• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Cohsae

So according to the word coming down the Twittertubes, Chris "why a" Remo has left Irrational and is back in San Fran doing...something? At any rate, could this mean the return of some sort of Thumbs? According to Mr. Remo, "Perhaps".
It's worrying how much this excites me.

Shaneus

YOU SLEEP STEALING BASTARD.

Also, Flatout 3 is out? It's being advertised on GMG. Totes sent out to die?

Cohsae: Gaynor has left Irrational as well.

Cohsae

Yeah I just noticed there's a big old thread in gaming. Of course GAF would beat me to the punch. Bit odd Gaynor leaving as well.

The majority of Xmas shopping done, but no Vanquish PS3 left at JB, boo! Now for beers and The Old Republic. Hit me up on The Swiftsure server, as Voidros, Sith Bounty Hunter.

Deeku

Anyone importing a Vita?

I have to avoid the official Vita thread to resist impulse buys.
Where were you thinking of importing from? Play-asia price is way too high at the moment. And then there's the whole paying ridiculous shipping prices from Japan due to the lithium battery thing they have.

I'll probably just wait and pick one up when I'm in Japan early next year.

Ydahs

Ugh, I need a job for the next couple of months. So bored at home :/

Where were you thinking of importing from? Play-asia price is way too high at the moment. And then there's the whole paying ridiculous shipping prices from Japan due to the lithium battery thing they have.

I'll probably just wait and pick one up when I'm in Japan early next year.

I've never imported from Japan so I really don't know. I'll probably hold off and import it from the states anyway, since it's cheapest there. $250 + memcard price + shipping will put it at roughly $300.

Deeku

I've never imported from Japan so I really don't know. I'll probably hold off and import it from the states anyway, since it's cheapest there. $250 + memcard price + shipping will put it at roughly $300.
Yeah, that's probably still the best import option. But I'm pretty sure once the launch craze settles down, the online prices will too so you could probably import a JPN/Asian unit from places like play-asia for close to 300 in mid to late Jan.

Bathroom was finally finished just before lunch. Never felt so good to have shower in my life after last night. Although it is a stupid hose on the wall one now. Water pressure is still good. I think the shower base is only 800cm2 too. Too bad about the fancy new mirror cupboard, need to be 5'6" at most in order to see your face. It's at about nipple heigh for me.

Pub crawl went okay, ended up going to a korean sports bar that had $5 Carltons for access to activities. Much fun was had. Then the Pub crawl was meant to end at Goldfingers much to our dismay as we just wanted to drink, cover charges (and the rest) are for chumps! Ended up going to Crown with an old housemate and had half a beer before realising I was at my munt point for the morning. So I watched him blow $5 on the pokies, while dropping in $1 myself and ending up a $2.50 winner with my awesome minimum 2c bets!, before he thought about putting a pineapple to use as well and I decided to drag him home lest he lose all his money and not pay for the taxi back to Richmond. I also lost my cheap pair of sunglasses somewhere, no big loss.

4 hours sleep does not make 4 hours of travel enjoyable. East Richmond -> Southern Cross train was so damn slow, waited at least 4 minutes at each station as well as dawdling along. 7/11 had Bananas for $1 though which was awesome for my poor stomach.

I missed you, my sweet GAF.
Try to stick around a bit longer this time!

Just as analog control has become essential since Mario 64, I think motion controls can and should become essential with more games following the precedent of Skyward Sword.
While people were marvelling over the N64 stick I was playing every game under the sun on my PC with the awesome Gravis Gamepad which had an analogue stick. Not to mention my flight stick for X-Wing etc.

Also motion control games don't sell big enough outside of Nintendo titles. I would expect motion controls to become more accepted and included in consoles but I don't think publishers will make it their focus.

Now I come home to the news that one of the greatest public intellectuals of our time, Christopher Hitchens, has passed away.
Dang I had no idea either. Very, very smart man. Was looking forward to seeing him and Dawkins next year. :(

Early Entourage is great, It does get a little stupid as the years go on.
Second season is the peak, like really, really great. After that it is all down hill. I blame Marky Mark leaving.

shanshan

::knockknockknock:::

shanshan

shanshan

Fixed for accuracy you heathen.

So, caught up with reptile, he's a stand-up dude.
Shane was also of the ability of standing, although we sat for most of the time since standing is for chumps when seats are available and old people aren't giving you the daggers. Less Ginger than I expected, looked more like a light brown to my amateur league eyes. Plenty was talked about and much more could have.

Man, being the only sober person in the room at the work Christmas party makes for a loooong night.

One week left of work and then two weeks off! I'm toying with the idea of not drawing comics for one of those weeks and just working on the website and books instead.
Why were you sober? Also get a guest week going on the comic! Everybody does it when they need a break.

I have been up since 4:50am playing The Old Republic.

It rules.
So we won't be seeing much of you here then :( Damn MMO's

Oh shit I just slept 14 hours.
Even when I am batching I can't sleep for that long any more. Before I met the fiancée I would regularly go to bed at 2am and not get up until noon. Like every day. Felt soo good to wake up but soo unproductive.

Yeah I just noticed there's a big old thread in gaming. Of course GAF would beat me to the punch. Bit odd Gaynor leaving as well.
Idle Thumbs relaunch as RPS USA, branching out to console games as well. Believe.

IOU's or just do what my brother does most years- "It hasn't shipped yet."
That has been my plan this year, ended up running to KMart today to grab Senna for $25 since the parentals are here this weekend and Mum is getting some re-gifted bathroom garbage. Would be rude to only give Mum a present!

Kritz

Banned
Haircut, get!

I am sorry clipper you will not get to see me at my most repulsive, neckbeardy programmer-art state. Although, give it a week...

I can safely say after playing it for 5 minutes, Magicka is not for me. 7/10

Does IGN need reviewers? I feel I'm qualified to make snap judgements based on fleeting time playing a game

Cohsae

Does IGN need reviewers? I feel I'm qualified to make snap judgements based on fleeting time playing a game

Did you play it with multiple friends and spend the whole time trying to kill each other? If not you haven't really played Magicka.

I had it on for literally minutes. i don't claim to have played it properly, just that what I saw wasn't for me.

I also have Trine 2 to try out in the next few days. My time is divided fairly evenly between Zelda SS and MW3 MP (both of which i'm enjoying a lot so any other games really have to grab me)

So Dick Smith has a Wii bundle for $138 here which seems pretty cheap so I was seriously considering getting one but I learnt the new horizontal wii doesn't accept game cube controllers or have backwards compatibility with GC games either.

I kinda want to play super smash bros and stuff so that is kind of a dealbreaker.

Any places have the old Wii for cheap?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So Dick Smith has a Wii bundle for $138 here which seems pretty cheap so I was seriously considering getting one but I learnt the new horizontal wii doesn't accept game cube controllers or have backwards compatibility with GC games either.

I kinda want to play super smash bros and stuff so that is kind of a dealbreaker.

o_O

So, caught up with reptile, he's a stand-up dude. Though I'm a little curious as to why, when someone else at Fed Square was calling out "Jase" to their mate... he flinched. I think I'm onto something.
Or, he may have been scared at the thought that I was in the vicinity. My mum still finches and hides behind the closest object when she hears "Jason."

Man, being the only sober person in the room at the work Christmas party makes for a loooong night.
That will be me on Monday night.

I'm on about 4 hours sleep since Thursday and I think I'm going to cry :(
You're a big girl.

Yes.

Shaneus

Or. he may have been scared at the thought that I was in the vicinity. My mum still finches and hides behind the closest object when she hears "Jason."
Wait. "Jase" is short for "Jason"?
WPVhS.gif

Shane was also of the ability of standing, although we sat for most of the time since standing is for chumps when seats are available and old people aren't giving you the daggers. Less Ginger than I expected, looked more like a light brown to my amateur league eyes. Plenty was talked about and much more could have.
Hm, I thought my ginger was still fairly prominent. I guess it's more "auburn". Perhaps I'm just used to copping jokes at work about the red hair and being from Geelong :(

PS. Apologies for not being able to chat when the other dude was there... funnily enough, he's someone else I know via another internet forum. I guess it has been known that forum nerds tend to naturally flock to outside beer-serving places when the weather is pleasant to attempt to shatter the illusion that they're indoor-dwelling mammals who never see the light of day.

So, tried the new(?) cheeseburger Twisties. Not entirely sold on them. Kinda remind me of the Big Red Smith's chips. On that note, I really, really fucking miss Ruffles. :(

At our pizza joint we had a guy who refused to answer to Jason, it was Jace or nothing. He has full on OG white boy gangsta though so that had a lot to do with it.

Shaneus said:
PS. Apologies for not being able to chat when the other dude was there... funnily enough, he's someone else I know via another internet forum. I guess it has been known that forum nerds tend to naturally flock to outside beer-serving places when the weather is pleasant to attempt to shatter the illusion that they're indoor-dwelling mammals who never see the light of day.
I was more just soaking it in that he had something to do with one of my favourite games than anything else, I had been meaning to bail earlier to get on the pub crawl but kept losing track of time. Didn't expect to have consistent meaningful conversations, thought it would get weird after an hour or so. Not used to this internet dating hookup discussions between friends stuff as I really only frequented the Kotaku commenting section before GAF. I also don't have much experience in the Melbourne rave scene aside from the stories I heard from our mentor in first year of uni. LOTS OF DRUGS AND EAR DRUM DAMAGE. That reunion thing last night would have been totally up his alley if he wasn't living up in Sydney at the moment.

Shaneus said:
So, tried the new(?) cheeseburger Twisties. Not entirely sold on them. Kinda remind me of the Big Red Smith's chips. On that note, I really, really fucking miss Ruffles. :(
I keep seeing them and keep holding off. The last variant didn't impress me and Red Rock continue to release new variants every month or so to keep my attention.

guidop

WPVhS.gif

God Tim and Eric are great job, for your fashion and health awesome pep pep show

If you are a fan check out the music videos Eric Wareheim has made, they are all on his Vimeo account. I hope one day they make a feature

edit; They have a movie coming out next year. COOL

midonnay

MI4 was okay....... but "too many notes"

Dark Knight returns preview was meh....

Bane fucking mumbled through his dialogue.... could barely understand him.

I hope its just the Imax sound system ,....coz that got annoying fast.

Jintor

Our new TV has a YouTube app. Watching GiantBomb vids on a huge-ass TV while cooking is a little surreal.

I kind of want like a Roku/Boxxy box now so I can get a dedicated App for Tested/GB content. The built-in Sony YouTube app sucks dick, I can't log into my own account, I can't see videos sorted by users, it's craptacular for anything other than searching and watching videos you've found.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Holy crap today was busy.

Holy crap tomorrow probably will be too.

Clipper

Haircut, get!

I am sorry clipper you will not get to see me at my most repulsive, neckbeardy programmer-art state. Although, give it a week...
I'm getting my haircut sometime in the next three days... to shoulder length... it's currently half-way down my back... so yeah, you'll miss out on that too.

Can't really help you find a deal. I think you will find it very hard to find a 'new' old Wii, to be honest. You could probably find a cheap, second hand Gamecube fairly easily and get both. If you do find an old Wii or decide to go with the new one after all, can I be your Wii Connection Ambassador? We get 500 free Nintendo Points each (valued at AU$7.50, enough for a NES game) to spend on the Wii Shop if you do. Just PM or post here for details and I'll be glad to help.

I've lost 5kg in the last month.

Feelsgoodmangreen.jpg
Good work, mate! With trips back to Brissy, visitors and Christmas parties, I've only lost 6kg in the last 8 weeks. A bit of a let down from the 30kg in my first 20 weeks on the diet, but at least I'm still losing :).

So, what's your technique? Diet, exercise or both?

WTF. Checked out the trailer for Tucker & Dale Vs Evil on Shaneus' advice and then tried to look at the one for Goon. Redirect to IGN.au. Okay. Watch unskippable 15 second commercial. Okay. Enter birthdate? Fuck okay. Click okay. Click okay. CLICK OKAY. Alright, I bet the fucking lazy shits at the Australian site use the damn backwards date format. Correct. Why the fuck was I redirected to the Australian site then? If it knows I am in Australia it probably can already accurately work out how old I am.

Sanic Ganerations from the supreme Sonic thread.

God Tim and Eric are great job, for your fashion and health awesome pep pep show
Tim & Eric + Ben Folds + Regina Spektor = Joy. Also the universe and bodyboarding. My surfy mates loved the hell out of that one back at uni.

Dark Knight returns preview was meh....
I don't belive you! It will be magical!

This will be me on opening night
c5onU.gif

Salazar

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...-mount-coottha-luge-crash-20111217-1ozlm.html

A woman street-luge rider has been killed in what other lugers say was a "freak" accident in Brisbane's western suburbs.

Website designer Sue Wickenden, 50, was killed when she failed to negotiate a turn and struck a steel barrier while riding with a group of lugers at Mount Coot-tha early today.

At those speeds, on regular turning streets, at that age, on a difficult-to-control sled, in the most passive position possible ? I'm calling it not freak.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...-mount-coottha-luge-crash-20111217-1ozlm.html

At those speeds, on regular turning streets, at that age, on a difficult-to-control sled, in the most passive position possible ? I'm calling it not freak.

Of course the other lugers are going to say it is a freak accident. They don't want to get in trouble or get restricted because of the incident. Also you are stupid if you don't do proper risk management in such a dangerous sport. Wouldn't catch me doing that kind of stuff.

Cohsae

I'll say this, serious respect for a 50 year old lady (who's the CEO of some company) being a hardcore street-luger. That's pretty rad.

Salazar

Of course the other lugers are going to say it is a freak accident. They don't want to get in trouble or get restricted because of the incident.

Mmmmhmmm. This bugs me.

"It was very safe. She had full leathers and a motorbike helmet on," said Mr Johnson, who was involved in the event.

C'mon pal. You know that means next to nothing at serious speed.

I'll say this, serious respect for a 50 year old lady (who's the CEO of some company) being a hardcore street-luger. That's pretty rad.

The discussion that could be had is her responsibility to all the people in her life who depended on her, with her dangerous hobby. I wonder how my company would react if they found out I went hardcore rock climbing with no backup equipment. One false movement and a lot of cards come tumbling down without notice.

Salazar

Is that the one where he's using his bosses house to throw a party? Ari goes hard on him there. The move with his drink is just plain nasty.

Yeah. I've chewed through Season 1 in a flash. So good.

Tas-GAF, is it cold around Christmas down there ?

Gazunta

BLACKLISTED.

Try multiplayer if you have a chance. It's where the game really shines in that Gauntlet kind of way.

In other news, staring at a blank document in Photoshop fucking sucks.

Clipper

Yeah. I've chewed through Season 1 in a flash. So good.

Tas-GAF, is it cold around Christmas down there ?

I've heard from my rellies that they have on occasion had a white Christmas or two in Hobart. I'm expecting mid-teens like the last time I went down there over the Christmas period.

Also, why haven't you responded to any of the TasGAF meetup posts? It's currently set for Thursday afternoon, but there were other dates open if you won't be there yet or are already busy that day.

Salazar

Also, why haven't you responded to any of the TasGAF meetup posts? It's currently set for Thursday afternoon, but there were other dates open if you won't be there yet or are already busy that day.

I'm going to be around Salamanca but I don't yet know on what days. I'm cool for a drink if I'm there.

lol, white Christmas. Better reassess my luggage.

Top Bottom