• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Children of Men is pretty close to the top of my SF films of the last decade also.

It's easily one of the most grounded and believable sci-fi films I've seen, and deals with what I consider to be really important themes for the modern world. Cuarón and Lubezki's long shots, especially the car assault scene, are unforgettable.

I'm hoping lightning strikes twice for Gravity this year.

Did you enjoy the scene with his fingernails and teeth?

NOPE. NOPE.

I dunno though. I thought the premise of the movie was pretty cool, but poorly executed. I didn't think the documentary style worked well, and the main character was totally unlikable (which I suppose doesn't make a bad film in itself but in this case it certainly didn't endear me to the film).

Not being sexist and this could be purely anecdotal bollocks, but pretty much all of the women I've talked to about District 9 hate that scene.

I'm pretty sure that is just most sane people in general. Or boys are just less icky about those sorts of things. When I was younger that kind of thing never bothered me. I wonder what happened.

jambo

I'm pretty sure that is just most sane people in general. Or boys are just less icky about those sorts of things. When I was younger that kind of thing never bothered me. I wonder what happened.

It was a bit weird for me. I was ok with it, but I find stuff in medical shows, real and faked, to be a bit too much for me sometimes.

Also, did you just change your avatar or am I going crazy?

jambo

I never "got" Weezer.

But then I only seem to like British alt rock.

Actually come to think of it, most of the bands that I like are British...

Except for the doof doof

N0VAM0D

I never "got" Weezer.

Except for the doof doof

Fair enough, everyone has different tastes! I only really ever enjoyed Weezer's first two albums, and a couple of other songs like "Hash Pipe" and "Island In The Sun". Their other work really doesn't appeal to me. Though, when they played some of their more recent pieces live, it was good fun anyway, singing along to that catchy crap like "Pork And Beans" and "Beverly Hills".

Oh, I managed to get one of Rivers' guitar picks! I almost had the setlist, but this guy punched me in the side for it. Certainly not as bad as this one chick who scratched my arms and ripped the setlist which I already had in my hands from Tame Impala. That was not cool.

Shaneus

It's coming out next week right?
Ish. I think it's dated at the end of the month? But it might be a little earlier maybs.
I never "got" Weezer.

Except for the doof doof
Did you ever listen to Pinkerton? You need to listen to Pinkerton.

Kotaku keep discovering new ways to be bad. I guess next up they'll hire that writer who did the DMC small dicks article.
image.php
image.php

So it appears sportsmanship is dead. I was wrong.
Add fucking Dead Man to the ever increasing list of shitty, inconsiderate Holyers. Here is the thread to which Dead Man is referring. Can't even link to his own bloody threads.

Prick.

Edit: Fine, I was beaten. Twice. BUT THE FACT IS THE SITUATION SHOULDN'T HAVE OCCURRED IN THE FIRST PLACE!!.

Prick.

I'm thinking of starting a thread entitled "Linking to subjects to which you are referring is dead. You're all a bunch of fucking HolyChecks."

:)

I need to rustle up an explanation of why I need to buy a new graphic card for Downsampling.

Maybe I could get a letter from an optometrist about the damage to my eyes from blurry textures.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I need to rustle up an explanation of why I need to buy a new graphic card for Downsampling.

Maybe I could get a letter from an optometrist about the damage to my eyes from blurry textures.

I dunno. I tried to do downsampling before in Dota 2. I barely saw any difference, Of course you probably have to go even further up in the resolution size to see any real difference. I only went one above to 25XXx1XXX - I can't remember what it was, from 1920x1200.

I would say GPU upgrades shouldn't happen until mid year. You're then going to be 1-1.5 generation above next gen, so you will get some sweet as fuck ports.

Dead Man

I just read the wiki page for downsampling to try to figure out what you guys are talking about. Nope. I think I know less than before I looked at it.

I read through the Orbis rumour thread just now and I am struggling to care. I see people getting all excited and stuff, but I just don't care. Not even a little.

The games I play so rarely come from the AAA side of things, the actual silicon has become a commoditised means to an end to me.

Also, I purchased Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and have been playing it over and over again while at work seeing as how I'd never heard the full album before. While "Money" seems a bit out of place on there, the rest of the album taken as a whole is amazing.

Jintor

People don't buy hardware for hardware, they buy it for the experiences they can have with the hardware. Well, generally speaking.

Also, I purchased Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and have been playing it over and over again while at work seeing as how I'd never heard the full album before. While "Money" seems a bit out of place on there, the rest of the album taken as a whole is amazing.
While Money may stand out musically from the rest of the album it's thematically important to the overall story that is presented.

If I were to allow myself to get artsy for a bit, I would posit that this was intentional. The glammy nature of the song, representing the false period of happiness that the sudden influx of money caused.

This also helps create the contrast to the other parts of the album that show the depths that their lives sunk as a result of the fame and money.

Rlan

More weird old game mag stuff. Remember things like this?

(And some more NSFW ones here)

t’s fascinating to see what magazines would post.

This is all from Sega Megazone, Australia’s Sega magazine from the early 1990’s, in the midst of young gamers having their balls drop from looking at Cammy, Chun-Li, Sonya and Kitana.

But it’s really fascinating that these (presumably) 13-16 year olds would send in nudie drawings to magazines like this for the chance to get printed in the “Mega Mouth” section. Sega’s mag wasn’t the only one either — the aussie Nintendo Magazine System did it a lot too.

Sega Megazone encouraged it too! For some time every issue had “stupid” questions, in which would be answered by a saucy image of Drew Barrymore, and they’d always have Pamela Anderson in the issue somewhere too.

People don't buy hardware for hardware, they buy it for the experiences they can have with the hardware. Well, generally speaking.
Not on GAF, apparently, judging by the posts in the Orbis thread. Half of them don't actually understand why the numbers mean, yet they join in the circle jerk anyway.

Photorealistic graphics just don't excite me now that cell-shaded cartoon styles are possible in real time. New hardware maybe allows better online interactions, but again, that's marginal to the way I play.

While Money may stand out musically from the rest of the album it's thematically important to the overall story that is presented.

If I were to allow myself to get artsy for a bit, I would posit that this was intentional. The glammy nature of the song, representing the false period of happiness that the sudden influx of money caused.

This also helps create the contrast to the other parts of the album that show the depths that their lives sunk as a result of the fame and money.
Oh OK. I didn't know how it all fits together. Is there any truth to the Wizard of Oz connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom