• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 8 - Worksafe Wankers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pach Attack? More like Not Qualified To Talk About Video Games As That Isn't Where His Experience Lies Attack.

Also games will only become more expensive if piracy and the second hand market can be decreased by like, 90% or so.
At this point games will stay the same price (or become cheaper if the market revenue really drops but I can't see it happening, example is XBL Gold) and the increase in profits they are looking for (or loss if prices drop) will be made up on service costs, with stuff like Season Passes and Elite.

SwissLion

His analysis is always really strong when he's been on the Bombcast, talking about a lot of stuff that normal journalists don't really dig into.

But yeah turning those analyses into predictions, not so much.

Moon and Source Code are really great.

I love Zowie Bowie.

Rian Johnson has a really good track record as well. Anybody who loved Looper really needs to go watch Brick right now if you haven't already. And if you have! I'm probably going to rewatch it tonight...

Edit: and Shan, we are going to have words about District 9 :mad:

Yagharek

Pachter is the kotaku of Chevy chase posts by markot

Also, no one else has seen The Man From Earth? It does have a very week ending but along the way it's a fascinating film.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I couldn't actually get through moon. I thought it was one of the most boring films ever and yet I love 2001. Although I think enjoying 2001 is because of the music, it's done so well that it just ads to every scene it's in. I ended up just flicking through moon to see what happens and went, oh ok then.

It's something I do need to actually try and watch since everyone gives it so much praise. I just put it down to my mood on that particular day that made me not give a fuck.

As for more expensive video games? Maybe. I imagine they might jump up to $70 for a "AAA" title but not more. I do think the opposite could be true though, with the amount of sales that go on these days, Games might drop down to $50 just to try and push out more sales in the short term, since that's when console games tend to sell anyway.

I think there might also be less pressure to advertise your game when both consoles will be mostly about being online. This should let publishers and developers pimp their upcoming games direct to the customers. Trailers, demos, hands on etc would be more prominent instead of being hidden away in some random ass website.

Too many substitutes means I can't see RRP going up being accepted. Easier to charge an extra $10 for an MP unlock code once you sucker people into buying the game at regular price.

PC and handheld games are still in the nice price range for me in any case.

Jintor

on that note, instead of classifying games by downloadable or whatever, i was wondering about classifying them by initial RRP instead. Match games based on what publishers think we should pay for them

My prediction: Maybe higher RRP across the board next gen. Big push from publishers to preorder digitally via discount incentives. The death of traditional stupid bigass Steam sales (This Christmas sale that we just had was a taste).

In order to get games cheap you'll need to pony up the cash pre-release or pay RRP or close to RRP after release.

People can sit around and talk about how "in the good old days, I once bought Far Cry 3 for $30 on release" or "back in the day, I bought all of Rockstar's games for $15. That's total, not each." and be greeted by the "oooooooohhhhh"s and "aaaaaaahhhhhhh"s of the gathered crowd.

newdadgaf maybe you can help me out
who decides what kids call their grandparents
I may be a traditionalist, but whenever I have a tough question that needs to be answered I get out my trusty ouija board and let the spirits decide.

SwissLion

I couldn't actually get through moon. I thought it was one of the most boring films ever and yet I love 2001. Although I think enjoying 2001 is because of the music, it's done so well that it just ads to every scene it's in. I ended up just flicking through moon to see what happens and went, oh ok then.

It's something I do need to actually try and watch since everyone gives it so much praise. I just put it down to my mood on that particular day that made me not give a fuck.

I'm guessing you didn't get to the twist which isn't really a twist? Things get crazy and stressful and funny and fascinating after that point pretty quickly. Definitely give it another go!

And the thing about the music is crazy to me, this track still gives me shivers when I hear it.

PC and handheld games are still in the nice price range for me in any case.
$69 for a handheld game is not reasonable in any sense of the word. Between that and region locking, Nintendo is trying really hard to dissuade me from buying a 3DS.
I did just drop $200 tracking down a special edition copy of ni no kuni though. I want that book damn it!

I did think it was funny that new games retailing at $60+ was shocking news. Pfft.
Edit: and Shan, we are going to have words about District 9 :mad:
it's not my fault it was a bad movie. Take it up with the director.
newdadgaf maybe you can help me out
who decides what kids call their grandparents
My grandparents chose, I think.

$69 for a handheld game is not reasonable in any sense of the word. Between that and region locking, Nintendo is trying really hard to dissuade me from buying a 3DS.
I did just drop $200 tracking down a special edition copy of ni no kuni though. I want that book damn it!

$68 RRP is lower than $98 RRP for console games. Also that $68 is usually only for Nintendo titles, with stuff like Sonic Transformed launching at $48. Even the awesome Scribblenauts pack was only $58, most 3rd party stuff is $58 launch price.

Yagharek

$68 RRP is lower than $98 RRP for console games. Also that $68 is usually only for Nintendo titles, with stuff like Sonic Transformed launching at $48. Even the awesome Scribblenauts pack was only $58, most 3rd party stuff is $58 launch price.

A lot of handheld games have more content than console games these days.

Danoss

playing call of cthulhu for the first time, as myself! It is pretttty great.

The game I run will appear really bad, now there's something to compare it with.

Sigh.

What's the scenario you're playing out of interest (and so there's no chance I pick the same one)? I'm sure the investigation is a nice change of pace from the usual "I hit it with my axe. Oh, it's dead? I loot its corpse".

Kritz

Banned
I don't think Elysium is a sequel as much as it is another sci fi flick in the same vein. At least that's the impression I got.

I don't know if Neil Bloomkamp has different veins. District 9 looked like the Halo short film looked like the roll he made that MS showed off when they put him on to make the Halo movie.

District 9 wasn't that good. Started off well, but when it became a video game movie I stopped caring. The popcorn scene was great, though.

2/5 movie points - passive entertainment reviews .com

From what I remember, I enjoyed the beginning of District9. I think my issue with the film is that it needed a consistent narrative style. Either it needed to commit to the documentary or straight movie style; switching to a traditional movie after the documentary-heavy perspective from the first half was jarring.

I really did enjoy the first half, though.

Starc averages over 50 in one dayers after 14 matches lol

District 9 wasn't that good. Started off well, but when it became a video game movie I stopped caring. The popcorn scene was great, though.

2/5 movie points - passive entertainment reviews .com

The fuck? Couldn't find that website anywhere, was interested in seeing the usually overjoyed Kritz break out of the 5/5 review enjoyment :/

The game I run will appear really bad, now there's something to compare it with.

Sigh.

What's the scenario you're playing out of interest (and so there's no chance I pick the same one)? I'm sure the investigation is a nice change of pace from the usual "I hit it with my axe. Oh, it's dead? I loot its corpse".
We diiiiid the haunting and the edge of darkness? The creepy 20's setting was cool, and losing sanity is always hilarious. And not having to worry about loot was kind of relieving tbh. I mean, it's nice to get but we always take forever organizing it all. I am super excited if you plan on running an ausgaf game! Let me know when you figure out details!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom