• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are the best types of sniper kills since bf2.

PW9epKQ.gif

BAD ASS.

What programs did you use to capture and create that gif? The slo mo was sweet!

The SKS has single-handedly restored my faith in DMRs. It's fantastic. Perfect mix of range and CQB. I'm happy now. The first two DMRs are shite.

Even with the ironsights it's deadly. Looking forward to unlocking the red dot.

Acinixys

Its ridiculous how much better the Coyote RDS is compared to the stock RDS. Its like night and day. I hate that its locked in a weapon battle-pack, seeing as its so useful.

I have it for my M416 but need it for my AK-5C

Sethos

Banned
The SKS has single-handedly restored my faith in DMRs. It's fantastic. Perfect mix of range and CQB. I'm happy now. The first two DMRs are shite.

Even with the ironsights it's deadly. Looking forward to unlocking the red dot.

The Mk11 is amazing, just need to use it right.

Grief.exe

Its ridiculous how much better the Coyote RDS is compared to the stock RDS. Its like night and day. I hate that its locked in a weapon battle-pack, seeing as its so useful.

I have it for my M416 but need it for my AK-5C

I finally unlocked it for the AEK

iEoZCAaCJvove.gif

The worst part is when they have both the coyote and the kobra locked behind a battlepack.

If you use the gun enough, then its not too difficult to unlock all of the battlepacks. Takes less than 500 kills.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ya, I have a lot of gameplay recorded right now.

Only five minutes though... surely you have a better way of capping 45-min rounds like normal, yeah?

Nah, even in BF3 the SKS shat all over the MK11.

Though I think the RFB is being slept on a little. It's a little situational but it's a good gun.

I'm not one for anecdotal, internet evidence, but since forwarding that port yesterday morning I think I've crashed only once - which might have just been the server.

It's too unwieldy at close range I find! It's definitely half decent and I used it for a good 60 kills, but the SKS is just so much easier to dominate with. Averaging 15 kills per game with it, which is about what I was getting with the SCAR.

TheSeks

That feeling when you keep spawning within enemy vehicle range.

Solution: Stop spawning. Double so if they're in your base. They'll eventually leave if they don't have anyone to kill.

TheSeks

Nobody is using the ingame voip :(

To be fair: Audio is bugged right now. And I don't think a lot of people know VOICE has been fixed since BF3 since they all advertise teamspeaks.

Bombless

Turns out my stuttering problem was gfx driver related. Installed the latest Nvidia ones and it went away. Weird it only started happening last night. Anyway, so happy! Back to fragging!

Sethos

Banned
I was playing a good match, when I kept hearing voices to my left. I was like, the hell? Then VoIP is apparently being output through my secondary monitor, a TV o_O

Secondly, game fucking minimizes when someone writes you an Origin message -.-

Spl1nter

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
When are they going to allow friends to join a game together? Whenever I get invited to a match it usually says no free commander slots. I'm on PS3.

one of them

Neo Member
Ah christ, so I bought this game and spent 3 days downloading it on a shitty downstream connection. I also updated my drivers and stuff in anticipation. Then I go into Nvidia GeForce and click Optimize Settings and it sets almost everything to Low.

Is the 560 Ti really that outdated now? Or is Nvidia just making me feel bad for having a Pre-600 series card? Fuck that shit. I'm setting textures and stuff to High and everything else to Medium or Low.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to play 4 rounds there of TDM without a hitch :) What really surprised me is how good TDM is in BF4. Never really liked in BF3 but it's brilliant here, and not a single killstreak in sight! What really stood out to me after playing Ghosts and BF4 very shortly after each other is how atmospheric BF4 is in its gameplay, levels and most importantly sound design. COD has sounded outdated for years but I was taken aback by how much. Doesn't mean I'll enjoy Ghosts any less but the difference was quite striking.

RoKKeR

Damn, been waiting a while to finally post in this thread! Being banned while my most anticipated game launched was certainly a bummer. Nonetheless, here are my mega impressions...

*Based on the 360 version. I know. Don’t patronize me.

Being at school and away from home, (and my PC) I told myself I was going to wait it out until the next gen version of the game released so I wouldn’t have to suffer through the awfulness that would surely be current gen Battlefield 4. But being the BF fan that I am there was, of course, no way that I could miss the launch of a Battlefield game. I picked it up for 360 the week of release and am certainly not suffering. In fact I’m having more fun with BF4 than I have since BC2 on consoles. Putting aside the spotty but better-than-BF3 netcode and the occasional hard locks, I’ve been really enjoying it so far.

So, why all the love coming off BF3 which was generally horrible on consoles? I’m not quite sure to be honest, but everything in BF4 feels refined and overall much more solid than it was in BF4. Weapons feel better to shoot, the maps flow better, customization is (mostly) properly balanced, everything simply comes together better than it has in the past. DICE made a good decision in giving every starting class and vehicle a basic set of customization options so newcomers weren’t left out to dry in terms of base loadouts. I still wish they would at least start you out with a sight/basic accessories for each gun. Thankfully each class now starts with gadgets, though keeping the med box for a late class unlock for the assault class was a poor decision.

The UI on consoles at least is drastically improved over BF3. The spawn in screen is great, seeing a feed of your spawn point before you jump in is nice, vehicle spawning is handled much better (no jet spawn rape thank you) and everything is tightened up. Even viewing a weapon’s stats or customizing your soldier is easier and looks better than it did in the past, which is a step in the right direction for UI from DICE. This also leads me to Battlelog integration, which I am THRILLED with. Battlelog clearly was something that DICE needed to test run, and they clearly learned a lot from BF3. Battlelog is implemented much, much better than BF4 and I have a blast using it. Having my laptop open next to me, finishing a game and then instantly seeing the entire stat report from that game is a thing of beauty and honestly feels a bit ‘next-gen’ to me. (if you want to call it that) Even though it’s been done before, there is something about how fast the game communicates with Battlelog that makes the entire experience much more enjoyable. Opening Battlepacks, customizing loadouts, and on PC and next-gen at least, having the Battlescreen running all make playing BF4 that much more engaging. On consoles, being able to use a proper desktop server browser to join a server and having that instantly appear on screen is a thing of fucking beauty.

I recall a discussion some pages back about stats and how there is too much of a focus on that in a BF game. While I agree to some extent, the fact that you can track almost everything you have done in the game right from Battlelog I think is a really great feature that more games should offer, even if they aren’t heavily stat oriented. It also helps that Battlelog has better and faster as it has evolved. DICE nailed it with Battlelog this time around and I can’t wait to have Battlescreen loaded up for each game once next gen rolls around.

Final thing I’ll mention for now is the maps. Much improved over BF3 but there are still some throaways. Hard for me to comment on 64p Conquest versions but overall I feel that the map design is smarter this time around. The levels of destruction are fantastic, and seeing tank shells rip apart buildings on Golmud Railway brings Bad Company 2 memories rushing back. On both a micro and macro scale DICE held mostly true to their promise of improved destruction and it paid off. As far as ‘Levolution’ goes, ehh. Cool the first time you see it but it really doesn’t do all that much to the map. I will say though that the storm in Paracel Storm is fucking immense. So cool to be out on the water when it rolls in and the firefights become that much more intense and crazy. Lancang Damn is just not very good, Operation Locker induces the rage of Great Oden’s Raven in me and Dawnbreaker is generally shit for everything other than Obliteration. Everything else is pretty solid and provides fun, varied gameplay. And simply in general, I’m finding myself not getting pissed off from pure bullshit kills like I did in BF3, but rather from stupid mistakes I make.

Oh, and one last thing... Obliteration is FANTASTIC. Damn good gamemode, perhaps my favorite next to Conquest. Even on big maps the action feels focused, chaotic, and all the while team play is absolutely crucial in winning, more so than Conquest or Rush. I remember Sethos saying “I wish the days when I could singlehandedly turn the tide of battle” and thinking that simply doesn’t apply in Obliteration. One well calculated jeep or jetski run to detonate a bomb can cause a huge swing in momentum for your team. I haven’t been this invested in a game mode since Ranked Team Slayer in Halo 3, because pulling off a thrilling, epic win just feels so damn good. Much shouting has happened when planting a clutch final bomb against all odds. It’s a really well designed game mode that works beautifully in Battlefield. (might consider putting a 30min time cap on it though)

Overall I’m very pleased with BF4, more so than I thought I would be, and this is all based on my current gen impressions. Thankfully next gen is only a few weeks away bringing 64 players, 60fps and dat resolution with it. Very much looking forward to it. Hoping that the server and crashing issues are ironed out soon because underneath all of that BF4 is an improvement over BF3 in almost every respect, and it will keep me entertained for many hours to come. At the end of the day does it really do much different than BF3? No, not at all, and it can be certainly criticized because it doesn’t do anything new. However, it is a stepping stone for bringing BF into the next gen and I think DICE has done a fairly good job.

Favorite weapon so far is the M416. Favorite map is tough to call...Paracel and Golmud are pretty solid.

/tl;dr The game is all around very solid on consoles, much better than BF3. Looking forward to the next gen version.

smr00

Banned
So glad i bought the PC version today.

I had my doubts but i have played 3 games with no problems. Although i did try to play some single player and it locked up and crashed like 2 minutes in which was a bummer. I think i got maybe 2 kills out of the 3 games i played but i ain't even mad because i am having a goddamn blast.

So I park my LAV bang in the middle of the Hainan hotel lobby. Not at all exposed to the outside and with 15 floors above me. Get killed by a cruise missile. What...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom