• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So good. Much improved from BF3, at least in terms on feel and look. Maps are better in general as well. Shout outs to gaf west, can't wait to get back on

The stock maps are definitely better but the shooting takes some adjusting.

I would agree that it's definitely good and fun BF even if I would want some slightly bigger or more outdoors type maps and less urban stuff.

Certainly nailed it compared to say, CoD Ghosts which is a joke compared to this.

Stantron

That's why I said I didn't play as good as on 360 of course. It's no mystery to me that the mouse is more accurate. I just can't be bothered at all to try and get better with mouse and keyboard at this moment. I like the mouse, but the keyboard is just a mess to deal with compared to the controller. Since I'll be switching over to the PS4 as my main platform for BF4 when next-gen comes around I'm better off just playing the game on a gamepad for practice.

Regarding overall skill I'd say there isn't that big of a difference between platforms. PC has its fair share of idiots and so does console. You'll find plenty of wookies sitting in a corner of a map on a hill in all versions of the game.

I posted a while back about my controller/mouse hybrid. You keep the precision aim of a mouse while also having the luxury of moving with an analog stick. Works quite well for me.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87602644&postcount=1267

IMACOMPUTA

So the GAF Chicago server was stacked to hell and back. At least half of the enemy team were all members of some clan (they all had the same icon), which of course caused people on our team to leave and create unbalanced teams. Then just to add insult to injury when they won 660 tickets to our 0 they all just had to type "GG SOOO CLOSE."
Yeah that sucked. Not sure what's going on. Autobalance is enabled. We'll work out the kinks!

Preemo

Banned
Damn, been waiting a while to finally post in this thread! Being banned while my most anticipated game launched was certainly a bummer. Nonetheless, here are my mega impressions...

*Based on the 360 version. I know. Don’t patronize me.

Being at school and away from home, (and my PC) I told myself I was going to wait it out until the next gen version of the game released so I wouldn’t have to suffer through the awfulness that would surely be current gen Battlefield 4. But being the BF fan that I am there was, of course, no way that I could miss the launch of a Battlefield game. I picked it up for 360 the week of release and am certainly not suffering. In fact I’m having more fun with BF4 than I have since BC2 on consoles. Putting aside the spotty but better-than-BF3 netcode and the occasional hard locks, I’ve been really enjoying it so far.

So, why all the love coming off BF3 which was generally horrible on consoles? I’m not quite sure to be honest, but everything in BF4 feels refined and overall much more solid than it was in BF4. Weapons feel better to shoot, the maps flow better, customization is (mostly) properly balanced, everything simply comes together better than it has in the past. DICE made a good decision in giving every starting class and vehicle a basic set of customization options so newcomers weren’t left out to dry in terms of base loadouts. I still wish they would at least start you out with a sight/basic accessories for each gun. Thankfully each class now starts with gadgets, though keeping the med box for a late class unlock for the assault class was a poor decision.

The UI on consoles at least is drastically improved over BF3. The spawn in screen is great, seeing a feed of your spawn point before you jump in is nice, vehicle spawning is handled much better (no jet spawn rape thank you) and everything is tightened up. Even viewing a weapon’s stats or customizing your soldier is easier and looks better than it did in the past, which is a step in the right direction for UI from DICE. This also leads me to Battlelog integration, which I am THRILLED with. Battlelog clearly was something that DICE needed to test run, and they clearly learned a lot from BF3. Battlelog is implemented much, much better than BF4 and I have a blast using it. Having my laptop open next to me, finishing a game and then instantly seeing the entire stat report from that game is a thing of beauty and honestly feels a bit ‘next-gen’ to me. (if you want to call it that) Even though it’s been done before, there is something about how fast the game communicates with Battlelog that makes the entire experience much more enjoyable. Opening Battlepacks, customizing loadouts, and on PC and next-gen at least, having the Battlescreen running all make playing BF4 that much more engaging. On consoles, being able to use a proper desktop server browser to join a server and having that instantly appear on screen is a thing of fucking beauty.

I recall a discussion some pages back about stats and how there is too much of a focus on that in a BF game. While I agree to some extent, the fact that you can track almost everything you have done in the game right from Battlelog I think is a really great feature that more games should offer, even if they aren’t heavily stat oriented. It also helps that Battlelog has better and faster as it has evolved. DICE nailed it with Battlelog this time around and I can’t wait to have Battlescreen loaded up for each game once next gen rolls around.

Final thing I’ll mention for now is the maps. Much improved over BF3 but there are still some throaways. Hard for me to comment on 64p Conquest versions but overall I feel that the map design is smarter this time around. The levels of destruction are fantastic, and seeing tank shells rip apart buildings on Golmud Railway brings Bad Company 2 memories rushing back. On both a micro and macro scale DICE held mostly true to their promise of improved destruction and it paid off. As far as ‘Levolution’ goes, ehh. Cool the first time you see it but it really doesn’t do all that much to the map. I will say though that the storm in Paracel Storm is fucking immense. So cool to be out on the water when it rolls in and the firefights become that much more intense and crazy. Lancang Damn is just not very good, Operation Locker induces the rage of Great Oden’s Raven in me and Dawnbreaker is generally shit for everything other than Obliteration. Everything else is pretty solid and provides fun, varied gameplay. And simply in general, I’m finding myself not getting pissed off from pure bullshit kills like I did in BF3, but rather from stupid mistakes I make.

Oh, and one last thing... Obliteration is FANTASTIC. Damn good gamemode, perhaps my favorite next to Conquest. Even on big maps the action feels focused, chaotic, and all the while team play is absolutely crucial in winning, more so than Conquest or Rush. I remember Sethos saying “I wish the days when I could singlehandedly turn the tide of battle” and thinking that simply doesn’t apply in Obliteration. One well calculated jeep or jetski run to detonate a bomb can cause a huge swing in momentum for your team. I haven’t been this invested in a game mode since Ranked Team Slayer in Halo 3, because pulling off a thrilling, epic win just feels so damn good. Much shouting has happened when planting a clutch final bomb against all odds. It’s a really well designed game mode that works beautifully in Battlefield. (might consider putting a 30min time cap on it though)

Overall I’m very pleased with BF4, more so than I thought I would be, and this is all based on my current gen impressions. Thankfully next gen is only a few weeks away bringing 64 players, 60fps and dat resolution with it. Very much looking forward to it. Hoping that the server and crashing issues are ironed out soon because underneath all of that BF4 is an improvement over BF3 in almost every respect, and it will keep me entertained for many hours to come. At the end of the day does it really do much different than BF3? No, not at all, and it can be certainly criticized because it doesn’t do anything new. However, it is a stepping stone for bringing BF into the next gen and I think DICE has done a fairly good job.

Favorite weapon so far is the M416. Favorite map is tough to call...Paracel and Golmud are pretty solid.

/tl;dr The game is all around very solid on consoles, much better than BF3. Looking forward to the next gen version.

so what position do you have at DICE?

Xyber

60fps_by_xyberly-d6tbukt.gif

Everything went according to the plan, apart from the bit where my driver jumped off a bit too early so the ATV road killed our other squad member. :p

Pandemic

Does anyone know why when I try to play the campaign that it's very slow.. The frame rate drops drastically..?

My specs are..
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard

I tried ultra, then reduced to high, then reduced to medium, yet the game still struggles.

RoKKeR

Everything went according to the plan, apart from the bit where my driver jumped off a bit too early so the ATV road killed our other squad member. :p

Clean gif. Looking forward to ditching the sub 30 w/massive drops framerate on consoles.

so what position do you have at DICE?

image.php

Does anyone know why when I try to play the campaign that it's very slow.. The frame rate drops drastically..?

My specs are..
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard

I tried ultra, then reduced to high, then reduced to medium, yet the game still struggles.
I don't have an answer for you but I have a very similar rig at home (770 4GB, i5 2500k) and my brother is reporting problems like yours. The framerate despite the graphical settings just isn't very solid apparently. Disappointing. Hopefully Nvidia can iron out some extra FPS in future drivers.

Pandemic

Clean gif. Looking forward to ditching the sub 30 w/massive drops framerate on consoles.

image.php

I don't have an answer for you but I have a very similar rig at home (770 4GB, i5 2500k) and my brother is reporting problems like yours. The framerate despite the graphical settings just isn't very solid apparently. Disappointing. Hopefully Nvidia can iron out some extra FPS in future drivers.

Welp.. There goes my $60..

Makoto

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/310/7/8/60fps_by_xyberly-d6tbukt.gif[IMG]

Everything went according to the plan, apart from the bit where my driver jumped off a bit too early so the ATV road killed our other squad member. :P[/QUOTE]
Smooth gif, smooth Battlefield moment.

I like it.

Pandemic

I'd ask around in the performance thread or "need a new PC thread", there might be some things you can do to make things better. Being away from my PC I can't exactly look into it myself.

Not a problem, cheers mate for the response, appreciate it.

The Master Plan

Neo Member
Gotta say this game is pretty amazing overall. Thanks Dice for giving support carbines and the ultimate 400m kill troll launcher. 42/10 would buy again.

Grief.exe

So I have this game...

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/398321973075592128/248058606/

and I get just a +4 skill. I have no idea how that thing works...

I'm loving the NA GAF server. Haven't crashed a single time *knocks*

Still haven't had the chance to run with a full GAF only squard though. Add me folks...same as gaf name.

It also depends on the skill of the enemies you kill. So if you are killing a bunch of enemies with a low skill rating, your net gain won't be as large.

Kahoona

It also depends on the skill of the enemies you kill. So if you are killing a bunch of enemies with a low skill rating, your net gain won't be as large.

You also lose skill based on the skill of the enemies that kill you. 15 deaths is kind of a lot...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, this is weird.

This happens in NO other game, and I dont have a dead pixel.

When I play Battlefield 4, in the top left corner area, I have one black dot, it happens on all colours when I move around levels.
It goes when I exit and only appears when I play the game.

I have no idea whats caused it, but its only during BF4.

I cant Print Screen it, but no other game, video, picture etc will reproduce the effect.

I've highlighted it in the red box in the image below.

Anyone else got any ideas about this?

I've got it too. Noticed it a few days ago. It seems to be bound to the HUD in some way. Try jumping up and down and you'll see it moves with the momentum of your jump. That and UI.drawinterface 0, which disables the HUD, gets rid of it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Getting blasted by Punkbuster errors since the server update. WTF. I haven't played a single BF game that didn't have Punkbuster issues. Manually updated it, still getting kicked.

PunkBuster kicked player 'KevNGrizz' (for 0 minutes) ... RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkBstrA.exe

That's weird. I can't even find the service running...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've got it too. Noticed it a few days ago. It seems to be bound to the HUD in some way. Try jumping up and down and you'll see it moves with the momentum of your jump. That and UI.drawinterface 0, which disables the HUD, gets rid of it.

If you zoom in on the pixel you'll see dinosaurs.

Does this game save progress during the match? I assume not, but worth the question. Was having the best match of conquest yet, and I get kicked from Live and then the game. Atleast it didn't freeze again, that's always a lovely time.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
That feeling when you get a double headshot kill from 400m with a sniper, and then realize your Shadowplay isn't working so you can't capture a video of it :(

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
So good. Much improved from BF3, at least in terms on feel and look. Maps are better in general as well. Shout outs to gaf west, can't wait to get back on

If I haven't already tell me your BLog name and I'll add you to priority queue.

So I have this game...

and I get just a +4 skill. I have no idea how that thing works...

I'm loving the NA GAF server. Haven't crashed a single time *knocks*

Still haven't had the chance to run with a full GAF only squard though. Add me folks...same as gaf name.

I am not actually in America so during the week I'm not around during primetime however the weekends you'll probably see me around.

Does this game save progress during the match? I assume not, but worth the question. Was having the best match of conquest yet, and I get kicked from Live and then the game. Atleast it didn't freeze again, that's always a lovely time.

On PC if you leave, quit or your game crashes your progress is saved and applied when the round ends. However if you join back it resets the stats gained from the start of the match. If the server crashes it's all lost and everyone rages.

That's why I said I didn't play as good as on 360 of course. It's no mystery to me that the mouse is more accurate. I just can't be bothered at all to try and get better with mouse and keyboard at this moment. I like the mouse, but the keyboard is just a mess to deal with compared to the controller. Since I'll be switching over to the PS4 as my main platform for BF4 when next-gen comes around I'm better off just playing the game on a gamepad for practice.

Regarding overall skill I'd say there isn't that big of a difference between platforms. PC has its fair share of idiots and so does console. You'll find plenty of wookies sitting in a corner of a map on a hill in all versions of the game.

Ever tried a half controller half mouse setup? Like a wii nunchuck?

There are game controllers like the Logitech g13 that is what I use that is perfect for it.

Ok seriously fuck this game. I was just playing (after 5 tries to connect to a server due to random crashs) for 30 minutes and i was spawn killed all the time. And every 2 minutes a hacker was banned from the server. Its a epidemic of aimbot users and no fun at all.

Sethos

Banned
Ok seriously fuck this game. I was just playing (after 5 tried to connect to a server due to random crashs) for 30 minutes and i was spawn killed all the time. And every 2 minutes a hacker was banned from the server. Its a epidemic of aimbot users and no fun at all.

Haven't seen a single cheater so far, not even a single player I'd call 'dodgy'

derFeef

I don't often say this, but I hope DICE is thinking of some form of compensation for all the problems we have to go through.

Hellcrow

Learned the hard way that destroying the skyscraper in Siege of Shanghai crashes most players on the server. Atleast we won the game as most of the enemy team crashed.

Sinfamy

My God, this game is so good. I took down a helicopter with a grenade launcher, the pilot parachuted out, and I sniped him as he was falling. I wish this was done on the PS4 where there was a share button :c

Facism

guys i need some help. I'm not sure my bf4 is running as x64 despite using the .exe and setting the launch options to x64. Everytime i change something in the console it shows as "win32" and the game just crashed and specified the x86 executable. Ram usage never goes over 2.5gig either.

Does this game need to be installed in the other programs folder in windows 7 or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom