• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Salazar

So, I'm trying to pick a minor. I was going to do Asian Studies (it goes with Japanese and Korean) but I'm thinking about branching off and doing either Journalism or economics. Can anyone recommend either? Or have any experience?

UQ ?

No experience in either. The only Econ faculty member I'm familiar with (apart from a right wing lunatic who has now mercifully retired) is John Quiggin, and he is good people. Outstanding people. I don't know what his teaching load is, though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My only advice when deciding to "branch off" is to make sure you closely examine what the units will actually be, like how they're marked, what previous student feedback is like and how the units split up lectures and tutorials. It's easy to get sucked in by sexy course names. Don't fall into that trap.

Deeku

I thought the thread was moving insanely fast. That graph some one made in the last thread is coming trueeee.

So, I'm trying to pick a minor. I was going to do Asian Studies (it goes with Japanese and Korean) but I'm thinking about branching off and doing either Journalism or economics. Can anyone recommend either? Or have any experience?

Are you confident with maths? The maths in economics isn't hard, but it's usually assumed that you did above average in maths at high school.

Free Economics lesson! Supply and demand. Actually just learn that.

Not just you. Pretty sure I know when it slowed too.
We all felt Peter Roebucks death pretty heavily.

Well, more the fields in general, but its good to know there are some good professors (?) in the faculty.

Are you confident with maths? The maths in economics isn't hard, but it's usually assumed that you did above average in maths at high school.

ng... I did alright in high school, but I haven't used much since. I wasn't fantastic, but I was never bad at maths. I was mainly thinking about it because it would give me a wider skillset (and probably some more practical knowledge - people are always saying I can't just use language, I'll need something else to actually get a job).

Rez said:
My only advice when deciding to "branch off" is to make sure you closely examine what the units will actually be, like how they're marked, what previous student feedback is like and how the units split up lectures and tutorials. It's easy to get sucked in by sexy course names. Don't fall into that trap.

ha, I've done this before. Luckily the uni site is pretty detailed, so I can see week by week breakdowns of what's being taught.

Kirby's ban was too much for us!

D: what, banned you say?!

Deeku

ng... I did alright in high school, but I haven't used much since. I wasn't fantastic, but I was never bad at maths. I was mainly thinking about it because it would give me a wider skillset (and probably some more practical knowledge - people are always saying I can't just use language, I'll need something else to actually get a job).
As long as you know simple algebra and maybe basic derivatives, you'll be fine for up to 3rd year economics units. A majority of actual calculations is really simple, it's just understanding the theory and maths together can be difficult for some students.

Most of the economics I did was drawing graphs and explaining the same couple of concepts over and over again by applying them to different scenarios.

Definitely go see an academic advisor though!

Salazar

It is also in journalism's favour that it is in its own school, more or less, and is not part of EMSAH. I swear, we are a circus.

qbcx5.png

yeah
that happened.
call me Lord Banana from now on as thats my official title.
if your ever in the neighborhood swing by and we can have a picnic.

yeah
that happened.
call me Lord Banana from now on as thats my official title.
if your ever in the neighborhood swing by and we can have a picnic.

lol Scotland. They don't count!

I finished easily inside the top 10 of my year level at school.

Reason to go public confirmed. Look better than what you actually are. ;)
We had 6 of us in Year 12 and another 6 doing that not-vce-but-please-stick-around-for-another-year-and-get-some-trade-certificate-of-some-kind

Omikron

Molly Meldrum huh, doesn't sound too good.

Unfortunately I know what it is like after someone has a big fall like that and the resulting injuries that can occur. His age isn't going to be helpful.

Salazar

JB HI-FI surprised the market late yesterday with a pre-Christmas downgrade that shattered hopes the festive season would save retailers.
After the 4pm close, JB Hi-Fi said while sales were broadly in line with earlier guidance, profits had been hit by steep price deflation, particularly in TV panels that have fallen 20-25 per cent.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/business/jb-slump-stuns-market-20111215-1owt4.html#ixzz1gaWp56lO

EatChildren and Rez got to step it up. What's gon sell, what's gon sell.

Choc

Banned
If you become an economist expect to be told every day you don't know how to do your job as none of them predicted the GFC

economists haev a complete lack of credibility right now

I thought the thread was moving insanely fast. That graph some one made in the last thread is coming trueeee.

I have actually been in both UQ journalism and econ.

I sucked at maths so ditched economics pretty quickly, but the theory is hells interesting. Salazar is right Quiggan was a good guy. He taught one of the few econ classes I enjoyed, really theory heavy and maths lite.

Journalism is pretty good at UQ too. I think a bunch of the teachers that were there when I was there have left, but they're adding new facilities like online tv and radio and have a brand new building that is pretty pimp. Better than the dongas that I had to deal with anyway.

Hate all you want guys.
at one point in the future my ids will have lord on them and so will my bank statements so i dont care what you all say.

Choc

Banned
so omi, smh

A-League has appointed teh referee that denied a clear penalty to Archie Thompson for the Victory game thsi week

he was torn apart in the media. The aleague needed to keep him away from MV for a few weeks at least to move on from that.

It's in Melbourne as well, not a smart move on the referee appointers part imho.

Jintor

My twitter feed and tumblr is exploding with Yanks decrying this SOPA thing. So I guess America is banning the internet or something equally stupid? Also A different bill made it a lot easier for random shit to be considered terrorism on American soil?

People have been talking about SOPA for months, it seems like finally some people might be listening to it. Yes, it's a stupid bill.

If it passes, we'll likely see something here in a few years, so it's bad for everyone.

My twitter feed and tumblr is exploding with Yanks decrying this SOPA thing. So I guess America is banning the internet or something equally stupid? Also A different bill made it a lot easier for random shit to be considered terrorism on American soil?

I liked the tweet from someone last week that a guy who uploads a Michael Jackson song would get more time in jail than the Doctor who killed him according to the regulations that the recording industry want to bring in.

Basically a lot of groups are pushing their luck right now, fuck the people!

Choc

Banned
i saw that tweet as well reptile

it sounds insane, i never thought i would see america passing a worse legislation than our proposed filter

Clipper

OK, TasGAF meetup is going to be in the afternoon of Thursday the 22nd of December at Salamanca. It's only 3 of us, one of us living in Sydney, so far but others are willing to join. Kritz or Rezbit, please suggest a time and meeting place, preferably near a bus stop or train station so I don't get lost :p.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So what's everyone's plans this weekend?

For me it's trying not to lose my balance which is why, like always, I will be seated in a chair! I've got 10 episode of homeland to watch tomorrow. The first ep sucked me in and it's getting praise on gaf and from a few ausgaffers.

Then it's battlefield 3 back to kark and some tf2 since its Christmas I guess. Hopefully there's a few ausgaffers floating around for some terrible battle log party group bf3.

hamchan

So what's everyone's plans this weekend?

For me it's trying not to lose my balance which is why, like always, I will be seated in a chair! I've got 10 episode of homeland to watch tomorrow. The first ep sucked me in and it's getting praise on gaf and from a few ausgaffers.

Then it's battlefield 3 back to kark and some tf2 since its Christmas I guess. Hopefully there's a few ausgaffers floating around for some terrible battle log party group bf3.

Homeland is a pretty awesome show so i'll be watching more of that this weekend too. I'll also be watching more American Horror Story, a not so awesome show that I like for some reason. Then BF3, CoD or SC2 for games.

Choc

Banned
desperate times call for desperate measures

SIMON KATICH is ready to dust off his baggy green if stunningly recalled to the Test side for Boxing Day after one of the most dramatic sagas in Australian cricket took a twist last night.

Captain Michael Clarke is said to be behind a push to reinstate the deposed opener, according to a report on Channel Nine last night, as Australia seek to address their batting woes after the humiliating defeat to New Zealand earlier this week.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...ays-manager-20111215-1owvx.html#ixzz1geRYc99R

im not saying he is shit, but he certaintly burnt his bridges

Katich would be a good short term solution but I don't know how much he would want in with Clarke again

No windows or air con on this train. Also the ticket dude gave me a lecture on prebooking tickets for a half empty train. Would have been cheaper to drive and park at a mates place. Need my concession card again, damn parenting payment mumbo jumbo

Top Bottom