario Kart is always a good thing.

Shaneus

Agreed. Shop rental is fucking incredible. Have a look around the CBD of Geelong to see the effect. KFC, Gloria Jeans and Leading Edge all had to drop out, all that is left on the High St corner is a friggin' discount Rug store! And even they have resorted to selling "real" hair extensions now!
I think that's partly council and partly Westfield, though. A mate had a good suggestion that they should make all the parking along that stretch of Moorabool absolutely free (and possibly down to the bay and up to the top of the hill). Get people parking there and force them to walk to Bay City, stores open so people don't have to walk (people are lazy) and bingo, stores.
To be fair though, Leading Edge was never going to last with JB. But it astounded me just how quickly Gloria Jeans shut up shop. I barely knew it was there before it closed.

This is amazing

http://i.imgur.com/ho3V2.png

and fallback we have much in australia to be thankful for, corporate arseholes ripping us off (including the banks) is not one of them.
Wow. Surely that's a bot? It looks like something Dr. Sbaitso would say.

Hitchhiker's is still a fucking brilliant series. Adams' writing is le amazing. I wish he hadn't gotten all depressed before he wrote book five though.
AFAIK, he only wrote some of 5... I don't even think more than 60-70% of it. If it was edited to suit the tone that the finishing author set in the final chapters, that might explain it. But I never read the fifth book because for so long the first four were all that there were, that that's all I believed there were. Kinda like the eps 4-6 of Star Wars, I guess.

1 month and not even half way to AusGaf edition 6. What happened?
The new quote button happened.

YouTube 360 app is out! SBS on Demand app is out! Awesome, bring on the iView app and I'm a happy camper.

What are good SBS shows I haven't watched anything on it really since the days of Pizza

Please don't judge me for watching Pizza
For some reason, the giant APPS button on the main screen doesn't work for me, and the only apps that show up on the regular apps screen are Dailymotion, nineMSN, Facebook and Twitter. To get YT and SBS, I had to find the page that was "advertising" those and go through there. Even then, YT was slow and SBS dropped out on me several times. I can see it's impressive, but shit just ain't working for me.

Oh, and the first thing I watched was an episode of Housos. Surprisingly funny, but felt guilty as hell for enjoying it.

So, new PC is up and running. Is godly. But somewhere along the line one of my graphics cards decided to completely give up the ghost. Now whenever it's plugged in, it refuses to boot. Thankfully I have another card but gawd damn it's frustrating. At least it's only a short amount of time before the ATI 7000s (like I'm going to go down that path again, fucking shitty driver support) and nVidia 600s make an appearance. Also found out that I've owned the card for right-on a year but Asus have 3 year warranties on their cards. Whoop.

Yagharek

I enjoy Uncharted on the same level as Indiana Jones. I think the writing is just as good as the first 3 movies (there was no fucking 4th okay). Whereas Gears is all over the shop, especially when it comes to characterisation.

Uncharted 3 was almost as good as The Crystal Skull.

Gear's story was about on par with Battlefield: Earth, or at least what BF:E was like if you watched it whilst drunk and had foam industrial noise earplugs in.

Obligatory LOOKATALLDATJOOCE*10000

Why has nobody else in this industry learned from Bayonetta? EVERY. MOVE. SHOULD. BE. CANCELABLE.
Have you wandered into this thread by chance? I hear it is related to some fine chaps who are tangentially related to Kojima getting depressed and my pantaloons becoming too tight for my opinion.
ros4vlwb.gif

Victoria. It's $61.

It's the principle of the matter that bothers me. I don't want to pay for an infringement I didn't... infringe.
Dispute it. Lay out what you did and refuse to pay because you did the right thing. At the very worst they will eventually (like years down the track) serve a warrant for a Sheriff to ask you to pay the damn fine and some interest. My co-worker had a LOT of unpaid speeding fines (like $800) and it took them 6 years to bring her in front of the local court to tell her to pay them.

Also maybe someone with common sense will throw it out, especially if there is no proof that you did the wrong thing.

1 month and not even half way to AusGaf edition 6. What happened?
Work got busy and stressful. Also far less back and forth debating going on. Just relentless negativity.

I think that's partly council and partly Westfield, though. A mate had a good suggestion that they should make all the parking along that stretch of Moorabool absolutely free (and possibly down to the bay and up to the top of the hill). Get people parking there and force them to walk to Bay City, stores open so people don't have to walk (people are lazy) and bingo, stores..
Too much of a good idea. They tried to do it here in Warrnambool and the council said, "LOL! Fuck you guys, we just want that sweet, sweet parking meter coinage so we can swim in our Scrooge McDuck coin tanks. Fuck the local business economy!"

Shaneus

PS. The 360 TV apps make the make the PS3 channels look like fucking amateur hour. Which I guess they are, given how slapdash most of Sony's UI stuff tends to be.

Watching The Larry Sanders Show on the i7 viewer,and it's nowhere near full screen and the options all relate to the web browser, not playing movies. Zooming zooms in on the top left of the entire page and about a third of the video itself. What a load a frustrating piece of shit.

On that note, Larry Sanders Show looks like it might be a bit funny. Is it worth chasing up?

Edit: Jeffrey Tambor with a moustache? Damn, I have to get this show.

Kritz

Banned
Man, I know other people had said so, but the Fish 345 place in North Hobart is pretty sweet.

If Salamanca wasn't so attractive, and if this place wasn't do damn busy, it'd be an okay place for a TasGAF meet.

Great ice cream, too.

Shaneus

Fans of Nick Kroll, Lake Bell, and others (cbf) check out A Good Old Fashioned Orgy
Cheerio for the tip. Love you. PS. Tits?

PPS. This episode of Larry Sanders has a baby Haley-Joel Osment as a "network executive". Didn't realise Janeane Garofalo was in it too. Humna humna.

Edit: Ahahaha. After finishing an "ad" in this i7 thing, I got a "The (something) is out of memory. Taking you to a blank page.". Fucking bravo, Sony/i7. Cunts.

Rezbit

Man, I know other people had said so, but the Fish 345 place in North Hobart is pretty sweet.

If Salamanca wasn't so attractive, and if this place wasn't do damn busy, it'd be an okay place for a TasGAF meet.

Great ice cream, too.

I'm still yet to go there. I usually hit up Flippers on the wharf for my fish and chip needs.

Yagharek

PS. The 360 TV apps make the make the PS3 channels look like fucking amateur hour. Which I guess they are, given how slapdash most of Sony's UI stuff tends to be.

Sony's TV on demand (iView and Ch7) are essentially just web browsers through the default browser. But they work well. Or at least ABC does - ch7 has nothing worth watching at all.

That said, at least its possible to find stuff on the PS3 menu. Everything is organised nice and neatly and hierarchically. 360's UI looks like it was slapped together by advertisers instead of UI designers. Clean and simple > *

And I say that as someone who is generally quite enamoured with WP7 Metro.

I'm still yet to go there. I usually hit up Flippers on the wharf for my fish and chip needs.

Bes Mudi's was the best. :(

Kritz

Banned

Mewyers is my usual fish joint, but is also about five tImes more sleezy. This place makes me feel a little bit berret-wearing hipstery, but the food's good and there's no screaming children.

And there's a legs and breasts across the road selling dr pepper!

Shaneus

Sony's TV on demand (iView and Ch7) are essentially just web browsers through the default browser. But they work well. Or at least ABC does - ch7 has nothing worth watching at all.

That said, at least its possible to find stuff on the PS3 menu. Everything is organised nice and neatly and hierarchically. 360's UI looks like it was slapped together by advertisers instead of UI designers. Clean and simple > *
I remember when I last had a firmware update (before 4.0) and somehow the icons for each of the channels had completely disappeared for no reason. Never did work out how the fuck they came back, but they did eventually reappear. Fucking Sony.

And I'm actually getting used to the new UI on the 360. You can always be fairly sure that if they've made a choice in design, there's usually a good reason. With Sony, it's more "Oh shit, we have to put a frontend on this thing?".

Aaaaand, "Not enough memory" again. If it can't handle a fucking browser, no wonder Skyrim has issues.

Top Bottom