• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banksy bugs me

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
In a world where we can find anyone or about anything in minutes, it’s baffling to me that still no one knows who the fuck this guy is, let alone never catches him in the middle of doing his work. He displays these paintings in large cities and we’re all supposed to just buy the fact that no one sees him? Not even some straggler at 3am wandering home? I just don’t get it. Dude has been doing this for decades and is still a fucking mystery. This just shouldn’t be possible nowadays.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
In a world where we can find anyone or about anything in minutes, it’s baffling to me that still no one knows who the fuck this guy is, let alone never catches him in the middle of doing his work. He displays these paintings in large cities and we’re all supposed to just buy the fact that no one sees him? Not even some straggler at 3am wandering home? I just don’t get it. Dude has been doing this for decades and is still a fucking mystery. This just shouldn’t be possible nowadays.

I mean that is the whole reason his stuff is famous, I have to imagine a lot of work just goes in to being able to do things quickly and anonymously.
Being famous and anonymous in this age is an artistic statement in its own right.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I mean that is the whole reason his stuff is famous, I have to imagine a lot of work just goes in to being able to do things quickly and anonymously.
Being famous and anonymous in this age is an artistic statement in its own right.

Well yeah no shit lol I’m just saying I think it’s nuts that no one knows who these people are in 2024 let alone caught anyone in the act.

Tams

Came across one of the new ones on Tuesday, just after it went up. Only one guy was paying it any attention and I was more interested in making the signal than looking closer.

They've framed the bloody thing now.

DKehoe

So Banksy is Tricky 😲

I always knew he was tricksy
giphy.webp

Mr Hyde

There is a documentary where the filmmaker tries to unveil Banksys identity doing investigation into his whereabouts and where/ when new paintings come to light. There were intense rumors that Robert Del Naja from Massive Attack was Banksy, but it was debunked by Del Naja himself. As said above, Banksy is a collective of artists that all perform under the name, and all of them are very good at not revealing the secret behind it all.

Fbh

Gold Member
Idk, none of his (or probably their) art is of such high detail that he is going to be a very long time at the location, nor does it have such a unique style that the average person can instantly recognize it as a Banksy with just a glance.

If you are, as you say, a straggler wandering home at 3 am and you see some people in hoodies painting on a wall, are you going to walk up to them and ask for their ID?

diffusionx

Gold Member
There is a documentary where the filmmaker tries to unveil Banksys identity doing investigation into his whereabouts and where/ when new paintings come to light. There were intense rumors that Robert Del Naja from Massive Attack was Banksy, but it was debunked by Del Naja himself. As said above, Banksy is a collective of artists that all perform under the name, and all of them are very good at not revealing the secret behind it all.
“Are you Banksy?”
“no.”
“Well that settles it”

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
What bugs me more is that Banksy always stays within the bounds of the politically correct. Not subversive, but just a tad edgy so as to get attention out of some rich people and the bloodless vampiric establishment.
Whatever gave you that idea? :pie_thinking:

M1yjmf0.jpeg

Last edited:
what bugs me about the arsehole is that he is committing a crime everytime he does one of his two bit pieces. If I did what he did I would get arrested and charged with vandalism but nope not wanksy his stuff is not vandalism or graffiti it is "ART"

Mr Hyde

“Are you Banksy?”
“no.”
“Well that settles it”

The documentary goes into detail about Del Naja being in the same location as when a Banksy painting happened to pop up. It showed date and time and lots of other things about Del Najas whereabouts that seemed to be more than just mere coincidences. The rumors became even stronger considering Del Naja has a background as a graffiti artist, coming up from Bristol's underground scene, and that Banksy revealed his first name in an interview from the early 2000 saying his full name is "Robert Banks". Del Naja went public and denied all of this because the rumors were so intense and everybody wanted to know, showing receipts contradicting the documentary's evidence. Of course nobody believed him, but his denying eventually led to new rumors about Banksy being a collective of artists, of which Del Naja is a member of. I personally believe he's one of the OG creators of Banksy and then left it off to others to run it.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
I haven't seen the doc but it's crazy that alot of this happens around London. Doesn't that city have an insane amount of cameras?

Mr Hyde

I haven't seen the doc but it's crazy that alot of this happens around London. Doesn't that city have an insane amount of cameras?

Never been to London but it probably has tons of cameras. Not gonna do much though as Banksy always has a mask and hoodie on when he paints.

Mr Hyde

This is a Clip from Exit through the gift shop, a documentary directed by Banksy, that further fueled the rumors about Banksy being Del Naja. It uses music from Massive Attack and Robert is in the documentary talking.

Here is a short clip with theories of why Robert is Banksy.

Sucks I can't find the documentary I was talking about. It was really compelling and presented a lot of great insight about who Banksy could be. It was well researched.

What I find interesting is that he is not monetizing the work in anyway. It’s crazy that this stuff is so highly valued but as far as I know he is not getting any payout or real world recognition.

Maybe he runs this site?
No, sounds like a manager/proxy for banksy runs this https://pestcontroloffice.com/faq.asp, and they authenticate the stuff on the site you linked.

I think it is funny. Especially when they shredded that painting after an auction.
Which was just such a perfect microcosm for the entire faux edgy pop garbage schtick they have going on

Ohhh so guerilla bad ass they shredded the art that a super rich person just paid a ton of money for that will show them!

*destroyed painting re-sells for over 10x what the person paid for it pre-shredding*

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It’s me.

I’m Banksy.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Which was just such a perfect microcosm for the entire faux edgy pop garbage schtick they have going on

Ohhh so guerilla bad ass they shredded the art that a super rich person just paid a ton of money for that will show them!

*destroyed painting re-sells for over 10x what the person paid for it pre-shredding*
Shredder broke. It became a statement piece. 😂

Shredder broke. It became a statement piece. 😂
Wait did it really break? Lol, I always assumed it was supposed to only shred half way.

Either way, even if it did shred the whole thing it still wouldn't have actually destroyed the painting, what's left would still be extremely valuable. If they wanted to make a statement they would have done something that actually ruined the painting to the point where nobody could actually display it anymore, but that would take balls and they dont want to actually make statements, just pop garbage.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member

His work is fun. It's nothing revolutionary or anything, but it's still very clever.
He or She? Uses the areas fixtures as part of the artwork. I can dig it, but... I digress. He's still defacing property, it's just, sometimes, if I were the owners, I'd leave it, lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I doubt the guy does it in the open. He probably puts up fake construction stuff so he's covered in places he can do that.

He has a pic in downtown Toronto on Esplanade behind a restaurant in a sketchy back alley kind of corridor. But it's near the sidewalk. All he has to do is put up a screen with a construction pylon and nobody would know or care.

I dont even remember any of his pics, but I do remember he has an old school artistic style, like he grew up skilled in pencil drawings as a start.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Banksy is either a group of people and not 1 person (my personal opinion)

Or everyone high up on the chain like police and government knows who he is but the dude is fucking rich and an icon and if they ever did tell the public who it is they'd never have a pieceful life and the random art would stop.

MayauMiao

Probably not that many care enough about his identity except for those "modern" art aficionados.

I only heard about Banksy because of the news about some failed attempt at shredding an artwork.

Top Bottom