• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finished the campaign. It wasn't as awful as some of you make it out to be. That said the story is a barely there mess and
choosing Hannah or Irish to go blow themselves up
is kinda a shitty ending. It's pretty short on Hard as well.

But the MAJOR difference from BF3 is less random "that's bullshit" deaths for breaking the scripting. I only had one of those and it was a "Oh I'm too far ahead of the squad" moment in the Hurricane/Typhoon level. Once I noticed that, I went too far ahead again, and mowed the motherfuckers that spawned down.

I remember someone saying "but it isn't a sandbox!" Bullshit, you can attack vehicles and enemies from anywhere and do whatever you want in those levels. It isn't as wide-open as Bad Company 1's campaign, but it isn't as linear as Battlefield 3's. I liked it for what it is, but feel it's too short even on Hard.

I don't like the weapons being tied to it for multiplayer though. Dogtags can stay in to find that way (though I wish there was more left dogtags instead of a bunch of right side dogtags. DICE flipped it this outing... :/) but weapons shouldn't be hidden from people that don't want to play the singleplayer.

That said I do hope they tweak it to feel more like the multiplayer. Kit items being used with the weapons and +100's and all that is a good first step, but I want to be able to heal my squad, resupply them, repair their vehicles (get in touch with Bungie on driver AI maybe... if Halo Reach's was actually good. Halo 2-3 was kinda terrible) instead of me driving most everywhere that isn't scripted and it'd be a good "training wheel" for multiplayer.

...Or, just make offline matches with bots on the mulitplayer like Battlefield 1942/2/2142/Vietnam/Modern Combat already did, DICE. :p

HelloMeow

it couldve been 2 quick shots from him, or a stray grenade / bullet damaged you and this guy finished you off

It was just him and me. He probably hit me twice, with at least one headshot, but that should be none of my concern. There should be at least 0.16 seconds, or twelve frames, between two shots from that weapon.

on an unrelated note, being 2nd in the world for stealth jet kills on PC feels like a hollow victory considering how truly awful they are, christ the F-35 is awful.

Oh yes. I tried getting some decent kills with the 30mm canon. I refuse to use AA missiles. In three games I got about 15 kills in total. Somehow, I got 4-5 infantry kills.

But the attack jets.. I can relatively easily get 30+ kills in one round with one of those. I have yet to see DICE say or do anything about the unfinished and unbalanced state the jets are in.

Bread

Banned
Commander mode is pretty fun, it sucks not seeing the action up close but they give you enough responsibility to make it worth it. Nothing better than calling in a cruise missile and killing 4 or 5 people along with blowing up their heli.

Rudelord

Oh yes. I tried getting some decent kills with the 30mm canon. I refuse to use AA missiles. In three games I got about 15 kills in total. Somehow, I got 4-5 infantry kills.

But the attack jets.. I can relatively easily get 30+ kills in one round with one of those. I have yet to see DICE say or do anything about the unfinished and unbalanced state the jets are in.

I switched back to the 25MM since the lower RPM of the 30mm can be bothersome with the terrible netcode right now

That and I can't see the tracers as well

ShogunX

Really disappointed in both this and COD so far. Both games have serious balance issues, both are lacking features that have been present in previous games and both games are easily bettered by entries about 5 years old.

For me Bad Company is still the king when it comes to console BF games.

Heysoos

I unlocked TV Missiles. Can't hit shit. Slightest adjustment = me being a sitting duck for a long time. Mean while, there's an enemy boat sniping us perfectly with tv missiles. I don't know how people do this so accurately.

Grief.exe

AEK + Muzzle Break + Angled Grip is my favorite gun in the game. Just so dandy at close/mid range.

wJ2ORxb.png

BBboy20

Really disappointed in both this and COD so far. Both games have serious balance issues, both are lacking features that have been present in previous games and both games are easily bettered by entries about 5 years old.

At this point, may as well give up on the sequels getting it right the first time. I honestly didn't think I would play a game as disappointing as MW2 until I played enough of BF3 to get the same realization.

Haven't really played for a couple days, sounds like I am avoiding some Punkbuster shenanigans. Getting the urge to play tonight though, I'm scared.

S0N0S

Sigh, just had a great squad across 3/4 games. Then the server crashes on Lancan Damn. How is this still happening? :(

Bor

Neo Member

for me this has the potential to be the bestof the new battlefield games. never got into bc2 too much but really enjoyed bf3 alot, im playing on pc tho

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I unlocked TV Missiles. Can't hit shit. Slightest adjustment = me being a sitting duck for a long time. Mean while, there's an enemy boat sniping us perfectly with tv missiles. I don't know how people do this so accurately.

Yeah, I can't hit shit with them either.

ShogunX

for me this has the potential to be the bestof the new battlefield games. never got into bc2 too much but really enjoyed bf3 alot, im playing on pc tho

Things like not being able to party up with friends or edit load outs before going in to a match (can do it on battlelog) are just stupid.

Same kind of stuff on Ghosts. Want to edit your clan? organise members? edit your clan tag? switch classes in game?

Download the app.

Is anyone playing this on current gen? I wanted to get this on the PS4 or Xbone but tbh I've gotten pretty turned off on picking up a next gen console this year after all the mudslinging and irritating qualities the consoles have. BF4 looks pretty good, but I'm more excited for the 64 players than anything on next gen, it's practically the only thing I think that feels like something "next gen".

That being said I still don't really feel up to jumping into the new consoles yet lol. I played the beta and damn so parts of the game were fugly. The gameplay was decent still but yeah, you could tell this thing was shoved into current consoles with a stomping boot. I LOVED BF3 for what it was worth on the 360. I know that didn't have 64 players either but I felt it worked fairly well outside of the really huge maps on Conquest obviously. I'm thinking of picking this up at the Black Friday GS sale. So just how neutered is BF4 on current gen? Is it improved from the beta? Hows the population/server numbers? Are there nothing but Operation Locker servers or are there actually players that stick around on Conquest on big maps? Anything else that screams "SO MUCH BETTAH THAN BF3!"? In any case, does the game seem easier for late comers? I think back to it, and I got BF3 about 3 months after release and I stuck through a pretty harsh beatdown as I unlocked stuff for vehicles and weapons. Hopefully if I have to wait for next gen it won't be so bad to be behind the curve.

Pennybags

My framerate is fine but I get odd stuttering/hitching on certain maps more than others. I've unparked my cores, and did the DX trick already. It's driving me insane to alleviate it.

Right now my best options are commander mode and gunning for vehicles.

on an unrelated note, being 2nd in the world for stealth jet kills on PC feels like a hollow victory considering how truly awful they are, christ the F-35 is awful.

Probably pretty obvious, but you the same Rudelord from PS2?

Bombless

So far, of all the shotguns up to the Spas (not included, just unlocked it and it still lacks goodies), the best remains the 870 MCS. Brutal firepower and okay refire rate. Doesn't leave much room for error however. 2nd place is a tie between M1014 and Hawk, the first shoots faster and holds more shells but is single shell loaded, the latter has more damage and is magazine fed (reloads faster).

I prioritised unlocking shotguns rather than their equipment and haven't played around with the different ammo types. Definitely have to after I finish unlocking them all. The Symthic page for shotties still isn't complete :(

Corsick

I think I'm about to crack and buy BF, but I was curious, how much do you think a brand new game like it might be discounted on Black Friday? Just to humor me I guess....or convince me to wait and spend my money more prudently :).

Also a quick performance question, how well should a stock 3570k, 660 (slight factory OC) and 16 gigs of mediocre DD3 run BF 4? I'm guessing 45-60 fps depending on what's happening with everything on high @ 1080p? Technically the game has had its issues obviously, so I'm curious.

CatPee

Man, Rush is so, sooo good. Not quite godlike status like the good old Valparaiso days, but it's far better of an offering than BF3.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Anyone have / had problems where your FPS drops to a crawl in out of bounds? It runs perfectly fine, but as soon as I go out of bounds I can't even do anything it's so bad.

Macattk15

I can't understand these fucking crashes.

I crash out of almost every single fucking match I'm in.

It really is bullshit. I've deleted and reinstalled twice so far.

BBboy20

No mods, no bots, no LAN(?), no absolute player/map scaling, no absolute host control, free-to-play unlock systems, betas at the last minute, client-side netcode...all this will keep BF away from it's fullest potential.

From people describe 1942 and BF2, despite their glitches and crashes, from a philosophical and design standpoint, BF seemed to have seen better days. From someone who started with Bad Company, those two games, despite being spin-offs, were fully cooked and succeed in what they were for then BF3 ever could despite the patches and DL and the 7 years of experience DICE inserted (and mismanaged) into the title.

Heysoos

Tried my first Rush match.

DICE...

What the fuck are you doing man?

This is terrible. Attackers are so horribly fucked, Defenders are fucking able to Mortar our god damn spawn area. What the shit. They should have left Rush out if they were going to do this.

Pandemic

I'm still struggling to figure out why my framerate drops to something like 10.. Any ideas why?

My specs are,
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard

And everything is up to date. I tried ultra settings, high and medium yet nothing works.

Nor can I find the performance thread to ask in there so I've gotta keep asking here.

Cheers.

How come some people have emblems on their guns and on their vehicles? How do I get that?

Man... I must be the only player who doesn't give a shit. I just wanna play.

(that sounded mean. nothing wrong with it. I'm just really not that interested in personalizing my attack boat)

DICE...

I haven't really been into Rush since BC2. A lot of that game's best rush maps were rush ONLY maps... and they were a lot better for it. It's amazing how linear some of them were but still managed to give you a lot of options. Of course some were also just crazy meat grinders.... but only 32 players helped.

TheSeks

Replaying the campaign to get the last two weapon unlocks for multiplayer: I now see what you guys mean by the refugees
at the end level there's only two on the ship you see after like 300,000 or so were there after the second level that was stated to be there. WTF?

Tabby

So I was playing 64 player Obliteration on Flood Zone.
The game has been going on for well over an hour, both teams down to 1 bomb site left and I wanted to game to be over.

The enemy team bring the bomb to our bomb site we defuse no problem, hele comes in and we get the bomb to their B site.
Our entire team was there at their site, but who else should get the bomb but the one guy that decides to not plant, he was there just running around the bomb with the entire team on chat shouting at him to plant.
This goes on for 5 minutes, eventually the enemy team comes in, takes the bomb and we lose the game.

I just.
Ugh.
Anger.

DICE...

This is terrible. Attackers are so horribly fucked, Defenders are fucking able to Mortar our god damn spawn area. What the shit. They should have left Rush out if they were going to do this.

I'd have to agree with most of this. Its like attackers are always fighting uphill against the sun, like it's some twisted fucking joke. I like the idea of this mode, but the balancing is a little maddening.

TheSeks

Does the MAV destroy it this outing or something? I have it unlocked but haven't really messed with it or the T-UGS since I'm working on the last unlocks for the other three classes
while waiting for DICE to fix disconnects and crash to desktops
to really try it out.

I'm thinking of buying this from the US for PS4, but I will be using an EU account (the reason I'm not waiting for EU version is that I actually live in Japan and it is much easier and cheaper for me to get the US version). Assuming I use the EU account to play online, am I unable to get Premium/ DLC? Would I have to create a new US account? I realise this might not be answerable until PS4 launches but I assume it is the same on PS3 so someone might have an idea. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom