• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldurs Gate 3, but with real-time combat.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
You have Jack Frost avatar and turn based games are too slow? What about SMT/Persona?
I said "some" games broski.

JRPG is fine most of the time because it's quick and snappy. CRPG and strategy games that are turn based are much more slower than those, imo.

I remember playing Silent Storm many years ago and between the npc allies and enemies turns I could almost fall asleep until it was my turn again.
Also have played a bit of the D:OS games and those felt kinda slow to me too.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
still turn based though.
The Daily Show Wow GIF by The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

RTWP is just way too chaotic for my liking. No issue it being there as an option, but the game was designed with turn based combat in mind and just works so much better.

This would be a fucking nightmare in coop too.

finalflame

I'd actually play BG3 is this was a competent mod. Fuck turn-based bore-fest games.

With that said -- BG3 is so fundamentally designed around turn-based combat I really doubt this can work. I'd kill for something on the scale of BG3 but real-time, though. My biggest gripe with D4 is just how fucking boring and repetitive the areas and how mundane and inconsequential the story content is.

Last edited:

Thabass

I would give this a try, but well after I beat the normal game first the way it was meant to be played. Still, this intrigues me, and I would love to try it someday.

Real time would dumb down all the strategic aspects, it's not right for this game.

Make a new baldur game dark alliance instead, you cowards.

rtwp works just fine in Owlcat’s games, even with the insane complexity of the Pathfinder ruleset.
I love Owlcat for including both options, I dunno why Larian couldn’t, especially with their bigger budget. Even more egregious considering the series already had two games with rtwp. BG3 was good, and I enjoyed it thoroughly, but it just wasn’t the BG3 I was looking for.

As for Dark Alliance…..they already tried that recently and it was complete ass. Even the Companions of the Hall couldn’t save it, the core systems for loot and combat were awful.
I’d love for a competent dev with a decent budget to try and tackle it.

As for Dark Alliance…..they already tried that recently and it was complete ass. Even the Companions of the Hall couldn’t save it, the core systems for loot and combat were awful.
I’d love for a competent dev with a decent budget to try and tackle it.
He’s not talking about that recent DA game. You’re right that game was ass.

He is talking about the two that originally released on PS2. One of them has this cover:

mqdefault.jpg

It’s a cool concept and impressive they are getting it to work, but I really like turn based games. Part of the reason I skipped FF16 was that they turned it into a character action game. Not everything needs to be real time action.

Outlier

Amazing. Pathfinger: WOTR does they, but not quite the same.

This looks chaotic (but fun) and I imagine it would require a lot of balancing.

Edit: Lol "PathfinDer" I meant.

Last edited:

Outlier

Real time would dumb down all the strategic aspects, it's not right for this game.

Make a new baldur game dark alliance instead, you cowards.

It COULD work if they implemented a FF12 style AI system, where you customize how ai behaves in certain scenarios.

This Mod isn't balanced (too fast) enough to work for having more than one playable character to make the import critical actions.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It COULD work if they implemented a FF12 style AI system, where you customize how ai behaves in certain scenarios.

This Mod isn't balanced (too fast) enough to work for having more than one playable character to make the import critical actions.
I don't think it could work, the amount of wacky shit you can come up in combat is way, way higher than ff12, i don't think you can program the ia with all the possible variables and expect to be any good.

Also, the game make a large use of separating the team to place them in strategic places before the fight even start, that would go out of the window with a real time system i think, but this would be probably the easiest thing to fix (really not sure).

Yeah, i just don't see it without dumbing down the combat to mostly hack and slash, some fireball in the mix and maybe some easy to do interaction like throwing thunders on water or shit like that, and if you slow it down, is it really real time anymore?

Anything more elaborate than that would be highly impractical with enemies constantly moving etc.

Last edited:
A mod's a mod, variety is always welcome.

That said, I won't be playing this and I think it would be too much work to make it fun. Might have some merit as a 'what if' for turnbased mechanics or for a challenge run setting

I think the biggest bummer for BG3 is that it is wrapped up. Unless I missed something, Larian doesn’t plan any dlc or follow ups, so no high level content.
One of the best parts of any good D&D campaign are the higher levels and the insane spells/abilities you get. Taking a lowly level one character in BG1 all the way up to a level 20+ god through the end of BG2 was a super fun experience.

ntropy

I think the biggest bummer for BG3 is that it is wrapped up. Unless I missed something, Larian doesn’t plan any dlc or follow ups, so no high level content.
One of the best parts of any good D&D campaign are the higher levels and the insane spells/abilities you get. Taking a lowly level one character in BG1 all the way up to a level 20+ god through the end of BG2 was a super fun experience.
i turned on attack roll logging in bg1 and the amount of misses was so painful lol.
people think dark souls is hard, try BG1 with no guide or manual

Amazing. Pathfinger: WOTR does they, but not quite the same.

This looks chaotic (but fun) and I imagine it would require a lot of balancing.

Edit: Lol "PathfinDer" I meant.

Why did you add an edit and not actually edit the mistake? wtf

Anyway, yes, if they can make it as similar as Pathfinder, then I see no reason for people not to use it nor will the game lose its tactical advantage. Dragon Age Origins was real time with pause and worked perfectly fine and so does Pathfinder.

Top Bottom