• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Kritz

Banned
HOLY FUCK

So, I decided on Thursday that I wanted to program a multiplayer flash game.

Today, I finally got the multiplayer part going.

fgyXQ.png

So far all you do is place balls and other people can see them. This is the first playable multiplayer build of my engine. I can't link it, because I will take down the server in like five minutes anyway, but that work of "art" was done by about 6-7 people on ausgaf chat together.

BOY THAT WAS HARD TO MAKE.

My userlist is complete garbage, too!

Code:
        for(int i=0; i<sockets.length-1; i++)
        {
            if(i==sockets.length-1 && sockets[i]!=null)
            {
                sockets[i] = null; // THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER
            }
            if(sockets[i]==null || sockets[i].isClosed())
            {
                sockets[i]=s;
                System.out.println("There are " + (i+1) + " user(s), probably");
                i=sockets.length-1;
            }
        }

Each socket in the array is a user. If you can read code, I'm sure you'll be thrilled for what happens when there are more users than the size of the array. (I will be changing this to a linked list asap)

I'm super super glad I got this far. I feel like these past two months I've had a focus on artist stuff too much, so it was nice to do something logical for a change.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have something a bit more, um, gamey. Maybe.

Clipper

I'm going to be around Salamanca but I don't yet know on what days. I'm cool for a drink if I'm there.

lol, white Christmas. Better reassess my luggage.

Well, if you figure out you're going to be around on Thurday afternoon, PM either Kritz, Rez or me with your phone number and we'll sort it out. It's currently 1:15pm at the Franklin Square fountain, then moving into Salamanca, so we can meet you at either place if you're free.

Rezbit

I've heard from my rellies that they have on occasion had a white Christmas or two in Hobart. I'm expecting mid-teens like the last time I went down there over the Christmas period.

Also, why haven't you responded to any of the TasGAF meetup posts? It's currently set for Thursday afternoon, but there were other dates open if you won't be there yet or are already busy that day.

LOL white winter! It sometimes might snow on the mountain, but never in the city. I think the snow may have touched the lower suburbs once in....40? years? It's going to be 20 degrees and above all week. Make of that what you will!

Also I've been drinking yay beer.

Darklord

Banned
Good work, mate! With trips back to Brissy, visitors and Christmas parties, I've only lost 6kg in the last 8 weeks. A bit of a let down from the 30kg in my first 20 weeks on the diet, but at least I'm still losing :).

So, what's your technique? Diet, exercise or both?

I already eat ok so I've been doing weights and going for walks, 2-5km 5 days a week.

Kritz

Banned
My Multiplayer Flash Game - For as long as I can be bothered hosting it (20 minutes maybe?)

Notes
Click to place balls. Balls will be a client-unique (well...) colour.
You will not see balls placed by users who were on the server before you.
Dongs, everywhere.

EDIT: SHIT IS DOWN.

awww
i wrote a big post and then it errored out
lss
killed a real spider.
EDIT: cant find the corpse in the tissue. probably still alive. im not sleeping tonight.
kritz should use not circles
but the colour makes it way more fun.
good job jeremy

Oh hey wanted to ask you guys, what's the track record like on returning stuff to MSY? Beginner / Advanced / Expert?
i returned a cable i got a year later because apparently you cant have a usb cable longer than 6ft and still have it carry data, but that only cost 2 dollars.
btw anyone know how im supposed to get usb to work on a longer cable. its normal to mini for a external hdd. there has to be a way right. or are you telling me that no one uses a decent sized usb cable.
anyway what are you trying to return gaz

Yoshiya

I'm going to be around Salamanca but I don't yet know on what days. I'm cool for a drink if I'm there.

lol, white Christmas. Better reassess my luggage.

Uhhh I spent the day on a sun lounge and got burnt. We do have a summer in Hobart, you know. The forecast looks like low to mid twenties.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So what's the difference between the verticle wii and horizontal one? It's just backwards compatibility yea?

My old man wants to get mum one for christmas.

Also, best place to get one / deal on at the moment? paging vooks!

Clipper

So what's the difference between the verticle wii and horizontal one? It's just backwards compatibility yea?

My old man wants to get mum one for christmas.

Also, best place to get one / deal on at the moment? paging vooks!

roosters93 posted a $138 Mario Kart w/wheel bundle deal at Dick Smith (online only) last night. Probably can't get much better than that. Also, if you don't have an Aussie Wii of your own, I'd be really happy to do the Wii Ambassador thing so that they get the free 500 coins to spend on a NES game on the VC or one of the smaller WiiWare games.

That goes for anybody else also getting or receiving Wiis for Christmas as well. I'm so close to getting the total quota to get access to all the SNES and N64 games on the VC, and I'm certainly happy to gift out all the ones I already bought to AusGAF if I do make it...

i returned a cable i got a year later because apparently you cant have a usb cable longer than 6ft and still have it carry data
I'm pretty sure you can get USB cables up to 10m (I have a couple of 10m ones), but once you hit 3m it won't be able to transfer power so need your device either to be extremely low powered or have it's own power source.

Oh hey wanted to ask you guys, what's the track record like on returning stuff to MSY? Beginner / Advanced / Expert?
All the MSYs I've dealt with have been extremely difficult to deal with for after-sales stuff. In fact, I never shop at them any more unless it's something I know I'm never going to return because the experience is usually bad.

If you can get an RMA direct from the manufacturer, get that first and then go in so they have no choice but to take it. MSY won't take stuff unless it is actually faulty, so many sure you know how to replicate whatever fault you have.

Tempted, really tempted, but I'm not a fan of Expansys...

Hey, Kritz, if your language supports it, use ++i instead of i++. It's faster.

Shaneus

At our pizza joint we had a guy who refused to answer to Jason, it was Jace or nothing. He has full on OG white boy gangsta though so that had a lot to do with it.
Was he dressed in a Satan costume, twirling his tail all the time? I think I may have some news for you...
I was more just soaking it in that he had something to do with one of my favourite games than anything else, I had been meaning to bail earlier to get on the pub crawl but kept losing track of time. Didn't expect to have consistent meaningful conversations, thought it would get weird after an hour or so. Not used to this internet dating hookup discussions between friends stuff as I really only frequented the Kotaku commenting section before GAF. I also don't have much experience in the Melbourne rave scene aside from the stories I heard from our mentor in first year of uni. LOTS OF DRUGS AND EAR DRUM DAMAGE. That reunion thing last night would have been totally up his alley if he wasn't living up in Sydney at the moment.
Ah, as long as you didn't feel left out. But it really is odd that he was there, given that I really only know him through another forum in pretty much the same circumstances, exception being I'd met him several times before AND we both love dance music, DJing etc. Glad I could provide such fascinating convos prior to that though, must be little bits of the ADD switchy-convo symptoms breaking through the meds ;) (trust me, you'd have been frustrated after an hour from changing topics so much!)
The thing that night though left a bit to be desired... music selection seemed to be inconsistent at best, and given my uncontrollable passion for 90s dance music, it was a bit of a letdown. Though I get the impression that it's not the last time they'd be having that night, so if it comes up again I'll let you know in case you wanted to pass the info onto your mentor duder :)
I keep seeing them and keep holding off. The last variant didn't impress me and Red Rock continue to release new variants every month or so to keep my attention.
Good idea. Simpler flavours always seem to work over complex ones. Vegemite? Fine. Big Red tomato sauce? Fine. Cheeseburger? Too much can go wrong.
On that note, though, I highly recommend the rosemary and roast onion Grainwave-ripoff from Safeway/Woolworths. So, so, SO good. Tastes a little bit like chicken stuffing with the rosemary. Unngghh.
God Tim and Eric are great job, for your fashion and health awesome pep pep show

If you are a fan check out the music videos Eric Wareheim has made, they are all on his Vimeo account. I hope one day they make a feature

edit; They have a movie coming out next year. COOL
I never knew what that gif was from, I just used it as "mind blown". I'd been meaning to check out Tim and Eric but almost always, when I'd seen just enough to get me into it I'd see something else that would be so peculiar as to push me away.
Yeah, Entourage is crack.

"Date Night" is amazing. Drama hooking up with a muscle girl.
A Day in the Valley is still BY FAR my favourite episode. Frequent scene changes, all characters showing the best of their characteristics without any of the annoying ones, everyone important makes an appearance and it's a good news ep with no "Oh yeah, but Vince something something...". If I had to hook someone into the show with a single episode, that would be it.
WTF. Checked out the trailer for Tucker & Dale Vs Evil on Shaneus' advice
This is the first I've heard of it! Perhaps there was some other auburn-haired adonis that discussed it with you.
Tim & Eric + Ben Folds + Regina Spektor = Joy. Also the universe and bodyboarding. My surfy mates loved the hell out of that one back at uni.
I love Ben Folds. I've never been a massive fan and don't think I've ever listened to an album of his all the way through (maybe a few times, but I could count them on one hand) I gained massive respect for him when I saw him live as a part of The Bens tour. Then he went on to produce Shatner's cover of Common People (and maybe the album that was on?). The cover of Such Great Heights seals the deal.

Plus, he's Australian.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...-mount-coottha-luge-crash-20111217-1ozlm.html

At those speeds, on regular turning streets, at that age, on a difficult-to-control sled, in the most passive position possible ? I'm calling it not freak.
I'm a terrible person, aren't I?
Wwhhhhiiiisssskkkkyyyyyyyyy....

Anyway, have I said how much I love overclocking my new PC? I'm nowhere near done yet, but first crack I had I managed to get 4.3GHz at 1.26v. At load, in a humid room on the warmest night ever, it was sitting on 62 degrees and silent as a mouse. So amazing. Can't wait to start pushing things like RAM, bus speed (only played with multipliers atm) etc.

Jintor

If it is, that's fantastic news. I'll send Cliper my redonw char sheet tonight after I finish making a proper start on this article.

Gazunta

All the MSYs I've dealt with have been extremely difficult to deal with for after-sales stuff. In fact, I never shop at them any more unless it's something I know I'm never going to return because the experience is usually bad.

If you can get an RMA direct from the manufacturer, get that first and then go in so they have no choice but to take it. MSY won't take stuff unless it is actually faulty, so many sure you know how to replicate whatever fault you have.
Oh, pants :( The fault is that Windows just doesn't acknowledge that it's plugged in. A bit of Googling has found that it's a common problem.

I'm just ticked coz I don't have time to return it (working down the Gold Coast instead of Brisbane now, I might as well be working in another country) but the wife does, and I don't want her to have a crap time returning this for me :/

Thanks very much for the heads up though.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm actually free this week and would love to play DnD with you guys.. I assume it'll be full though, so I might just mumble in and listen.. but if there is room to play I'd love to : )

Oh, pants :( The fault is that Windows just doesn't acknowledge that it's plugged in. A bit of Googling has found that it's a common problem.

I'm just ticked coz I don't have time to return it (working down the Gold Coast instead of Brisbane now, I might as well be working in another country) but the wife does, and I don't want her to have a crap time returning this for me :/

Thanks very much for the heads up though.

I have that with a samsung external. Usually unplugging it and plugging it back in.
Either that or use disk management. To see it if it had the same drive letters something else

Rahk

I have that with a samsung external. Usually unplugging it and plugging it back in.
Either that or use disk management. To see it if it had the same drive letters something else

Also, sometimes front USB ports don't give enough power, so try plugging it in a back one if you haven't already.

Hey chaps, does JB still have that two for $40 or whatever sale was on recently? I can't find anything on their site.

Edit: Hmm, looks like it is online but I wonder if they have it instore. I have a voucher and want to pick up Vanquish and Darksiders (both 360), neither of which are in stock online.

it was the opposite for me. the external had a power cord, the people said the data wasnt transferring.
Sounds like HDDs might not work over 3m as well as they'd be considered 'high speed' devices.

Oh, pants :(
Some MSYs are better than others, just the ones I've dealt with aren't very good. The one in Geelong (which doesn't help you at all) is reportedly very good.

The fault is that Windows just doesn't acknowledge that it's plugged in. A bit of Googling has found that it's a common problem.
Start -> Run -> 'diskmgmt.msc' (without the quotes) -> Enter

You could check to see if it is connected but was allocated a different drive letter, and you can change it in there as well.

Glad I could provide such fascinating convos prior to that though, must be little bits of the ADD switchy-convo symptoms breaking through the meds ;)

I highly recommend the rosemary and roast onion Grainwave-ripoff from Safeway/Woolworths.

This is the first I've heard of it! Perhaps there was some other auburn-haired adonis that discussed it with you.

I love Ben Folds.
To be honest I didn't notice the ADD at all, conversations moved off into tangents quite naturally. Might have come through more in the tone and terminology.

Had Grainwaves on an adventure in New Zealand with mates as they weren't out over here yet. Too much munting. Can't eat them anymore. :(

Shit, actually it was my Korean ex-housemate that was on the pub crawl who brought it up because we used to watch that Reaper show.

Ben Folds did indeed produce that entire Shatner album which was solid gold. Whatever And Ever Amen by the Ben Fold Five was a 5/5 album, so good. He also produced Amander Palmers fantastic Who Killed Amanada Palmer album. The Way To Fake album release was incredibly brilliant and I have always wanted more bands to do the same, I remember the release of Interpol's Love To Admire being confused with a Cut City album and the enjoyment of people saying, "Well this is actually pretty awesome anyway" made the whole event a lot of fun.

eva green has the most amazing
eyes
>_>
9EnSP.jpg

mUX7K.jpg

i4Ssn.jpg

Stare into the soul stuff

Some MSYs are better than others, just the ones I've dealt with aren't very good. The one in Geelong (which doesn't help you at all) is reportedly very good.
I can vouch for this (again sorry, as this won't help you Gaz).

I'm actually free this week and would love to play DnD with you guys.. I assume it'll be full though, so I might just mumble in and listen.. but if there is room to play I'd love to : )
Actually, if I'm free would it be cool if I sat in too? Seeing as I've never played before and I'm not sure if I'll be able to play regularly it might be a good chance to see how it goes.

Listening to the Penny Arcade D&D podcasts as I wait in a queue for SWTOR (1700 queue at 4pm fucking hell) and we really need to get our rate of play up; see if we can't get through more than two encounters a night.

guidop

For those that cared or listened Radio National has gotten rid of the best current affairs and political show in the country. No piece of media in this country offered anything in comparable quality to "In The National Interest" and now it is now more. Sad times for sure

Salazar

For those that cared or listened Radio National has gotten rid of the best current affairs and political show in the country. No piece of media in this country offered anything in comparable quality to "In The National Interest" and now it is now more. Sad times for sure

We are being pretty rapidly impoverished.

Refugee Action Coalition coordinator Ian Rintoul said Australia's decision to criminalise people smuggling had played a role in the tragedy.

"Australia's push for Indonesia to detain asylum seekers and to criminalise people smuggling directly leads to the kind of tragedy we've seen yet again," he said.

"If the government is worried about people losing their lives at sea, they should decriminalise people smuggling so that the voyages can be planned in open and seaworthy boats.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/ministe...oat-tragedy-20111218-1p0jf.html#ixzz1go2torJB

Wat.

Went to the super market for some OJ. Left with Milk, a pizza and rasin toast.

It was hailing and now Warrnambool is under flash floods! I would ravish the hell out of an OJ container right now :(

guidop

Went to the super market for some OJ. Left with Milk, a pizza and rasin toast.

It was hailing and now Warrnambool is under flash floods! I would ravish the hell out of an OJ container right now :(

Isn't that the thing with Warrnambool though. It regularly gets massive downpours? The 2 times I was there it rained really heavily

Listening to the Penny Arcade D&D podcasts as I wait in a queue for SWTOR (1700 queue at 4pm fucking hell) and we really need to get our rate of play up; see if we can't get through more than two encounters a night.

that could have something to do with going back every round and retconning everything and 2nd guessing everything.
needs to be said again. if you screw up to bad, remember for next time.

also ill try not to break the maptools this time.

on the topic of eva green. never really liked her. i think it might be the eyes....

Jintor

God, I hate writing an article knowing I'm almost definitely going to have to cut things.

I'm kind of iffy as to whether I like word limits or not. I think there's definitely a lot to be said for brevity; a lot of internet articles are just floundering word swamps that go on for far too long. But then again, having to gut from 2300 to 1500 words really hurts.

Salazar

I'm kind of iffy as to whether I like word limits or not. I think there's definitely a lot to be said for brevity; a lot of internet articles are just floundering word swamps that go on for far too long. But then again, having to gut from 2300 to 1500 words really hurts.

I just (aesthetically, intellectually, rhetorically) like big paragraphs. That tends to drive me towards writing too much.

If it's a game article, cut out any objective analysis of the game, its quality or if it is any fun and just put five self indulgent paragraphcs about your taste in games and how unfortunate it is that you have to write about a game you would never play if you weren't paid to write about it.

wait. don't do that.

Deeku

Spent most of today thinking about whether to buy a Vita. Then when I decided to take the plunge, amazon jp are out of memory cards;_;

Rahk

that could have something to do with going back every round and retconning everything and 2nd guessing everything.
needs to be said again. if you screw up to bad, remember for next time.
Pretty much.

I guess it's to be expected when everyone is still learning how to play. I predict every game will run more smoothly than the last though.

Kritz

Banned
lots of dots, but I am realising there's a lot of shit going wrong. Not all clients are loading up all dots, which is weird. I'm going to give it a break for a day or so, give my brain a rest. I'll keep the server up for a bit if people still want to draw.

I need to find a better method for sending data between clients besides just a raw, 20000 character length string.

Top Bottom