• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai: Gundam goes UMD

acklame

http://psp.ign.com/articles/560/560952p1.html

Gundam Goes UMD
Bandai to take the plunge with SCE's new format.

October 27, 2004 - Immediately following our posting of this story in which we lament the lack of announcements regarding UMD-based movie content for the PSP, Bandai comes in and silences us. The anime and big robot giant became the first UMD supporter today with the announcement of movie content for the format.

Tentatively titled "Kidou Senshi Gundam for PSP," this first in a new UMD-only "Disk Series" of titles will bring Bandai's ubiquitous franchise to the UMD format. The UMD will include part of the original 1979 cartoon series, although Bandai has yet to reveal the number of episodes. In addition to this, Bandai has announced that the disk will feature artwork, bonus materials, staff interviews and a dictionary of Gundam terminology.
While these bonus materials sound a bit like the features found in today's DVDs, Bandai apparently plans to take things further. As the Disk Series continues, it hopes to make it so that viewers can look through bonus material as they watch the video footage. This alone would take the UMD a ways beyond what current DVD players can do.

This early UMD content will be released to Japan in Spring of 2005.

acklame

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/27/news_6111581.html

Bandai to release Gundam movies on UMD
In addition to its PSP game lineup, the multimedia company will release Mobile Suit Gundam movies on Sony's proprietary portable media disc.

TOKYO--Bandai announced today that it plans to release a lineup of movies in the Universal Media Disc (UMD) format, for use on the Sony PSP. The first title, in the Mobile Suit Gundam series, will be released in Japan in the spring.

The line of UMD movie discs, which Bandai calls the "New Concept Movie Disc Series," will include not only video, but also rough draft sketches, scripts, and producer interviews.

Aside from the movie discs, Bandai is developing the following eight games for the PSP, two of which will be released in December:

December-Release Titles:
Eiyuu Densetsu Gagharv Trilogy: Shiroki Majo (RPG)
Lumines ("Sound and Light Action Puzzle")

Titles With no Specified Release Period:
Soukyuu no Fafner (Action)
Patlabor [working title] ("Mini Patrol")
Mobile Suit Gundam [working title]
Dragon Ball Z [working title]
Naruto [working title]
One Piece [working title]

Huzzah! Finally something is announced I'm interested in. As long as this doesn't stay in Japan and costs a hefty penny per disc... I'm hyped.

mr2mike

Banned
"Bandai apparently plans to take things further. As the Disk Series continues, it hopes to make it so that viewers can look through bonus material as they watch the video footage. This alone would take the UMD a ways beyond what current DVD players can do."

Doh! I can't beleive I never thought of such a badass idea!

I was never a fan of the idea of buying movies on UMD instead of DVD, but this is a pretty cool concept.

Of course UMD for just bonus material is kinda lame, but idea of having a UMD playback running a kind of 'Picture in Picture of something going on infront of you" is full of possibilities. Depending on how big the market becomes, you could end up with stuff ranging from cooking UMDs to sporting event UMDs, Map UMDs to find your way, Paper strategy guides for games on your TV could be replaced by UMD guides on your PSP...

the possibilities are endless!

xsarien

daedsiluap
mr2mike said:
I was never a fan of the idea of buying movies on UMD instead of DVD, but this is a pretty cool concept.

Unless they're significantly cheaper than DVDs, there is no point to it, especially given that the PSP has no video out.

mr2mike

Banned
but all my elaboration up there depends on the content being plyed back on the PSP while you do something else, something wich is complemented by the content on the UMD.

Dead

well not really...yet
ferricide said:
a minipato game? that could be cool! the actual minipato shorts kind of suck, but...
They were ...allright...but yeah id be intersted in a game, hell any kind of patlabor game and color me curious

mr2mike said:
Of course UMD for just bonus material is kinda lame, but idea of having a UMD playback running a kind of 'Picture in Picture of something going on infront of you" is full of possibilities.

PSP = NUON!!

Zaptruder

Banned
Dammit. Here I was thinking it was going to be a SD Generation Gundam game.

i love those games.

I downloaded the 3 original Gundam movies... not a bad story... although dammit, the animation and stifled script really makes it difficult to watch.

Do people have such short attention spans that they can't even focus on watching an anime and look at the special features to pass the time? Gundam may start a little slow, but it's entertaining enough that you shouldn't need that unless they add commercials.

Top Bottom