• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
DeathJr said:
That's the beauty of it. GRR Martin will make you love a character, then kill him off. Similarly he will make you hate another character but keep him alive.

Jintor said:
that's what i'm saying, the non-dickish die

martin's a jerk basically

I agree but i don't find this to be exciting or great story telling. I have no issues with the bad guys winning at the end of the day if that's how the story should play it, But it feels so off in this series for some reason.

I also think you could read the last page and a half of each chapter and still know what is going on, since the majority of every chapter is just bullshit page fluff.

Choc said:
You know those riots in the UK before the latest ones. Where london was taken over by uni students?
it was a small part of the reason for the riot. The more upsetting reason is the underlying unrest that a large minority of people living there is a part of. They don't like how most things have been going for many years now and more and more people are becoming irritated at the direction the government is taking the country every day. A societal divide if you will. Of course people made the most of the riots to cause as much trouble as they could since they wanted an outlet for their frustration.
It wasn't all uni students.

DeathJr said:
motogp in Phillip island was even better.
Didn't enjoy it. Food and alcohol were more overpriced than the MCG and it was just a meh experience. The bikes were cool but they weren't the giant step up I thought they would be.
I remember really loving the F1 when it was in Adelaide when I was a tiny little lad.

hamchan said:
I dunno, plenty of people who are dicks die in ASOIAF *shrugs*.
Yep. Also, some of those dicks even have moments of redemption. That's what makes it so gripping - you don't know what's going to happen and your emotions are up the whole time. It also makes the payoff that much sweeter.

I mean, facing down Von Karma in Phoenix Wright 1 wouldn't've been so awesome had he not been a rat fink weasel cheating cheater who always somehow beat you even when you thought you had him on the ropes.

RandomVince said:
To be fair though, in a long running series when its not even at the halfway point, you expect more bad things to happen than good things. This goes for all stories.

Oh, and as an aside in the fictional universe battles that pop up in the OT from time to time (eg the Maud Dib (sic) Dune universe vs the SW Empire - most people seem to imagine the SW Empire would win each of these battles).

I'm going to nominate one fictional entity that would smash the shit out of the Star Wars Empire (at it's full strength): The Foundation. Simple, inexorable, innocuous and perfectly efficient. And it's not even the driver behind its own actions.
You should totally make a thread.

Shaneus

commanderdeek said:
I agree.

I was lucky enough to be staying at a trackside hotel during the first Singapore GP by total coincidence. I tried to get some tickets but it was like $700 per person...

But yeah, watching it on tv and hearing the engines buzzing outside was pretty cool.
Tickets for the most expensive stands at Melbourne are $510.
Frawdder said:
It gets up there in price when you don't actually live in Melbourne. And I'm not a general admission pleb, so that's out of the question. After 11 years going to the Clipsal 500 I will gladly pay the premium of a four day grandstand ticket.
The last races I went to were either the top fuellers at Calder Park or the sprint cars at Avalon! Keen as mustard to go to this.

Given I've never been before, I'll gladly pay up to $510 for the experience. I've paid $100 for concerts and music festivals that weren't that great, this is a drop in the ocean. Living so (relatively) close means I don't have to worry about additional expenses if I don't want to splash out on a nearby hotel or something, either.

I've had a chat to my brother (who's dead-keen as well) so I'll probably be organising tickets just with him rather than having some random weirdos from an internet forum join us ;)

Jintor

I mean, facing down Von Karma in Phoenix Wright 1 wouldn't've been so awesome had he not been a rat fink weasel cheating cheater who always somehow beat you even when you thought you had him on the ropes.

Hey Phoenix

why not confront me in a locked evidence room with no witnesses? Isn't that a great idea?

OH WHOOPS TASER

Deeku

Choc said:
i think if you add a corporate box at the afl grand final and a corporate box at the nrl grand final together you get close to what the F1 corporate tickets are.

something crazy, i looked it up once. Was more than a first class flight to the UK hah :)
I'm just gonna wait until I become important enough and then my future employer sends me there expenses paid lol

Choc

Banned
reptilescorpio said:
it was a small part of the reason for the riot. The more upsetting reason is the underlying unrest that a large minority of people living there is a part of. They don't like how most things have been going for many years now and more and more people are becoming irritated at the direction the government is taking the country every day. A societal divide if you will. Of course people made the most of the riots to cause as much trouble as they could since they wanted an outlet for their frustration.
It wasn't all uni students.

Didn't enjoy it. Food and alcohol were more overpriced than the MCG and it was just a meh experience. The bikes were cool but they weren't the giant step up I thought they would be.
I remember really loving the F1 when it was in Adelaide when I was a tiny little lad.

rep
the riots all over london were for that, not the student based riots a few months earlier.

im not talking about the recent ones where shit went insane

elfinke

From what little lurking I do over at SI, I thought this was always the eventual end to where FM was headed? '07 was the last FM I bought and played (not including FM on the iOS), but 2012 is tempting me all over again. Will wait for a demo, like always.

Echoplx

Love this post
Bad move in my opinion. This restricts people playing in other countries who do not have Internet Connections (which inturn leads to them maybe pirating it themselves when they wasn't going to do that in the first place).
Yes people without internet connection and steam access will easily be able to pirate -_-

Got to love the various groups on Facebook around 'As an Australian, I want Manly to get beaten by the Warriors' and the comments that they make. Most of these people weren't even alive when the whole 'Silver Tails' thing originated, yet they act like Manly winning the Grand Final would be an affront to God Almighty? Sport does weird things to people.

Yagharek

On the side of SW no doubt.

All I'll say of it is this: Foundation had its own 'force' equivalent: Gaia. And the Foundation outlasted it.

edit: bugger it, I'm doing it. Can't be any more inane than half the discussion that goes on :p

Choc

Banned
the FM thread is gold

its like going back 3 years when people only just got used to steam. Because some of these guys all they play is fm

anyway

Originally Posted by Chris Ritchie
Again, I've repeatedly pointed out that being denied access to your game for any amount of time at all by Steam is unacceptable. You've paid for it and a third party program shouldn't be stopping you playing it. A minute is too long.
:facepalm:

Fredescu

Sutton Dagger said:
Got to love the various groups on Facebook around 'As an Australian, I want Manly to get beaten by the Warriors' and the comments that they make. Most of these people weren't even alive when the whole 'Silver Tails' thing originated, yet they act like Manly winning the Grand Final would be an affront to God Almighty? Sport does weird things to people.
I think it's less a 'Silver Tails' thing and more a support the plucky underdog thing. I'm definitely supporting the Warriors.

RandomVince said:
On the side of SW no doubt.

All I'll say of it is this: Foundation had its own 'force' equivalent: Gaia. And the Foundation outlasted it.

edit: bugger it, I'm doing it. Can't be any more inane than half the discussion that goes on :p
Depends on what historical period of the Foundation you're talking about. Backing Paul Atreides era Duniverse was like backing the underdog in a fight between the US military today vs the US military circa 1780.

jambo

Choc said:
Originally Posted by Chris Ritchie
Again, I've repeatedly pointed out that being denied access to your game for any amount of time at all by Steam is unacceptable. You've paid for it and a third party program shouldn't be stopping you playing it. A minute is too long.
:facepalm:

He's right though

Yagharek

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Depends on what historical period of the Foundation you're talking about. Backing Paul Atreides era Duniverse was like backing the underdog in a fight between the US military today vs the US military circa 1780.

I'm arguing on the side of Terminus at its inception, through to the eventual success of its plan.

Fredescu said:
I think it's less a 'Silver Tails' thing and more a support the plucky underdog thing. I'm definitely supporting the Warriors.

Nope, definitely a Silver Tails thing in relation to the Facebook groups, you should see some of the comments :)

I also support the underdogs typically (if they aren't playing against 'my' team), but some of the comments are hilarious given the context of the modern game.

Fredescu

Sutton Dagger said:
Nope, definitely a Silver Tails thing in relation to the Facebook groups, you should see some of the comments :)
I guess they're just regurgitating old talking points. Still, a Manly victory would certainly be an affront to God Almighty.

Shaneus

codswallop said:
Driving from Geelong to Melbourne through this storm. It's awesome ...
Awesome. Let me know when you get here so I can grab a lift to the train station. Fuck running 200m in pissing rain when someone can drive me!

Choc

Banned
We all now know Paradox are the only games company in the world with any morals and probably going to be the only games company left in the next 5 years because they dont protect their games, everyone else will drive their customers away. We all know that steam ruins your computer whilst stealing your personal information with the view to broadcasting it around the world in various podcasts, But can we all accept this is happening? Maybe try and help people unsure about steam??

lol wat

Yagharek

viciouskillersquirrel said:
You're giving them the full thousand years? That's not even fair.

They only need a couple of hundred years. The Empire fell pretty early on, as the rot had already set in. It was the Chaos that was more dangerous.

Ventron

The Melbourne weather sounds fun. I love the look and sound of heavy storms (but only when I'm safely undercover). We only have an overcast sky here in Brissy...

Jintor

Choc said:
We all now know Paradox are the only games company in the world with any morals and probably going to be the only games company left in the next 5 years because they dont protect their games, everyone else will drive their customers away. We all know that steam ruins your computer whilst stealing your personal information with the view to broadcasting it around the world in various podcasts, But can we all accept this is happening? Maybe try and help people unsure about steam??

lol wat

Tempted to make a timewarp thread in gaming, but it's a bit mean tbh. They're not full-gamers and most of their complaints are legit. I just happen to trust Valve more than them.

/edit although that comment is insane

Guess where I am...smack in the middle of the CBD.

Pedestrians running for their lives, over flowing drains, cops medics and fire trucks everywhere....glorious.

Also, i'm Swyping while driving. :p

Gazunta

I played Dune 2 on the Amiga, that's about it.

Why the hell isn't there a good Battle Chess-esque game on iOS already? If I had some willing coders and artists I would make one with a unique take on the concept...

I am thinking of making some small (SMALL) games to help promote the comics...but TIME!

Top Bottom