• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Government wants to implement a Netflix Tax

Justin9mm

https://www.9news.com.au/technology...s-update/660d8d34-fa1b-4edc-aa4c-3038ae1087db

https://www.9news.com.au/technology...s-update/23aaac3a-6adb-41b7-8fdd-9045dadb64b4

For those not in Australia, the NBN Co (National Broadband Network) is an Australian Government owned and operated wholesale open access system that our Internet Service Providers connect to, to provide home broadband to the consumer.

They want to charge us a tax on streaming services such as Netflix for additional revenue on top of our subscription and the high price we already pay for mediocre speeds. This is so they can effectively reduce speeds so they don't need to upgrade our already outdated infrastructure.

This is absolutely ridiculous that they want to control how we use our internet access by penalising us for using high bandwidth. I don't know anywhere else in the world that would suggest such a ridiculous revenue raising scheme!

This looks like a joke to the rest of the world IMO.

You get better alcohol then the states. It's the price you pay for being able to toss another shrimp on the barbie. Plus your booze is always thuggin on our bitch.

BigBooper

It's a money making scheme. If they aren't charging enough to their customers to maintain and gradually update their system, then they should charge their customers more.

You can bet that they'll then just try to pass the increase onto you anyways, but they will have to be very careful and smart about it because it leaves room for other providers to stay cheaper if they get competitive. Not like a straight tax, where it seems they often get away with it without showing any justification.

This is why you maximize the utility of your subscription by engaging in VPN antics. I have access to the global netflix and amazon libraries courtesy of nordVPN. I also utilize the same to buy low and sell high. I've sold ~300 copies of minecraft for windows 10 in the past month at a 500% markup. Thanks Russia.

If the corporations can play at globalism, if Microsoft can get away with paying 1-2% sales taxes, so can motherfucking I. Let's see who's fucking who in the long run shall we.

Last edited:

Falcs

Banned
Fuck this country and the shitty NBN. I'm so sick and tired of our shit Internet down here and the fact that things are...
I've sold ~300 copies of minecraft for windows 10 in the past month at a 500% markup. Thanks Russia.

Wait... What??

nush

This is why you maximize the utility of your subscription by engaging in VPN antics. I have access to the global netflix and amazon libraries courtesy of nordVPN. I also utilize the same to buy low and sell high. I've sold ~300 copies of minecraft for windows 10 in the past month at a 500% markup. Thanks Russia.

If the corporations can play at globalism, if Microsoft can get away with paying 1-2% sales taxes, so can motherfucking I. Let's see who's fucking who in the long run shall we.
Hey you forgot to add your Nord VPN discount code with this post.

Fuck this country and the shitty NBN. I'm so sick and tired of our shit Internet down here and the fact that things are...

Wait... What??

Buy for $2 sell for $10. Pretty simple.

Hey you forgot to add your Nord VPN discount code with this post.

Nah the lithuanian guy that owns nordvpn (which he runs from panama) is a gangster. He sells your data probably, would not recommend any well known software such as this. Unless you too are engaged in gangsta activities.

Last edited:

Mohonky

So long story short;

NBN: we've provided you with such shitty infrastructure with such low speed and bandwidth capability, we're gonna have to charge you guys more for using it in a way that any other developed nation in the 21st century does.

No you useless cunts. Australia's communication infrastructure is so woefully shit. It used to be Telstra had the monopoly of owning it all and yet somehow, providers who were paying Telstra to use their lines were still able to provide superior service plans for at times significantly less cost.

Then the government actually gave Telstra a payout for the fact they would no longer receive their free cash cow for owning all the lines (that would typically fail during any decent rainfall).

Now the NBN was providing fibre to the premise, but then they decided fuck it we'll piggyback off of Telstras pre-existing shitty copper and just run fibre a node and spend the next few (probably decades) constantly repairing the pre-existing copper from the nodes to the premise that also acts as a fantastic bottleneck.

These assholes seriously; they should have rolled out fibre to the premise as the very least. It's going to cost us so many billions more in the long haul just to keep and maintain the shitty copper lines and low speeds.

Rajack

This seems gratuitous, onerous, and ridiculously stupid. What the Australian government really needs to do is fix/upgrade their goddamn communications infrastructure. Maybe then there won't be such a massive issue with bandwidth congestion. Entertainment taxes are absolutely insipid.

So Aus labor gov (think left wing politics) comes up with a grand vision of a ultra fast internet with optic fibre to every house...other government comes in Liberals (Right wing) says they can do it for cheaper and come up with some stupid mix of old and new tech.......turns out its shit and people have realised

They decide the way to fix it is to punish the users who wanted faster internet in the first place
How good is that Government

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Good shit.

The only buy low sell high I ever did was around 20 years ago. There was this weekend doorcrasher at an electronics store selling some recent releases for $9.99. I think they were $59.99 reg price.

I remember being able to get two copies of Dungeon Keeper and two copies of Links. $40. Add in tax at the time and it was around $45.

Went to a game store down the street that actually bought used PC games off people (it's still there!). They bought them from me for $35 each = $140. So I made around $100 in an hour. lol

Years later, some friends tried to hoard Game Cubes thinking they would be hot sellers like N64. Bomb. I think they sold them for breakeven and ended up returning them to the store and get their money back. Good attempt though.

Last edited:

Mohonky

So Aus labor gov (think left wing politics) comes up with a grand vision of a ultra fast internet with optic fibre to every house...other government comes in Liberals (Right wing) says they can do it for cheaper and come up with some stupid mix of old and new tech.......turns out its shit and people have realised

They decide the way to fix it is to punish the users who wanted faster internet in the first place
How good is that Government

Yeh, and it ended up costing us MORE.

Yeh, and it ended up costing us MORE.
i understand that the original labor plan did have some holes but you cant argue that the liberals have really fucked up the NBN
and its probably gonna cost even more money to fix the fuckups even with the holes in the original plan

Falcs

Banned
i understand that the original labor plan did have some holes but you cant argue that the liberals have really fucked up the NBN
and its probably gonna cost even more money to fix the fuckups even with the holes in the original plan
Fuck Malcom Turnbull. Useless dumb cunt.
Clear example of what happens when you get someone who knows nothing about technology and put them in charge of technology.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
How can Australia have such shitty (insert label here)? I mean you are worse than Canada and thats sad.

1) Spend 5-10 years figuring out that work is required.
2) Sign contract for premium cost, and half the job needed.
3) Wait years for "completion" of underbudgeted project, paying performance bonuses during it.
4) Realise it is 10-20 years behind what you needed.
5) Go to step 1

Give or take.

Teletraan1

Banned
How can Australia have such shitty internets? I mean you are worse than Canada and thats sad.

The day that Netflix launched in Canada also coincided with the two major internet providers (Bell and Rogers) putting data caps on their services. Data caps were not a thing here before Netflix. You basically have to pay double the pre netflix rates to avoid a cap from these providers. I guess it is a form of a "tax".

cryptoadam

Banned
The day that Netflix launched in Canada also coincided with the two major internet providers (Bell and Rogers) putting data caps on their services. Data caps were not a thing here before Netflix. You basically have to pay double the pre netflix rates to avoid a cap from these providers. I guess it is a form of a "tax".

Nah we always had data caps. I remember like a decade ago I went way over my cap and got a huge bill.

And most Bell plans are pretty reasonable with data. I have 250 GB and the next level I am pretty sure is unlimited. I only keep my plan because I got a 20$ credit grandfathered in when I got the plan so I don't want to lose it but my internet bill keeps going up and up.

Overall price is pretty high for internet because its a duopoly so neither has to compete on price. And really they only care about new customers so you get good deals but they don't give you much in the loyalty department.

Teletraan1

Banned
Nah we always had data caps. I remember like a decade ago I went way over my cap and got a huge bill.

And most Bell plans are pretty reasonable with data. I have 250 GB and the next level I am pretty sure is unlimited. I only keep my plan because I got a 20$ credit grandfathered in when I got the plan so I don't want to lose it but my internet bill keeps going up and up.

Overall price is pretty high for internet because its a duopoly so neither has to compete on price. And really they only care about new customers so you get good deals but they don't give you much in the loyalty department.

I was wrong that they started in the same year. They soft launched them in 2008 on lower end plans. By the time Netflix in Canada launched in 2011 they had severely restricted the plans to useless amounts unless you paid up.

https://money.cnn.com/2011/05/17/technology/netflix_canada/index.htm

Top Bottom