• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

also

i've never owned a tablet and i really want one ;___;

though given the amount of note-taking i'll have to do this semester i probably can't justify something without a keyboard :/

The other option is a small Bluetooth keyboard to pair with the Android tablet. Pro: small, light, portable, long battery life. Con: Small.

Jintor

Hmmm. I'll take it all into consideration.

Note looks a little too far above me right now though. Something that could pair with the Nexus might be okay?

Hmmm. I'll take it all into consideration.

Note looks a little too far above me right now though. Something that could pair with the Nexus might be okay?
The Apple Bluetooth one reportedly syncs with the Nexus 7, if you really want to piss off fans of both.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I have no issues with the crazy half naked torn up body. I guess I don't get what all the fuss is when you can go out and buy crazy horror memorabilia and have been able to for fucking ever.

If you loved the game that much then by all means, go mad and buy it.

I assume its leaked?

reptile and yourself beat me to it but yah, this time of year the academy sends out dvds (still dvds?) of the films nominated for Oscars so its members can vote for them. Means pretty much all of them end up on the internet with lots of films leaking much earlier than their DVD releases or in Django's case Australian cinema release date! I'm going to wait for Django though and see it at the movies.

edit: i bought a pair of these yesterday:
uhOXX.jpg
oh myy

hnnnggg

Damn you for posting these! Really want a pair in white (and black too lul).
Do you know if this is a very limited thing or will be available for a while? I really shouldn't be buying them now haha.

Yagharek

I have no issues with the crazy half naked torn up body. I guess I don't get what all the fuss is when you can go out and buy crazy horror memorabilia and have been able to for fucking ever.

Exactly. I'd be more offended by bad quality coding in the game than a statue that's par for the course in horror films.

Deeku

iPad because its uni and people judge you.
i agree, be cool like everyone else!

oh wait actually, i had a lecturer that would pick on people with macbooks because he figured that we would want attention what with our shiny illuminated apples and everything:/

Stackboy

As a Christian I would like to pipe up and ask that you don't judge an entire group of people by the acts of a few.

7 Wonders, Mundus Novus, Citadels, The Resistance, Summoner Wars, Android: Netrunner. The list goes on, including pretty much every card game in existence that isn't a variation of Munchkin.

Thanks for the list, will check them out.

I love that in the same week that the head of EA games meets with the VP of the US in the White House, to talk about how the video game industry can make a better image for itself, a special edition of a game includes a bloodied female torso. Glorious.

Yagharek

As a Christian I would like to pipe up and ask that you don't judge an entire group of people by the acts of a few.

And as a human being I would like to ask Christians to stop judging people based on their biology.

It's also pretty difficult not to paint in broad strokes when hundreds of thousands protest against gay marriage in france; when every second letter to editors of newspapers bemoaning the lack of morals in todays society posits Jesus as the solution, and when lobby groups like the ACL can bend a government to its whim.

Let's not also forget the fight against ethics classes in public schools in NSW, Qld and Victoria, instead forcing public schools to teach religion classes and anyone who opts out has to be babysat in the library with nothing to do (social inclusion yay).

If there are reasonable christians out there, and I'm sure there are, they need to speak up. The nutters are the ones who do damage and no-one seems to stop them.

its that time of the week
its hand check in time
got my stitches removed today
i think we counted 12, that was a lot more painful than i expected
im not looking forward to getting those 2 giant hooks removed, which im told is done with pliers and no drugs. that's meant to happen in about 4 more weeks which annoyed my hand therapist. i got my splint adjusted so now my hand isnt as twisted and a new dressing was put on after they took the stitches out which im happy about as the last one was half off.
pics
my splint last night before adjustment
its that big to stop my wrist from moving and re snapping the tendon as i cut clean through it

my hand today pre and post removal

markot

Banned
Well, at uni youll be online all the time, so i think chromebook would be pretty good.

YoU can get a keyboard attatchment for the nexus 7 for like 25 bucks... if ypi dont mInd a 7 inch keyboard!

I'm not judging an entire group of people, what I'm judging is a government that is giving a group of people legal rights to judge people by archaic and offensive reasons under the umbrella of religious doctrine.

It's illegal for anyone else to discriminate for these reasons... unless your a certain religious organisation? I have no problem with anyone that ascribes to any faith but that shouldn't give you legal recourse to be an utter judgmental cockspank to people based upon outdated and offensive beliefs towards how people should conduct themselves.

That's megabullshit with a side serve of go fuck yourself.

PS-That should be read using happy-but-frustrated-inside-voice. No shouties here. Nope, not even a little.

Well of course a Tasmanian city is "family friendly." They just take it to... weird and unsettling extremes.

jambo

Adelaide top 5, wooh!

EDIT: Also there has to be a joke in there about Tasmanian inbreeding and everyone being family or something.

Yagharek

I'm not judging an entire group of people, what I'm judging is a government that is giving a group of people legal rights to judge people by archaic and offensive reasons under the umbrella of religious doctrine.

It's illegal for anyone else to discriminate for these reasons... unless your a certain religious organisation? I have no problem with anyone that ascribes to any faith but that shouldn't give you legal recourse to be an utter judgmental cockspank to people based upon outdated and offensive beliefs towards how people should conduct themselves.

That's megabullshit with a side serve of go fuck yourself.

PS-That should be read using happy-but-frustrated-inside-voice. No shouties here. Nope, not even a little.

This too, I like how you put it.

reptile and yourself beat me to it but yah, this time of year the academy sends out dvds (still dvds?) of the films nominated for Oscars so its members can vote for them. Means pretty much all of them end up on the internet with lots of films leaking much earlier than their DVD releases or in Django's case Australian cinema release date! I'm going to wait for Django though and see it at the movies.

Ah Oscar season that explains it. Still who watches DVDs still. I'm really keen to see django, though watching a DVD rip doesn't seem all that appealing, will wait for the cinema release.

DVD rips are good quality Bodyboarder, very well done this year. I expect they distribute DVD copies due to it being quicker/cheaper/easier than Blu Rays which would need a lot more work, especially since most of them are nowhere near putting onto HD disc.

Yeah I see no issue.

What's the issue here guys?

Exactly. I'd be more offended by bad quality coding in the game than a statue that's par for the course in horror films.
Techland game so you can complain about that too!

Well well..

an-city-300x0.jpg

No more hating on Tazzie now.

Alternate Title: Boring Ass Cities or Perfect Places To Retire To

Darwin is an interesting inclusion, I really should read up more on that place, all I have really heard is horror stories from people who have worked up there.

jambo

Alternate Title: Boring Ass Cities or Perfect Places To Retire To

Darwin is an interesting inclusion, I really should read up more on that place, all I have really heard is horror stories from people who have worked up there.

Keep telling yourself that, non top 10 city dweller.

hnnnggg

Damn you for posting these! Really want a pair in white (and black too lul).
Do you know if this is a very limited thing or will be available for a while? I really shouldn't be buying them now haha.

From what I can tell they're available for a while. :) Seems Fancy is a social storefront that allows you to buy from vendors without giving the vendors themselves much publicity. :p

DVD rips are good quality Bodyboarder, very well done this year. I expect they distribute DVD copies due to it being quicker/cheaper/easier than Blu Rays which would need a lot more work, especially since most of them are nowhere near putting onto HD disc.

Hmmm. Still, I'll try and stay strong.

legend166

Religious groups should have the freedom to hire whoever they want when that position can be considered pastoral. Otherwise how far does it go? Will my church be shut down because of clear discrimination based on the fact that we wouldn't employ a Muslim as our minister? For stuff like admin staff, support positions, etc, it changes.

I completely understand the 'well if they want public money, they should have to obey public rules' thing. But the discrimination laws have nothing to do with whether a company receives public funding, so legally I'm not sure how it applies.

Yagharek

Religious groups should have the freedom to hire whoever they want when that position can be considered pastoral. Otherwise how far does it go? Will my church be shut down because of clear discrimination based on the fact that we wouldn't employ a Muslim as our minister? For stuff like admin staff, support positions, etc, it changes.

Is that a slippery slope argument I see there? By golly it might be.

I know of catholic school principals who have been booted out of the school and the order (christian brothers) because they were attracted to men. Not because they were in a relationship or anything like they (they were still celibate), simply because they were biologically who they were.

That reeks of callousness to me. Never mind this whole outlook that christians supposedly have of looking after the outcasts in society like lepers and prostitutes as Jesus was said to have done. Not today. If you're gay, or different in any way from what they see as normal, they don't seem to want to know you.

Danoss

I completely understand the 'well if they want public money, they should have to obey public rules' thing. But the discrimination laws have nothing to do with whether a company receives public funding, so legally I'm not sure how it applies.

Would a Muslim be qualified for a position as a minister? Unlikely. The problem is when a person is clearly qualified for a position, but is dismissed due to something that has no business being taken into consideration for the role.

Refuse to hire a perfectly qualified person based on the fact they're Asian, for example. You best believe people are going to have a problem with that, and rightly so.

Yagharek

Would a Muslim be qualified for a position as a minister? Unlikely. The problem is when a person is clearly qualified for a position, but is dismissed due to something that has no business being taken into consideration for the role.

Refuse to hire a perfectly qualified person based on the fact they're Asian, for example. You best believe people are going to have a problem with that, and rightly so.

Ding ding ding.

Dead Man

But they should. That is all most people are saying. I have no problem with churches not hiring whoever they want or don't. I do have a problem when they have tax free status and get to do that.

Also, this. Excellent post.

legend166

Would a non-religious person be qualified to be a teacher in a religious school? If a school is presented to parents as a place to send their children to receive religious instruction as well as a secular education, is it not reasonable for parents to have the expectation that the teachers at the school hold the values that they are expecting them to teach to their children?

Yagharek

What I want to know is why do so many of these discriminatory criteria happen to be over things that are perfectly natural? Being homosexual isn't a sin, and the assertion it is is simply morally repugnant.

If I were an employer I couldn't refuse to employ a Christian who held that gays were sinners, even if my business was one with a focus on serving a customer base who are. But flip the tables around and the discrimination becomes acceptable because religion is afforded special protection where none is deserved.

Would a non-religious person be qualified to be a teacher in a religious school? If a school is presented to parents as a place to send their children to receive religious instruction as well as a secular education, is it not reasonable for parents to have the expectation that the teachers at the school hold the values that they are expecting them to teach to their children?

Of course they would be, so long as they weren't teaching religious education classes. Religion has absolutely nothing to do with mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, physical education. Further, its relation to topics such as history, english grammar, art, social sciences and literature is purely contextual.

If I were a parent sending my kids to a religious school, I would want them to be learning from a good maths teacher - their religion doesn't come into the equation so far as their ability to teach mathematics well goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom