• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

elfinke

reptilescorpio said:
Other outback schools have other incentives, like showing movies or tv shows during school hours if the kids turn up or access to computers and such. Which is a much better idea than money.

Yeah for sure - sport was the huge lure for us, with guaranteed hours of Rugby League or Netball (for the girls OMG DISCRIMINATION) on school property as positive reinforcement.

Unfortunately, our school didn't have those facilities you mention (ample and able PCs) until much later on (year 9 or 10 I guess is when we got a new computer lab upgrade with government money) I was in the last year of 'white kids' that went to the school, so saw a few changes over the years. The school doesn't exist anymore, it's a 'community college' :(

Congrats eatchildren! A massive weight off the shoulders eh?

I've done some more googling around of that Warco game and I really hope they find some monies to get onto Steam or something, I want to have a go at it.

Omikron

So, like, the ruling and stuff, so you guys don't have to speculate.

Eatock v Bolt [2011] FCA 1103 (28 September 2011)
Last Updated: 28 September 2011

FEDERAL COURT OF AUSTRALIA

Eatock v Bolt [2011] FCA 1103

SUMMARY

BROMBERG J
28 SEPTEMBER 2011
MELBOURNE

SUMMARY

In accordance with the practice of the Federal Court in some cases of public interest, importance or complexity, the following summary has been prepared to accompany the publication of the Court’s reasons for judgment. This summary is intended to assist in understanding the outcome of this proceeding and is not a complete statement of the conclusions reached by the Court. The only authoritative statement of the Court's reasons is that contained in the published reasons for judgment which will be available on the internet at http://www.fedcourt.gov.au/ together with this summary.

Ms Eatock has brought this proceeding on her own behalf and on behalf of people like her who have a fairer, rather than darker skin, and who by a combination of descent, self-identification and communal recognition are, and are recognised as, Aboriginal persons. I will refer to this group of people as “fair-skinned Aboriginal people”.
Ms Eatock complains about two newspaper articles written by Mr Andrew Bolt and published by the Second Respondent (“the Herald & Weekly Times”) in the Herald Sun newspaper and on that paper’s online site. She also complains about two blog articles written by Mr Bolt and published by the Herald &Weekly Times on the Herald Sun website.
Broadly speaking, the nature of her complaint is that the articles conveyed offensive messages about fair-skinned Aboriginal people, by saying that they were not genuinely Aboriginal and were pretending to be Aboriginal so they could access benefits that are available to Aboriginal people. Ms Eatock wants the law to address this conduct. She wants declarations and injunctions and an apology from the Herald & Weekly Times. She calls in aid Part IIA of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth) (“the Racial Discrimination Act”) which includes sections 18C and 18D. She claims that by their conduct, Mr Bolt and the Herald & Weekly Times have contravened section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.
In order to succeed in her claim, Ms Eatock needed to establish that:
It was reasonably likely that fair-skinned Aboriginal people (or some of them) were offended, insulted, humiliated or intimidated by the conduct; and
That the conduct was done by Mr Bolt and the Herald &Weekly Times, including because of the race, colour or ethnic origin of fair-skinned Aboriginal people.
Mr Bolt and the Herald &Weekly Times dispute that the messages that Ms Eatock claims were conveyed by the articles, were in fact conveyed. They deny that any offence was reasonably likely to be caused and also that race, colour or ethnic origin had anything to do with Mr Bolt writing the articles or the Herald & Weekly Times publishing them. They also say that - if Ms Eatock should establish those elements which she needs to satisfy the Court about - their conduct should not be rendered unlawful, because it should be exempted or excused. For that purpose, they rely on section 18D of the Racial Discrimination Act.
Section 18D exempts from being unlawful, conduct which has been done reasonably and in good faith for particular specified purposes, including the making of a fair comment in a newspaper. It is a provision which, broadly speaking, seeks to balance the objectives of section 18C with the need to protect justifiable freedom of expression.
All of that raises interesting, difficult and important questions which needed to be resolved in order for Ms Eatock’s claim to be determined.
The newspaper articles the subject of Ms Eatock’s claim, describe what in this case has been referred to as a ‘trend’. The ‘trend’ and the people who constitute it are the subject of criticism by Mr Bolt. Each article refers to a number of named individuals who are said to have chosen to identify as Aboriginal, as examples of the people in the wider ‘trend’.
Collectively, eighteen individuals are named in the articles. Nine of those individuals gave evidence in this case. Each of them genuinely identifies as an Aboriginal person and has done so since their childhood. Each was raised to identify as an Aboriginal person and was enculturated as an Aboriginal person. None of them ‘chose’ to be Aboriginal. Nor have they used their Aboriginal identity inappropriately to advance their careers. Each is entitled to regard themselves and be regarded by others as an Aboriginal person within the conventional understanding of that description.
Part IIA was inserted into the Racial Discrimination Act in 1995. A number of issues were raised in the case about what the provisions of Part IIA mean and how those provisions should be applied.
Mr Bolt and the Herald & Weekly Times relied upon the heading of Part IIA to contend that the operation of Part IIA is restricted to racist behaviour based upon racial hatred. I disagree. The legislative history of Part IIA and the words utilised in Part IIA show that contention to be incorrect. No decision of this Court has interpreted Part IIA to be limited to the incitement of racial hatred.
Part IIA has a broader field of operation. Infused by the values of human dignity and equality, the objectives of Part IIA extend to promoting racial tolerance and protecting against the dissemination of racial prejudice.
Part IIA is also concerned to protect the fundamental right of freedom of expression. Freedom of expression is an essential component of a tolerant and pluralistic democracy. Section 18D of the Racial Discrimination Act exempts from being unlawful, offensive conduct based on race, where that conduct meets the requirements of section 18D and may therefore be regarded as a justifiable exercise of freedom of expression. In that way, Part IIA seeks to find a balance between freedom of expression and freedom from racial prejudice and intolerance based on race.
Whether conduct is reasonably likely to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate a group of people calls for an objective assessment of the likely reaction of those people. I have concluded that the assessment is to be made by reference to an ordinary and reasonable member of the group of people concerned and the values and circumstances of those people. General community standards are relevant but only to an extent. Tolerance of the views of others may be expected in a multicultural society, including from those persons who are the subject of racially based conduct.
I have concluded that from the perspective of fair-skinned Aboriginal people, the messages (or what lawyers call “the imputations”) conveyed by the newspaper articles which Mr Bolt wrote, included that:
There are fair-skinned people in Australia with essentially European ancestry but with some Aboriginal descent, of which the individuals identified in the articles are examples, who are not genuinely Aboriginal persons but who, motivated by career opportunities available to Aboriginal people or by political activism, have chosen to falsely identify as Aboriginal; and
Fair skin colour indicates a person who is not sufficiently Aboriginal to be genuinely identifying as an Aboriginal person.
I am satisfied that fair-skinned Aboriginal people (or some of them) were reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to have been offended, insulted, humiliated or intimidated by the imputations conveyed by the newspaper articles.
A causal nexus is required to be demonstrated between the act reasonably likely to offend and the racial or other characteristics or attributes of the persons reasonably likely to have been offended. A test for that causal nexus has been expressed in different ways including whether the act was “plainly calculated to convey a message about” the racial group?
I have concluded that, for the purpose of section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, Aboriginal people are a race and have common ethnic origin.
The imputations which I have found were conveyed by the newspaper articles were plainly calculated to convey a message about the race, ethnicity or colour of fair-skinned Aboriginal people, including whether those people are sufficiently of Aboriginal race, colour or ethnicity to be identifying as Aboriginal. I am satisfied that Mr Bolt both understood and intended that imputations of that kind were conveyed by the newspaper articles he wrote. I have therefore found that in writing those parts of the newspaper articles which conveyed the imputations, Mr Bolt did so including because of the race, ethnic origin or colour of fair-skinned Aboriginal people.
I am also satisfied that the causal nexus has been established in relation to the publication of the newspaper articles by the Herald & Weekly Times.
In reaching those conclusions, I have observed that in seeking to promote tolerance and protect against intolerance in a multicultural society, the Racial Discrimination Act must be taken to include in its objectives tolerance for and acceptance of racial and ethnic diversity. At the core of multiculturalism is the idea that people may identify with and express their racial or ethnic heritage free from pressure not to do so. People should be free to fully identify with their race without fear of public disdain or loss of esteem for so identifying. Disparagement directed at the legitimacy of the racial identification of a group of people is likely to be destructive of racial tolerance, just as disparagement directed at the real or imagined practices or traits of those people is also destructive of racial tolerance.
I have not been satisfied that the offensive conduct that I have found occurred, is exempted from unlawfulness by section 18D. The reasons for that conclusion have to do with the manner in which the articles were written, including that they contained errors of fact, distortions of the truth and inflammatory and provocative language.
In coming to that view, I have taken into account the possible degree of harm that I regard the conduct involved may have caused. Beyond the hurt and insult involved, I have also found that the conduct was reasonably likely to have an intimidatory effect on some fair-skinned Aboriginal people and in particular young Aboriginal persons or others with vulnerability in relation to their identity.
I have taken into account that the articles may have been read by some people susceptible to racial stereotyping and the formation of racially prejudicial views and that, as a result, racially prejudiced views have been reinforced, encouraged or emboldened. In the balancing process, I have also taken into account the silencing consequences upon freedom of expression involved in the Court making a finding of contravention.
I have concluded that the conduct of Mr Bolt and the Herald & Weekly Times is not exempted by section 18D of the Racial Discrimination Act from being unlawful because:
(i) it was not done reasonably and in good faith in the making or publishing of a fair comment, within the requirements of section 18D(c)(ii) of the Racial Discrimination Act; or

(ii) done reasonably and in good faith in the course of any statement, publication or discussion, made or held for a genuine purpose in the public interest, within the requirements of section 18D(b) of the Racial Discrimination Act.

On the basis of my findings, I am satisfied that each of Mr Bolt and the Herald & Weekly Times engaged in conduct which contravened section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act.
I have made no findings of contravention in relation to the two blog articles. Those articles were relied upon for additional claims which were raised by Ms Eatock very late in the trial of the proceeding. It would have been procedurally unfair to Mr Bolt and the Herald &Weekly Times to have permitted Ms Eatock to pursue those additional claims.
As to the relief which should be granted by the Court, I intend to direct the parties to confer with a view to agreeing on orders to give affect to the Court’s reasons for judgment. I have indicated that the Court will make a declaration that Mr Bolt and the Herald &Weekly Times have contravened section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act. I have also indicated that I will make orders prohibiting the republication of the newspaper articles. In the absence of the publication of an apology, I will consider making an order for the publication in the Herald Sun of a corrective notice.
Finally, in dealing with the formulation of the orders to be made by the Court, I have observed that it is important that nothing in the orders I make should suggest that it is unlawful for a publication to deal with racial identification, including by challenging the genuineness of the identification of a group of people. I have not found Mr Bolt and the Herald & Weekly Times to have contravened section 18C, simply because the newspaper articles dealt with subject matter of that kind. I have found a contravention of the Racial Discrimination Act because of the manner in which that subject matter was dealt with.

trinest

I never got anything from the Government and still can't because I live at home. It sickens me that there are so many dollbludgers who suck up the system and people with different reasons and sercomstances can't even get a little bit of cash.

EatChildren said:
On a completely different topic, one not related to a stupid ass discussion involving that cretinous piss stain Andrew Bolt and, err, Aboriginals, the place is good to go. Documents are being signed tomorrow. Soon I will be a happy resident in the 'burbs of Heidelberg Heights.

I cant wait to spend all my time inside playing video games.
Take lots and lots of photos. Also find out what night is bin night.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Zelda: Four Swords DSiWare will be up 4:00 - 5:00 pm EST (2:00 - 3:00 pm Perth Time)

Jintor

evlcookie said:
I don't think i want to continue reading anymore. It's now officially boring haha

I did say spoilers people! Tisk tisk.

All you idiots, that's seriously the most awesome part of Book 3

cookie I picked up Storm of Swords at roughly 6pm and literally didn't put it down until I think about 5am the next morning. That thing ate my life.

Deeku

evlcookie said:
I don't think i want to continue reading anymore. It's now officially boring haha

I did say spoilers people! Tisk tisk.
I'm used to clicking on spoiler tags expecting a clever joke under it:(

Oh well, I'll probably forget about it later.

Shaneus

If there's one thing worse than PoliGAF, it's PoliAusGAF.

Not the people, but the talk. I come here to get AWAY from thinking, not induce it.

elfinke

Shaneus said:
If there's one thing worse than PoliGAF, it's PoliAusGAF.

Not the people, but the talk. I come here to get AWAY from thinking, not induce it.

Singapore was a lousy race; the safety car non-impact disappointed (though the F1 implementation of the safety car is fine given the world it works in).

I'm considering going to MelbF1 next year, having never been to a F1 race. I make the journey to Bathurst each year (it's a chance to catch up with high school and uni mates - a blokes weekend - yeah tits and stuff! /gruff voice) - for me the race is entirely secondary although the guys we stay with eat, breathe and sleep V8s.

I think I read in F1 OT that you've never been?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Jintor said:
All you idiots, that's seriously the most awesome part of Book 3

cookie I picked up Storm of Swords at roughly 6pm and literally didn't put it down until I think about 5am the next morning. That thing ate my life.

I think it's awesome but I'm not a fan of the people in the book so it's going to be a bit of a struggle.

Choc

Banned
midonnay said:
before I came to australia, university was free :(

One reason the baby boomers need to shut the fuck up about younger generations. They got free uni and did not finish with the ridiculous debts students end with now. Between 74 and 89 University was free

Before 1974, 75% of students were on commonwealth funded scholarships (that did not need to be paid back)

Did you know in New Zealand student loans are interest free, and do not even have CPI applied to them AND the maximum repayment per year is 10%, its not scaled like HECS so you dont get reamed for earning more.

Education is free in Germany. They export knowledge. There is a reason why Germany is seen as a world leader in many areas, because they export their knowledge.

It's why Microsoft is happy to give Universities software for free or at significant discount. Teach kids MS, they go into workforce always reccomending MS stuff.

Shaneus

elfinke said:
Singapore was a lousy race; the safety car non-impact disappointed (though the F1 implementation of the safety car is fine given the world it works in).

I'm considering going to MelbF1 next year, having never been to a F1 race. I make the journey to Bathurst each year (it's a chance to catch up with high school and uni mates - a blokes weekend - yeah tits and stuff! /gruff voice) - for me the race is entirely secondary although the guys we stay with eat, breathe and sleep V8s.

I think I read in F1 OT that you've never been?
Yep! I live in Geelong but haven't gone at all. I know I'll kick myself if the government drops it and I haven't gone so I really should.

Choc

Banned
incredibly expensive to go to the F1

i was able to go 1 year on Codemasters tab. That was awesome

I want to go again, maybe next year.

Ballieu is a fuckwit if he loses the race. Sure its costing fifty million but the exposure is phenomonal. How many people watch F1 worldwide, some crazy number right. And they all look at melbourne for 3 days a year. How much would that cost to get that exposure elsewhere, a lot more than 50 million thats for sure.

Typical liberal hacks not looking beyond the dollars and cents. There is also a prestige to hosting an F1 race.

Correction. ballieu is a fuckwit anyway from what i read. Just like in NSW, all the big promises the liberals made have gone no where. Awesome.

edit: I would say that Australia will be one of the races Sky has live and the BBC takes delayed.

That would diminish the value somewhat

I think it's possible to be aboriginal and have blond hair, blue eyes and freckles, as long as you have the descent and that's how you identify culturally. To say that you can't be aboriginal because you're as white as mayonnaise, Sunday roasts and the name Lachlan is just stupid. Thing is that a certain section of the populace sees the conditions the poor live in as being just the natural, not to mention deserved, result of an innate defect of character. Regardless of what you might say about inherited wealth (or lack thereof) institutional or material and their effects on outcomes for individuals and the fact that we don’t live in a society with perfect social mobility, you’re not going to shake people’s intuition vis a vis the idea that their station in life is purely the result of their own effort.

The Aborigines are a conquered people who were more or less excluded from the national life (and in many ways, the body politick) of Australia well into the late 20th century. There was a time during living memory during which Aboriginal people didn’t have full voting rights in Queensland, for instance. That sort of systematic discrimination leaves scars (like generational poverty, crime, lack of education, alcoholism etc.) and so there are policies in place to redress these inequalities. Yes, this means that there will be those getting aid who don’t need it, but something about the volume of those who shout about how unfair this is makes me think there’s something else at play here.

I get the feeling that Andrew Bolt and many of his ideological kin think that Aboriginal people as a group live lower rungs on society because they deserve to be there.

Choc

Banned
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I think it's possible to be aboriginal and have blond hair, blue eyes and freckles, as long as you have the descent and that's how you identify culturally. To say that you can't be aboriginal because you're as white as mayonnaise, Sunday roasts and the name Lachlan is just stupid. Thing is that a certain section of the populace sees the conditions the poor live in as being just the natural, not to mention deserved, result of an innate defect of character. Regardless of what you might say about inherited wealth (or lack thereof) institutional or material and their effects on outcomes for individuals and the fact that we don’t live in a society with perfect social mobility, you’re not going to shake people’s intuition vis a vis the idea that their station in life is purely the result of their own effort.

The Aborigines are a conquered people who were more or less excluded from the national life (and in many ways, the body politick) of Australia well into the late 20th century. There was a time during living memory during which Aboriginal people didn’t have full voting rights in Queensland, for instance. That sort of systematic discrimination leaves scars (like generational poverty, crime, lack of education, alcoholism etc.) and so there are policies in place to redress these inequalities. Yes, this means that there will be those getting aid who don’t need it, but something about the volume of those who shout about how unfair this is makes me think there’s something else at play here.

I get the feeling that Andrew Bolt and many of his ideological kin think that Aboriginal people as a group live lower rungs on society because they deserve to be there.

No doubt

Jintor

evlcookie said:
I think it's awesome but I'm not a fan of the people in the book so it's going to be a bit of a struggle.

rule one: everybody is either a dick, or will have to become a dick in order to survive the world of dicks

game of thrones you win or you die

DeathJr said:
You guys got paid to attend school? FUUUUUU....
Cirrection, my parents got 50 bucks a week while I went to school. HECS is up over 30 grand and climbing.

Also wiki articles mean I dont have to pay for books and saves a lot of reading time!

Deeku

Choc said:
I agree.

I was lucky enough to be staying at a trackside hotel during the first Singapore GP by total coincidence. I tried to get some tickets but it was like $700 per person...

But yeah, watching it on tv and hearing the engines buzzing outside was pretty cool.

Choc

Banned
You know those riots in the UK before the latest ones. Where london was taken over by uni students?

Do you know what that was over, they were shitty that the maximum cap for their version of hecs was gonig from 3000 pounds ($7500~) to 9000 pounds $(14,000~)

So the maximum they pay no matter what degree they complete is 14k

Even if its ones that cost 100K+ here

They don't know how good they have it!

Politics, ew.

So I purchased and played the shit out of Deus Ex HR on the weekend.

I have just arrived in
Montreal.
Am I nearly finished?

And just to lighten the mood in here, please see my favourite gif attached.

IAnHu.gif

Yagharek

I started reading a Storm of Swords this morning and nearly accidentally clicked on that spoiler. So glad I didnt because the entire series is filled with context-changing moments, so I know it must be a big event.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Jintor said:
rule one: everybody is either a dick, or will have to become a dick in order to survive the world of dicks

game of thrones you win or you die

So far though, The people who have died were not dicks. That's kinda my problem with the book at this point in time.

Choc said:

i was able to go 1 year on Codemasters tab. That was awesome

I want to go again, maybe next year.

Ballieu is a fuckwit if he loses the race. Sure its costing fifty million but the exposure is phenomonal. How many people watch F1 worldwide, some crazy number right. And they all look at melbourne for 3 days a year. How much would that cost to get that exposure elsewhere, a lot more than 50 million thats for sure.

Typical liberal hacks not looking beyond the dollars and cents. There is also a prestige to hosting an F1 race.

Correction. ballieu is a fuckwit anyway from what i read. Just like in NSW, all the big promises the liberals made have gone no where. Awesome.

edit: I would say that Australia will be one of the races Sky has live and the BBC takes delayed.

That would diminish the value somewhat
How is $59 expensive. Personally I have no interest in F1, but I went in 2010 because vodafone had given my friend 2 free tickets. It was a great experience. The motogp in Phillip island was even better.

midonnay

commanderdeek said:
I agree.

I was lucky enough to be staying at a trackside hotel during the first Singapore GP by total coincidence. I tried to get some tickets but it was like $700 per person...

But yeah, watching it on tv and hearing the engines buzzing outside was pretty cool.

is the Oz one that expensive?

remember reading in the HUN that they were reducing the ticket prices here...

700 dollars gtfo

maybe they applied their ridiculous car tax to their F1 race... (incredibly expensive to own a car in sing)

elfinke

Damn squirrel, I felt like saluting a flag while reading that post.

Hmm, a trip to Melb may be on then. 2012 is the final year of the V8 engine, before smaller capacity turbo's become the norm again yeah? I can't find the regulation announcements that tell me this, and google searching the F1 OT is a disaster. Frawdder to the rescue.

The Dark Souls OT is heading for trouble with all the anti VS pro party chat brigade. Game is hardly even out :(

I haven't been to Phillip Island for years, wanted to go this year but the stars have not aligned. Another thing for next year!

Frawdder

Shaneus said:
Yep! I live in Geelong but haven't gone at all. I know I'll kick myself if the government drops it and I haven't gone so I really should.
I want to go before the engine rules change in 2014. That's not giving myself a lot of time and I'm already annoyed at myself that I missed the V10s, but missing the F1 circus altogether would be a great shame.

hamchan

RandomVince said:
I started reading a Storm of Swords this morning and nearly accidentally clicked on that spoiler. So glad I didnt because the entire series is filled with context-changing moments, so I know it must be a big event.

Lol @ cookie's spoilers causing so much havoc. Two people already reading that spoiler is the most unfortunate thing I have seen today. It's probably the worst thing to get spoiled about in the series ever.

Jintor

evlcookie said:
So far though, The people who have died were not dicks. That's kinda my problem with the book at this point in time.

that's what i'm saying, the non-dickish die

martin's a jerk basically

RandomVince said:
I *think* I just read the big event (didn't click cookie's spoiler - still reading the book). It's big and wouldn't nearly have had the impact it did if I saw it coming.

evlcookie said:
That's the beauty of it. GRR Martin will make you love a character, then kill him off. Similarly he will make you hate another character but keep him alive.

Choc

Banned
DeathJr said:
How is $59 expensive. Personally I have no interest in F1, but I went in 2010 because vodafone had given my friend 2 free tickets. It was a great experience. The motogp in Phillip island was even better.

for General Admission. Sure, but good luck seeing a lot of the cars :)

The grandstands you need to buy a 3 day ticket to get, and that is expensive.

Plus Virgin and Qantas gouge the fuck out of that weekend as do all the hotels.

Frawdder

DeathJr said:
It gets up there in price when you don't actually live in Melbourne. And I'm not a general admission pleb, so that's out of the question. After 11 years going to the Clipsal 500 I will gladly pay the premium of a four day grandstand ticket.

Also, I need to read more Storm of Swords so I can get ahead of everyone and not worry about spoilers.

BanShunsaku said:
Politics, ew.

So I purchased and played the shit out of Deus Ex HR on the weekend.

I have just arrived in
Montreal.
Am I nearly finished?

And just to lighten the mood in here, please see my favourite gif attached.

http://i.imgur.com/IAnHu.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

From memory you're probably [spoiler] Probably roughly 60% through the game, maybe a bit more [/spoiler]

Deeku

midonnay said:
is the Oz one that expensive?

remember reading in the HUN that they were reducing the ticket prices here...

700 dollars gtfo

maybe they applied their ridiculous car tax to their F1 race... (incredibly expensive to own a car in sing)
No idea, but apparently it's $59 according to Deathjr. I guessing that's GA ticket?

The singapore had GA but I think you had to purchase a 3day ticket, and that was already in the hundreds with admission to only one stand. The 700 dollar (which the concierge at the hotel suggested to me lol) was access to 3 stands as well as walking around the paddock - which is cool but I ain't paying that much. The most expensive package was in the thousands and was basically all access including the VIP lounge above pit. Again, really awesome, but really expensive!

Jintor

That series gripped me so bad. I caught up on the entire series, all... five...? Books or so, within a month.

So good. But it reminded me on why I like to read things after people have actually finished writing them.

jambo

DeathJr said:

$310-$510 for 4-day grandstand passes.

We should totally do an AusGAF meet up at the 2012 Melbourne F1 Grand Prix!

Choc

Banned
commanderdeek said:
No idea, but apparently it's $59 according to Deathjr. I guessing that's GA ticket?

The singapore had GA but I think you had to purchase a 3day ticket, and that was already in the hundreds with admission to only one stand. The 700 dollar (which the concierge at the hotel suggested to me lol) was access to 3 stands as well as walking around the paddock - which is cool but I ain't paying that much. The most expensive package was in the thousands and was basically all access including the VIP lounge above pit. Again, really awesome, but really expensive!

i think if you add a corporate box at the afl grand final and a corporate box at the nrl grand final together you get close to what the F1 corporate tickets are.

something crazy, i looked it up once. Was more than a first class flight to the UK hah :)

Yagharek

evlcookie said:

To be fair though, in a long running series when its not even at the halfway point, you expect more bad things to happen than good things. This goes for all stories.

Oh, and as an aside in the fictional universe battles that pop up in the OT from time to time (eg the Maud Dib (sic) Dune universe vs the SW Empire - most people seem to imagine the SW Empire would win each of these battles).

I'm going to nominate one fictional entity that would smash the shit out of the Star Wars Empire (at it's full strength): The Foundation. Simple, inexorable, innocuous and perfectly efficient. And it's not even the driver behind its own actions.

Top Bottom