• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bargain sense... tingling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
This is starting to get silly.

The local WH Smiths has just done its annual audit, and is clearing out piles of unwanted stock at ridiculous prices. They've got four bins of stuff, and as it sells they restock it from the back room. Every time I go in there (about three times a day) they have different books, CDs, DVDs...

Today's haul so far (after two trips):

Robert Rankin - The Fandom of the Operator
Mike Conroy - 500 Great Comicbook Heroes
Terry Pratchett & Stephen Briggs - The New Discworld Companion (2 copies)
Bill Bryson - A Walk in the Woods (hardback)
John Irving - The Hotel New Hampshire
Peter F Hamilton - The Reality Dysfunction

Total cost: £8.19 (less than the retail price of most of the individual books)

Yesterday's haul included a double album of guitar rock (The Best Air Guitar Album In The World III), a 3-CD live Led Zepellin set and the latest from Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at £3 each, and Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle, which I'd been considering buying for the £9.99 cover price, but ended up getting for 50p.

I dread to think how much I'll have spent by the time they finish clearing out, but it's nice to think about how much I'll have saved.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm

*wonders if this is strictly local, or a national WHS occurance*

I'd better go and take a look.

BTW: The Nights Dawn == AWESOME series, if somewhat weighty. (Literally)
Was enough to make me buy ALL of Peter Hamiltons work.

Freeburn.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
I believe it's just a local thing, although apparently all Smiths stores do it from time to time. Having such a small store seems to be a good thing in this case, because they still have to maintain a decent amount of up-to-date stock, but obviously they sell less of it, so there's more lurking in the back for me to pick up. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom