• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin City Limits Fest 2010 - Phish, Eagles, Muse and I paid 185 dollars for what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Full lineup is out..

Muse, Phish and the Eagles are the headliners.

For fucks sake, I'm really not thrilled with the lineup... most of the good bands have played ACL and/or SXSW multiple times. Ever since C3 started running Lolla it seems like ACL has been an afterthought. I don't think any of these 3 bands are legit festival headliners.. at least not anymore. Maybe Muse? But that seems like a stretch.

* The Eagles
* Muse
* Phish

* The Strokes
* M.I.A
* Flaming Lips

* LCD Soundsystem
* Spoon
* Vampire Weekend
* Norah Jones

* Band of Horses
* Monsters of Folk
* Deadmau5
* Sonic Youth
* Gogol Bordello
* The National
* Robert Earl Keen
* The Black Keys
* Broken Bells
* Slightly Stoopid
* Yeasayer
* Pat Green
* Rebelution
* Beach House
* The Sword
* Matt and Kim
* The xx
* Portugal. The Man
* The Temper Trap
* Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
* Girls
* Ryan Bingham & The Dead Horses
* Local Natives
* Gaslight Anthem
* Lucero
* Devendra Banhart
* Blues Traveler
* Pete Yorn

* The Soft Pack
* Gayngs
* Amos Lee
* Robert Randolph & The Family Band
* Ozomatli
* Richard Thompson
* Martin Sexton
* Manchester Orchestra
* The Almighty Defenders
* Miike Snow
* Mountain Goats
* Bear in Heaven
* Mayer Hawthorne
* Midlake
* Foals
* Switchfoot
* Cage the Elephant
* JJ Grey & Mofro
* Kinky
* Angus & Julia Stone
* The Morning Benders
* Hockey
* White Rabbits
* David Bazan
* Asleep at the Wheel
* Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue
* Nortec Collective
* The Very Best
* Beats Antique
* Henry Clay People
* Blind Pilot
* GIVERS
* Dawes
* Band of Heathens
* Charlie Mars
* Two Door Cinema Club
* Lissie
* Sarah Harmer
* The Constellations
* T. Bird and the Breaks
* Chief
* Frank Turner
* Those Darlins
* Carolyn Wonderland
* Kings Go Forth
* The Relatives
* The Ettes
* Qbeta
* The Dough Rollers
* MyNameIsJohnMichael
* Basia Bulat
* Balmorhea
* Dan Black
* The Jane Shermans
* The Kicks
* Ponderosa
* Two Tons of Steel
* Caitlin Rose
* SPEAK
* Run With Bulls
* Maxim Ludwig
* Gospel Stars
* Heavenly Voices
* Wesley Bray & The Disciples of Joy
* Jones Family Singers
* Ashley Cleveland & Kenny Greenberg
* Buddy & The Straight Way Travelers
* Ruby Jane Smith
* The Verve Pipe
* Frances England
* The Jellydots
* Elizabeth Mitchell
* Okee Dokee Brothers
* Tom Freund
* School of Rock
* Q Brothers

JeTmAn81

Wow, those three are some of my favorite bands. I'd definitely pay $185 just to see those three together. There are a bunch of other bands on that list I'd love to see as well.

StoOgE

JeTmAn81 said:
Wow, those three are some of my favorite bands. I'd definitely pay $185 just to see those three together. There are a bunch of other bands on that list I'd love to see as well.

I like the Eagles and Muse well enough. Compare it to what Cochella had this year.. Muse, Jay Z and the Gorillaz. Much better lineup.

Lolla has Greenday, Soundgarden and Lady Gaga which are also much bigger bands.. and Lolla is run by the same production company based out of Austin.

Phish can go die in a fire. Hippie Jam Bands are not my cup of tea and there presence is going to increase the BO factor the day they play.

JeTmAn81

StoOgE said:
I like the Eagles and Muse well enough.

Phish can go die in a fire. Hippie Jam Bands are not my cup of tea and there presence is going to increase the BO factor the day they play.

*shrug* they are well known for having amazing live shows. I cursed the day they broke up before I got to see them on tour.

ATF487

StoOgE said:
Full lineup is out..

Muse, Phish and the Eagles are the headliners.

For fucks sake, I'm really not thrilled with the lineup... most of the good bands have played ACL and/or SXSW multiple times. Ever since C3 started running Lolla it seems like ACL has been an afterthought. I don't think any of these 3 bands are legit festival headliners.. at least not anymore. Maybe Muse? But that seems like a stretch.

* The Strokes
* Flaming Lips

* LCD Soundsystem
* Spoon
* Vampire Weekend

* Band of Horses
* Monsters of Folk
* Sonic Youth
* The National
* The Black Keys
* Broken Bells
* Yeasayer
* Beach House
* Matt and Kim
* The xx
* Portugal. The Man
* Girls
* Local Natives
* Gaslight Anthem
* Devendra Banhart
* Pete Yorn
* The Soft Pack
* Gayngs
* Manchester Orchestra
* Mountain Goats
* Midlake
* Foals
* The Morning Benders
* White Rabbits
* The Very Best
* Frank Turner

Bolded are things I like, non-bolded things that I've heard of. Not a bad lineup, actually

Puddles

Banned
Is Muse trying to headline every festival out there? They're headlining one in Japan and one in Korea this summer too. :lol

Also, while the top three don't quite match up with some of the all-time great festival headliners (aside from Muse, and I guess The Eagles for nostalgia's sake, though I hate the fucking Eagles, man), that undercard is sick.

* The Strokes
* M.I.A
* Flaming Lips
* LCD Soundsystem
* Spoon
* Vampire Weekend
* Norah Jones
* Band of Horses
* Deadmau5
* Sonic Youth
* Gogol Bordello
* The National
* The Black Keys
* Slightly Stoopid
* Ozomatli

are pretty much all bands that you would pay more than a few dollars to see on their own.

StoOgE

perfectchaos007 said:
yeah mediocre lineup this year. Oh well, everyone just goes there to smoke pot and drink underage without fear of getting arrested anyway

Pretty much.

The undercard is good enough I suppose.. it's really the top of the ticket that is pissing me off.

Plus, Spoon and Flaming Lips play Austin several times a year it seems. I also don't get why you bring in Robert Earl Keen, Pat Green and Asleep at the Wheel.. I mean, yes people here love them, but you can see any of them for 5 dollars at any given time around town.

MIA and Phish are the only acts that are playing that are at least somewhat off of the normal ACL path.. and I don't really like Phish. They need to branch out from just Indie Rock/Classic Rock/Texas Country. There are a lot of rap/hip hop acts in this state and elsewhere that really need to be added.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Saw the lineup last night and thought the same thing about the headliners. I'd be completely fine with Muse being the second or third best headliner on a show, but not as the only one I'd want to see.

I think that everything after the three headliners is great, though you are right about most of them playing Austin frequently enough (and those that haven't played Austin recently, I'm actually going to be seeing at Bonnaroo). I was disappointed that I missed the early sale, but now I'll be glad to just pick up a one day ticket for whenever Muse is on assuming the other bands that day are good too.

Joe

StoOgE said:
* Muse
* The Strokes
* M.I.A
* LCD Soundsystem
* Vampire Weekend
* Sonic Youth
* The National
* The Black Keys
* Broken Bells
* The xx
* Portugal. The Man
* Blues Traveler
* Miike Snow
* Two Door Cinema Club
That's pretty awesome right there. But how can you have a festival in Austin without Trail of Dead???

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
perfectchaos007 said:
yeah mediocre lineup this year. Oh well, everyone just goes there to smoke pot and drink underage without fear of getting arrested anyway
and sweat your ass off and have so much dirt all over you that your picking dirt burgers out of your nose for 3 days.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Bought a ticket for Friday since I wanted to go to Austin that week anyways for GDC. Never been to a concert before so this should be an experience, and if I have second thoughts I can always sell it at the front gate for like $100.

StoOgE

Joe said:
That's pretty awesome right there. But how can you have a festival in Austin without Trail of Dead???

They do manage to play ACL most years. Not sure why they aren't there.

dekjo said:
Am I the only one who didn't know they were still around?

Naw, they became a hippie jam band over the last few years. Big at festivals, not on the radio as much anymore.

I still like them though.

StoOgE

Archaix said:
Saw the lineup last night and thought the same thing about the headliners. I'd be completely fine with Muse being the second or third best headliner on a show, but not as the only one I'd want to see.

I think that everything after the three headliners is great, though you are right about most of them playing Austin frequently enough (and those that haven't played Austin recently, I'm actually going to be seeing at Bonnaroo). I was disappointed that I missed the early sale, but now I'll be glad to just pick up a one day ticket for whenever Muse is on assuming the other bands that day are good too.

They havent announced the times yet, but they have the bands sortable by day on the thing.

Friday and Saturday seem to be the stronger days.

Muse is Saturday with MIA, LCD Soundsystem, Deadmau5, Gogol Bordello, Matt and Kim and The XX being the bands of the most interest. Not a bad lineup for 85 bucks.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
dekjo said:
Am I the only one who didn't know they were still around?

They sort of took time away then regrouped and went full on Jamband circuit style, and the lead singer lost a ton of weight.

StoOgE

Brettison said:
They sort of took time away then regrouped and went full on Jamband circuit style, and the lead singer lost a ton of weight.

The one that shocked me was Verve pipe. I would have guessed they broke up at least a decade ago :lol

And they are WAY down the list so they have fallen pretty hard. Like 3rd of 4th from the bottom. After they play Freshman, everyone will just leave. :lol

dekjo

Brettison said:

Really? Popper is skinny now? Got to google image him.

edit: Holy shit you're right. Maybe not skinny, but definitely thinner.

This is how I remember him

john-popper1.jpg

And now

220px-John_Popper.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
StoOgE said:
* The Eagles
* Muse
* M.I.A
* Flaming Lips
* LCD Soundsystem
* Vampire Weekend
* Gogol Bordello
* The Black Keys
* Broken Bells
* Matt and Kim
* The xx
* Portugal. The Man
* Lucero
* Devendra Banhart
* Foals
* Cage the Elephant
* The Morning Benders

This looks like $185 well spent to me.

Ceres

Banned
So I get that you might not like them. But you really don't think Eagles and/or Phish are capable of headlining something like this?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Why does everyone always complain about music festival lineups? Who did you think would headline? Kings of Leon or some other bad band? There seems to be some good bands in that lineup. I don't know whether it would be worth the price.

Meier

Muse headlined Lolla a few years ago and have gotten bigger since. They're definitely a legit headliner. Eagles tickets usually cost $185 each as is! Phish is take it or leave it -- no interest to me, but they kind of fit into ACL so I'm not shocked.

I like the ACL lineup much more than Lolla's this year.

Ceres

Banned
Meier said:
Muse headlined Lolla a few years ago and have gotten bigger since. They're definitely a legit headliner. Eagles tickets usually cost $185 each as is! Phish is take it or leave it -- no interest to me, but they kind of fit into ACL so I'm not shocked.

I like the ACL lineup much more than Lolla's this year.

Phish has their own fests that have had more attendees than ACL Fest. Including one in 2004 that featured Phish playing 6 different sets over 2 days and not a single other band. My roommate went to that show. It was the band's "last show" before they reunited in 2009 again. They've got an extremely devoted following.

StoOgE said:
* The Strokes
* Flaming Lips
* LCD Soundsystem
* Spoon
* Vampire Weekend
* Band of Horses
* Monsters of Folk
* Deadmau5
* Sonic Youth
* The National
* The Black Keys
* Matt and Kim
* The xx
* Portugal. The Man
* Girls
* Local Natives
* Gaslight Anthem
* Robert Randolph & The Family Band
* Manchester Orchestra
* Mountain Goats

easily worth $185 IMO

Pre

I'd love to see the Strokes, Spoon, Phish, Muse, and LCD Soundsystem. It's actually a pretty impressive lineup overall.

StoOgE

Just started playing around itunes and looking at some of the bands I hadn't heard of.

Broken Bells is FANTASTIC. Shocked I hadn't heard of them, but their debut album is only a month or so old.

It's a side project between James Mercer (Shins) and Danger Mouse. It certainly feels like a Danger Mouse produced album, and he's playing drums (no mouse costume :( ).

It really feels like a weird happy medium between the Shins and his work with Sparklehorse.. which is to say a bit more upbeat, but still very unique.

I am slowly becoming convinced Danger Mouse is the greatest musician alive. I know he's said on more than one occasion that he wants to be viewed as an auteur like a Woody Allen and I think he is really achieving that.. everything still sounds really unique but have a familiar feel to them. It's hard to explain but somehow I can see this being put out by the guy behind Danger Doom and Gnarles Barkley.

StoOgE

Day 1 is over.

Quick Reviews:

Miike Snow - Fucking awesome live show.
Black Keys - I know my hipster cred says I should love these guys, just don't care for them.
Beach House - interesting. Took me most of the show to decide if the lead singer was a guy or girl. I finally settled on girl.
Spoon - one of my favorite bands. Totally phoned it in. Terrible performance. FFS guys, most bands kill it when they return home for their last show on the tour. Boourns.
Vampire Weekend - crazy good show. Turned into a giant dance party.

The Strokes - Something of a guilty pleasure of mine. I was pretty far back there (right next to the control booth) and this drunk/high frat boy kept shouting "New York City Cops" between every song. It's a Strokes show. Of course they are going to play it. It's like going to a RHCP concert and requesting under the bridge. Shut up. I still like the Strokes, but they spend more time on stage trying to look like Rockstars than actually playing music.

Anyway, they played the Thundercats theme song. It was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom