• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT| Prepare to Leave Beta... Nevermind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constant disconnects...crashes, and now I just got a driver error for the first time in maybe ever. I'm fucking done with this until everything is ironed out. I'm baffled how the beta was so great and this so far, is so not.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
XM25 Smoke's ... smoke... isn't that good. It's actually pretty underwhelming. I thought it was going to be the Support's M320 Smoke to help Assaults and Smoke Grenade Recon/Engineers out in Rush but it's basically a fart. :/

Yeah, it's horrible.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Now that I'm getting some solid time in servers to learn maps and remember how to play fps games (been basically nothing but DOTA for half a year), this is really starting to feel good. I'm learning how to survive on the ground a lot better. I have always been an infantry dude in BF.

RS4-

The skill rating is eh, but that feeling when you go from nearly 400 down to 290s because of just all around bad spawning and disconnects lol :(

maneil99

Why would you think the versions that will have the lowest sales numbers and the lowest user base would have the most attention?

The early release really helped them on PC. Ghosts has barely cracked 30,000 concurrent while BOII was over 70,000 during launch week. I tend to believe that PC players are generally better consumers than their console counter parts though.

Eh there is 2 stat tracking sites. One states that Ghosts is higher then BO2 ( 37,000 vs 31,000 ) other ( The one you list ) states otherwise. Either way Ghosts will be the superior game once they fix the performance. The game is awesome, and visually a treat. While it might not go toe to toe with BF4 I find the Lighting to be easily the best I have ever seen at times when combined with Nvidia's HBAO.

I don't get how the field upgrades work, I've unlocked the anti-tank one and it says at level 2 you get 7 rockets, but I only have 5.
Do I have to keep playing with anti-tank to unlock all the levels within that kit or what?

Everyone starts with the level 1 field upgrade active frm their chosen path (defensive, offensive, anti-tank, etc). As you get squad points, from obeying squad order objectives, healing, resupplying, kill assisting, repairing, etc your squad members, your field upgrade bar starts to fill, and you gradually unlock the higher tier bonuses. However, if your squad gets wiped, your squad drops down a field upgrade tier. Your commander can also spend command points to promote your squad one tier. All of this is temporary per round.

It was intended to encourage squad teamplay and squad leaders giving orders to move as a unit. It's also why it is so frustrating to have lone wolf squad leaders that never issue attack or defend orders; you not only miss out on free bonus points for doing what you are already doing, it's much harder to unlock your field upgrades.

HelloMeow

The skill rating is eh, but that feeling when you go from nearly 400 down to 290s because of just all around bad spawning and disconnects lol :(

Or when it goes down after a great round. I think spm and/or kpm have something to do with it. In BF3 it was purely about the skill level of the players who killed you and who you killed.
In BF4 it seems to be an arbitrary mix of variables, that really depend on the map and game type you're playing.

If you were to play domination, or conquest on locker all day, your skill would be about twice as much compared to what it would be when only playing conquest on large maps.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
is anyone else not really seeing performance improving after scaling back settings?

Yeah, the game is a bit weird. I'd like to see extensive benchmarking. The only things that really make a dent in performance for me are going from 2x MSAA to 4x MSAA and Ultra details. With my 770, I get ~90 FPS with 2x MSAA and High details. Framerate drops to 60-80 FPS with 4x MSAA and Ultra details. Nothing else really makes a dent (I suspect changing the resolution scale would make a big dent but I haven't played with that).

In typical DICE fashion, the really nerfed the shit out of the mortar. I'd agree that it needed some adjusting from BF3, but in it's current state the ammo regen is horribly slow. Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt a couple good mortars were essential to Rush, and right now attackers sure could use some help.

I suppose with the remote they now expect the Support player to switch between the mortar and LMG often.

In typical DICE fashion, the really nerfed the shit out of the mortar. I'd agree that it needed some adjusting from BF3, but in it's current state the ammo regen is horribly slow. Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt a couple good mortars were essential to Rush, and right now attackers sure could use some help.

I suppose with the remote they now expect the Support player to switch between the mortar and LMG often.

You can literally just drop them over and over if you use an ammo crate. That or just picking it up and putting it back down regens the ammo.

Heysoos

My W/L % keeps dropping like a truck. My KDR keeps being unsteady as hell. Games are either your team is dominating or you're being dominated. There doesn't seem to be much in between anymore.

Spl1nter

Getting more used to the tv missiles in the game. Probably hit about 6-7 tv missiles on helis in the round. Partially sucks that you need two to destroy but at least they reload so fast.

rJgJlzF.gif

My W/L % keeps dropping like a truck. My KDR keeps being unsteady as hell. Games are either your team is dominating or you're being dominated. There doesn't seem to be much in between anymore.

w/l doesnt mean shit in battlefield because one team tends to be stacked

Overdoziz

Banned
Obliteration on the west coast GAF server makes me sad. I'm really not a fan of objective gametype where people can just grab objectives, go into vehicles and drive across the map in 3 seconds. CTF was like that and Obliteration isn't much different. It especially sucks as infantry.

Woo-Fu

Banned
is anyone else not really seeing performance improving after scaling back settings?

That means the settings you're changing aren't having an impact on whatever the bottleneck is. Typically this points at CPU as the bottleneck when you change a bunch of mostly graphic settings and don't get a performance change.

Woo-Fu

Banned
In typical DICE fashion, the really nerfed the shit out of the mortar. I'd agree that it needed some adjusting from BF3, but in it's current state the ammo regen is horribly slow.

Step #1: Drop Mortar Tube.
Step #2: Run to cover a short distance away.
Step #3: Drop ammo box
Step #4: Use the remote mortar
Step #5-Infinity: Place a new mortar next to the old one instead of waiting for the first to replenish ammo.

The ammo crate will give you a new mortar faster than you place a new and fire all the ammo.

i dont really see the point of silencers in this game, since it's already more difficult to see enemies (did they scale back the spotting from bf3? seems like it) the bullet drop isn't worth it.

That means the settings you're changing aren't having an impact on whatever the bottleneck is. Typically this points at CPU as the bottleneck when you change a bunch of mostly graphic settings and don't get a performance change.

i doubt an i7-2600 is a bottleneck for bf4

Woo-Fu

Banned
i dont really see the point of silencers in this game, since it's already more difficult to see enemies (did they scale back the spotting from bf3? seems like it) the bullet drop isn't worth it.

i doubt an i7-2600 is a bottleneck for bf4

You can doubt all you want. If changing the graphic settings doesn't change performance you're clearly not bottlenecked by your videocard at your current resolution, OR none of the graphics settings do anything. Considering the things people are doing with hyperthreading and core parking to try to get this game running properly I wouldn't assume that BF4 is using your i7-2600 properly.

RS4-

I miss the good old days of BC2 mortars. Probably why I had so much time with the recon class as well, 3k+ kills combined with the rifles.

Then again, I was one of those players that abused the Sir Carl as well.

You can doubt all you want. If changing the graphic settings doesn't change performance you're clearly not bottlenecked by your videocard at your current resolution, OR none of the graphics settings do anything. Considering the things people are doing with hyperthreading and core parking to try to get this game running properly I wouldn't assume that BF4 is using your i7-2600 properly.

my gp u is a 570, it's the weak point in the system; what i'm saying is that i'm getting a relatively neglible boost in fps even if i slash things to medium

and your point is more about bf4 being an unoptimized piece of shit then my i7 being a bottleneck

Step #1: Drop Mortar Tube.
Step #2: Run to cover a short distance away.
Step #3: Drop ammo box
Step #4: Use the remote mortar
Step #5-Infinity: Place a new mortar next to the old one instead of waiting for the first to replenish ammo.

The ammo crate will give you a new mortar faster than you place a new and fire all the ammo.

That's a terrible workaround which I'm sure will get nerfed by DICE by putting ammo boxes on a 7 minute cooldown.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Silencer is pointless when COMMANDER IS ONLINE anyway. Infantry scan and you're done.

Might as well use Heavy Barrel.

Leb

So I just can't figure out these crashes. Sometimes it seems like it's on specific servers, sometimes it seems like it's on specific maps, sometimes I can play for 5 maps without a crash, and this afternoon, I'm crashing multiple times every single map. I just can't find any predictable pattern.

Xyber

Tonight the game is crashing way more than usual for me. 3 different servers and maps, my game crashed in all 3 before the round was over. :(

prophecy0

Has anyone on the PC had trouble with their single player progress syncing to battlelog? I've completed Kunlun Mountains twice now, and battlelog is still saying I haven't finished the mission.

Leb

Tonight the game is crashing way more than usual for me. 3 different servers and maps, my game crashed in all 3 before the round was over. :(

This is why I sometimes wonder whether the client crashes are being precipitated by problems on the servers/EA backend.

Battlelog is showing some odd behavior right now and I'm crashing way more than I usually do at the moment.

otapnam

This is why I sometimes wonder whether the client crashes are being precipitated by problems on the servers/EA backend.

Battlelog is showing some odd behavior right now and I'm crashing way more than I usually do at the moment.

all im doing is crashing, cant even get in :( wasting hours

Honestly... I think the crashes are 100% related to punkbuster.

I've been playing on a server without punkbuster today and haven't had a single crash in about 9 rounds , 64player conquest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom