• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

jambo

evlcookie said:
People love those similar experiences with small additions since it doesn't break their love for the franchise. If zelda turned into a hardcore FPS then i would imagine some would rejoice and go, Holy shit this could be interesting while those who have loved each zelda game would be fucking shattered.

Is that you Bennett?

Deeku

Fredescu said:
There's been four in five years. If you cheat and add Crossbow Training and OoT 3D, it's six in five years.
In my mind, the last Zelda game was Twilight Princess.

The others don't exist even though I played them all. Well, bar Crossbow Training.

I don't consider myself a fanboy, but I probably wouldn't be able to accept a "re-invented" Zelda.

Clipper

roosters93 said:
Hey guys, how long do you think it will take COTD to post the stuff from today's sales? Will it be quicker if I get one of the less popular ones?

I want a boyfriend pillow.

joke present for birthday on friday
It typically takes a week or two before they even ship. You would not get it by Friday.

Yagharek

Remember about 6 weeks ago when bookies were in the news for paying out on chris judd winning the brownlow medal as they considered it a fait accompli?

Suck shit.

Omikron

These people getting worked up over Kooka's really need to spend a few mins making a batch of home made biscuits.

Overrated much?

Gazunta said:
If you're having a bad day, just sit back and think to yourself, "Thank fuck The Comedy Company isn't on any more". It works wonders!
I'm having a I'm-seriously-this-close-to-quitting day and my hopes were raised by the beginning of the statement. My day (week? month?) has been that shitty that not even that though has brought me a reprieve from my mood. Got anything else?

re: comics
I was pretty heavily into comic for most of my life (about 20years of collecting) until about 4 or 5 years ago. These days I'm only following long term series that I started back in the day, like Fables, and some specific creators that I enjoy. Up until about 2 years ago I was still keeping up with comic news and happenings but suddenly stopped when my interests were rekindled with vidyagames.

I now, for the first time in my life have been able to experience the sheer impenetrable nature that the comics industry offers to the outsider. When I heard about the newest DC Universe reboot I decided to visit a few of my old new sites that I frequented.

After about 10 minutes I decided to give up. Whether it's the level of reporting that most new sites offer - which shares many similar traits with the video games industry i.e. reposting press releases from publishers - or the very insular, self-serving pandering to it's core audience, I just felt completely overwhelmed and lost.

And it wasn't just the DC News that did it. The constant flux of each companies universes (universes, dammit) means that you either need to gorge yourself on information (as little as the last few months or years) or just jump in and flail until you get your head above water.

Don't dwell too much about the previous mixed-metaphor. I thought about changing it but the day I've had I really can't be arsed.

I've settled on that I can't be bothered trying to break through that initial sensory/information overload and will just sink further from the industry. I'm certain that most people trying to enter the medium do the same thing.

Comics need to move away from decades-old continuity and characters and become an industry that feeds off of a constant supply of new characters and ideas. There are people trying to do this but they neither get the support of the field or the audience.

I'm fairly certain that if movies/books were just another chapter of a story that had started over 50 years ago, with most of the previous films not available nor being financial feasible to buy them, those industries would be in a similar financial situation as the comic industry.

Shaneus said:
Pfft. Comics are for babies.
While a lot of comics are seemly written for people with the intellectual maturity of babies, I can assure you that they would be unable to keep up with the multiple continuities, versions and universes. They would also not be able to afford them, either. they are expensive.

reptilescorpio said:
lol. Thanks for the smile on a bad day Gaz.
Wanna trade sob stories :) ... :(

Shaneus said:
PS. ODST bort. Sadly, not sealed but hopefully not 7-day rented. Still, for $28 hopefully it provides an FPS-like experience that errs on the side of story rather than just blasting shit.
Arkham City here I come!!! :)

Gazunta said:
Thanks to the folks here who have helped me get to 50 people on my work FB page...almost there!
Tell me where to click, old bean.

3chopl0x said:
Do people actually want Zelda to 'graduate'/change though?
Yes they do. BUT FUCK THEM IF THEY CHANGE TOO MUCH!!! I want an evolution where I feel completely at home.

...hang on...

FallbackPants said:
Really? I mean surely they have to keep things changing. If you kept the same gameplay (and admittedly Zelda's is top freaking notch) but you're never going to attract new customers. You're just preaching to the already converted Zelda choir.
This also applies to the comics industry, too.

*sigh* back to work.

Omi said:
These people getting worked up over Kooka's really need to spend a few mins making a batch of home made biscuits.

Overrated much?

Those cookies look ok.

But...

I have found since I started cooking and baking more at home, I have lost all interest in store bought sweets, cookies and candies. Mrs Fields can go get fucked.

Biscuits* and cookies tend to be the easiest and quickest things to make. Butter, sugar, flour, and some vanilla essence plus whatever else you like- chocolate chips, coconut, etc.

Don't need any gear except and oven, a bowl to mix things, wooden spoon and maybe some kitchen scales. Measuring cups and spoons optional but helpful

An extra plus- as long as you have the ingredients (which keep for months), you can make as much as you like. Plus you get to lick the bowl. Never underestimate the licking of the bowl.

Also- when you add stuff like choc bits and frosting, go easy. The temptation is to be heavy handed. It just makes you sick faster.

There's generally less sugar and fat in the stuff you make yourself.

Good place for recipes- taste.com.au or exclusivelyfood.com.au

*except anzac cookies- I always fuck them up. don't know why

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
jambo said:
You were talking about making a Zelda game in to an FPS =P
I said it would cause outrage amongst fans if it ever became one. Didn't say it should happen!

The trains are totally Bennett today

elfinke

SWS is the only reason I ever go to Subway. If they stopped selling it, that would be the death of Subway to me (not that I eat there that regularly anyway).

When I was bach-ing it up some years ago, I used to buy bottles of SWS direct from the owner of the local Subway (who was a good mate) for my own use. sogood.gif

Ydahs

What a pain. After spending most of the past 24 hours trying to get my DisplayPort to HDMI adapter outputting sound, I realised I can just use my extra long 3.5mm audio cable. It's a bit messy with two cables from my laptop to TV but I'm not going to waste any more time fiddling with drivers and whatnot...

Jintor

I sure hope I get paid this week, but I have a sneaking suspicion I won't until next week.

The pay time-lapse involved in freelancing is a real bitchbennett!

comics are usually so long running I don't like to get emotionally invested in them. I used to read a fair bit of manga, and there's really only one series I still read, which is still going because the author got sick and went on hiatus a few years ago. So I'm still waiting to see whether she intends to finish it at all. Not having an ending is so unsatisfying :(

Also from what I've been hearing about batman and spiderman, comics are really messed up. I'm not sure if the writers even care anymore or are just milking it.

Shaneus

Omi said:

Overrated much?
Kooka's I can eat whenever I want. Home-made means I have to buy ingredients, mix them, put them in the oven for a time greater than the time it takes to open a packet of Kooka's, wait to cool, then eat.

I shall happily forgo any possible (yet unlikely, given it's me that's cooking) flavour benefits of homemade if it means I can have my food immediately.

Jintor

shanshan310 said:
comics are usually so long running I don't like to get emotionally invested in them. I used to read a fair bit of manga, and there's really only one series I still read, which is still going because the author got sick and went on hiatus a few years ago. So I'm still waiting to see whether she intends to finish it at all. Not having an ending is so unsatisfying :(

Also from what I've been hearing about batman and spiderman, comics are really messed up. I'm not sure if the writers even care anymore or are just milking it.

Some of the best stuff is single-shot or individual series that are out of continuity. Superman: Secret Identity (a 4-issue elseworlds) is one of the greatest comics I've ever read. Watchmen, obviously, is superb. I also liked Kingdom Come, that was fantastic. Basically stuff that someone knows is going to end one day and has actually plotted the thing out in advance.

Top Bottom