• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bard's Tale review in OPM

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
snagged this from the MGS3 thread:
Riskbreaker said:
------------------------------
Some notable reviews (scores based on a 5-scale):
Star Wars Battlefront: 4.5
Bard's Tale: 4.5
Mega Man X: Command Mission: 3.5
SHin Megami Tensei: Nocturne: 4.5
Sly 2: 5
Katamari Damacy: 4.5
Gungrave Overdose: 3.5
TMNT 2: Battle Nexus: 1
Monster Hunter: 4
Shadow Hearts 2: 4
Guilty Gear Isuka: 4
NBA Live 2005: 4
Time Crisis: Crisis Zone: 3.5
Fifa Soccer 2005: 5
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone: 3.5
Robotech Invasions: 3
WOOOOOOOOO :D :D :D :D :D

Somebody post the main snippets from the review, I won't be able to buy the mag up here until next week at the earliest.

Teddman

The new Bard's Tale is supposed to have a really sharp sense of humor throughout the adventure too. Have to keep an eye on that one.

As someone who doesn't like RPGs, I have to admit, there's something very appealing about this game. I'm glad to hear that it got such a high mark.

jedimike

One of my most anticipated games of the year... I'm really suprised by the lack of hype for the game here on GAF. Especially after other non-traditional RPG's have been so well received (Fable, KotOR)

Alex

Never played the original(s), haven't heard anything about it, comes way too close to Nocturne apparently. That's enough to not register for me personally. :p

PS: ....Since when is KotOR non-traditional?

Xellos

I'm looking forward to this game, but I've never played or even seen the old Bard's Tale game. I just saw the magazine ad for the new one and liked that somebody was doing a comedy RPG.

Alex

"1. It doesn't feature a character with spikey blue hair.

2. It's not made by Square or Enix or combination there of.

3. Open-ended, 100% voice acting, interesting and meaningful missions

just my opininon..."

Is there some rare disorder preventing people from playing any non-Square, non-traditional jRPG's, and completing wiping their mind of the entire history of Western RPG development upon the release of Xbox?

Eventually, I'm just going to start mailing people bombs in the boxes of Valkyrie Profile and Baldur's Gate 2, it'll hurt, but it'll be an explosion of GOODNESS.

Well, not really. But it's the THOUGHT THAT COUNTS.

I'm just shitting with you really, but the whole "only Xbox is home to unique RPG's!" train of thought needs to die.

PS: Buy this: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne: 4.5

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gamespot has a new hands-on of the PS2 version of Bard's Tale that they posted yesterday:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/thebardstale/preview_6109072.html

Aside from its combat and summoned enemies, it's The Bard's Tale's sense of style that seems most memorable. Designer Fargo has already stated that the purpose of the game is to deliver a deep but fun role-playing game with "as much personality as possible," especially when it comes to satirizing tired old RPG conventions. You'll see this when the bard triumphantly raises his sword aloft after killing a tiny cellar rat and receiving accolades from the narrator, shortly before getting roasted by the "real" rat in the basement. You'll also see this when the bard uncovers another RPG convention--that of generic monsters dropping fabulous piles of loot from out of nowhere. The bard kills a nondescript wolf in the forest that drops a new sword, a new bow, and a whole pile of gold pieces and furniture, and narrator Tony Jay actually has to stop himself to see if he read that right--no, that wolf really did drop several piles of gold and various household items. The game has a slightly dark and gothic look, different from the brighter colors of Champions of Norrath or Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Its musical score, which makes liberal use of the bagpipe, and its spirited voice acting and humor seem to recall some of the best movies that parody high fantasy, like The Princess Bride, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

New trailer, too.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I used to play Bard's Tale 1/2 on the old family Apple IIgs. I was like 10 or so at the time and I constantly got my ass kicked.

Assuming this game turns out solid, I'll certainly give it a run through sometime early next year when the releases die down. The humor appeals greatly to me.

bishoptl said:
snagged this from the MGS3 thread:

WOOOOOOOOO :D :D :D :D :D

Somebody post the main snippets from the review, I won't be able to buy the mag up here until next week at the earliest.

Here you go:

* "It's a very competent action-RPG. The first few hours are a bit harder than you'd expect, but things really start to get interesting once you hit the hour four on the game clock. From that point on, you start to learn new magical tunes that summon creatures to help you, and your abilities improve to a point that you can wade through the enmies more efficiently."

* "What sets the Bard's Tale apart, though is its sense of humor. Unlike a distressing number of games these days, especially those in the Role-playing genre, TBT's primary purpose is to entertain you, and it does this in a variety of very effective ways."

Cool. After Fargo's done with this, I hope he buys the Wasteland rights back (from EA) and redoes that...but as a party-based RPG, like it should be.

saw the developer commentary a while back - seems like they're trying to subvert the DIablo genre with humour and slyness - all the better. Not sure how Bard's Tale it is though. I always thought Bards tale with running around that city and getting blocked off by terror statues. Great game though

... didn't think it was heading out on the PS2 though :D

Rhindle

Once again, I don't understand how this is getting released with Acclaim in bankruptcy. Is the developer (inXile) going to self-publish it? Do they even have the licenses to do so?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Rhindle said:
Once again, I don't understand how this is getting released with Acclaim in bankruptcy.

Vivendi's the US publisher, Acclaim was the European publisher.

Vashu

D2M15 said:
Vivendi's the US publisher, Acclaim was the European publisher.

Meh, so we will have to wait longer.... Until someone picks up this great game to be released on our shores.... :(

Top Bottom