• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AVG or Norton or AntiVir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

Current have Norton 02-04 on various comps. Had it on my laptop. But I just grabbed a gig of RAM and a 7200rpm drive, so I got a new XP install. I'm looking at antivirus progs and don't really know what to go with now. Ran search and AVG seems to be pretty well-recommended, as is AntiVir. How well are these supported? How effective are they?

I think I've read that AVG is fast. Fast is good, I'd probably run system scans more often if I didn't fear the bog. Is AntiVir also faster than Norton? Norton can be slow as hell, and probably eats more memory than it deserves. Fast and efficient is important.

However, I want a program that will also scan emails and catch most of the viruses out there. Reading that 593 virus thread made AVG look like the worst of the bunch. I don't know if that's b/c of updates or what, but it wasn't very encouraging. Which one should I choose? PEACE.

aoi tsuki

Of fucking hell, i NEVER intend to use a Norton product again. After having uninstall Norton Antivirus over a month ago, i noticed NAV process (navsvc.exe IIRC) still running. i terminated it, and found the NAV still there, with a few other files. So i deleted the folder. The next day i rebooted, and couldn't get online. After a while i thought to check the event viewer, which led me to Google up a mysterious resource called SYMTDI. Turns out NAV uses it yet doesn't uninstall it (or some other files), yet it's basically required to get online. i had to wade through my registry and delete all instances of dependencies of the service.

i've been using Anti-Vir for months with no problems. i've never had a virus myself -- mainly a combination of common sense, some computer savvy, and luck.

i expect for spyware to fuck up my system. But not software... VIRUS FUCKING PROTECTION software to do it, especially when i payed for my copy, along with a couple of years of updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom