• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azumi:The Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greekboy

Banned
Now I really haven't seen films like this before but I absolutely loved this film. Anyone seen it before? Any thoughts?

azumise.jpg

nitewulf

its really really really really bad. though the fruity villain looked cool, kinda like a FF villain.
and the main chic (azumi) is really cute.

Lisa Lashes said:
What films with this style would you guys recommend for this lass?

Anything by Kitamura (except for Sky High). He basically takes a style over story appraoch. It's something you're either going to like or hate. I personally like his style, others hate it.

So try stuff like Versus, Aragami ect.

RiZ III

I thought it was awsome. Was fun to watch. Can't wait for the sequel. Its not everyday you see a jpop star kicking some ass.

fart

Savant
yah if you like trash like azumi you'll like kitamura's OTHER trash too.

oh man ssx, i'm still having flashes of how awesome oldboy was like two weeks later.

ETA: i just realized who directed this piece of trash

fart said:
yah if you like trash like azumi you'll like kitamura's trash too.

oh man ssx, i'm still having flashes of how awesome oldboy was like two weeks later.

The ending to Oldboy just blew me away. It makes sense once you find out, but man is it brutal and just painful to watch unfold.

RiZ III

I dont get why you guys didnt like the movie. It had a nice cheezy story, a ninja girl who could kick some ass and cool bloody fight scenes. What were you expecting from an asian action flick?

HAOHMARU

I thought Azumi was pretty good...but it needed some serious editing. There was a lot of stuff on their that could have been left on the chop blocks.

My favorite character in the movie was the guy that was like a monkey...he was awesome.

Now, if you are into AWESOME samurai movies check these out:

Lady Snowblood (first one is godly...second one is ok)
Lone Wolf and Cub (entire fucking series is BADASS)
Zatoichi (the old school ones with Katsu Shintaro...I haven't seen the one that came out last year yet)

Samurai Fiction is pretty good.
Versus is ok...a little wacky at times and another Japanese movie that needs some serious editing like Azumi.

Finally, if you haven't seen any of Kurosawa's samurai movies you need too...nuff' said.

aoi tsuki

Versus > Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes cutscenes > Azumi > Alive > Heat After Dark

What's Kitamura's fascination with circular camera movement? The end of the final fight was dizzying but cool, but in Azumi it was downright ridiculous.

"Samurai Fiction is pretty good."

Underestatement! That was made by one of the best directors out there right now, Hiroyuki Nakano. If you want more proof of this mans genius watch Stereo Future.

HAOHMARU

What is Stereo Future about?

Has anybody else seen any of the Zatoichi, Lady Snowblood, Lone Wolf and Cub series? I can't be the only one... >_<

nitewulf

my problem with azumi and versus is that, i, unlike you guys, didnt actually find the "fight" scenes worthwhile. they looked painfully fake and retarded. the rapid switching of the camera angles made sure viewers wouldnt be able to detect much, but for someone like me, who enjoys hard, brutal combat...its just not my cup of tea.
i like style as much as anyone else, and if some hot chic stands there and does kata with a samurai sword for 15 seconds and then proceeds to fly and chop off 5 heads right after that, i'd love it. but it has to look like actual fighting to me.
i know the actors arent martial artists, but i'd rather they get people with the background who would make the fights look more realistic. that'd make the movies much more iteresting to me.
and by "realistic" i dont mean they shouldnt use wires...that is fine, i actually have problems with the individual slashes, swipes and evades themselves. as in, the basic elements of the fighting looks fake to me...and eveyrthing else falls apart from there. and since the fighting isnt enjoyable to me, the whole movie falls apart, cause the acting and the story is just pure trash.

nitewulf

HAOHMARU said:
What is Stereo Future about?

Has anybody else seen any of the Zatoichi, Lady Snowblood, Lone Wolf and Cub series? I can't be the only one... >_<

yeah i have seen zatoichi and lady snowblood and about 15 minutes of the first lone wolf and cub movie.
zatoichi = fantastic
lady snowblood = ok, admirable, has actual depth...the combat could have been better.
lone wolf and cub = i saw "shogun assassin", well about 15 minutes of it anyway, just couldnt get into it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom