• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[BBC News]Ian Livingstone applies to create 'gaming' free school

Gowans

34dobB4.jpg

Ian Livingstone is known to some as "father" of Tomb Raider Lara Croft

British games industry veteran Ian Livingstone has formally applied to launch a free school with lessons built using video gaming

Mr Livingstone told the BBC he wanted to use games-based learning rather than relying on "relentless testing".

"I'm passionate about children who have been born into the internet. I think they learn in a different way."

The school, which could open in 2016, would be based in Hammersmith, west London.

The application to the Department for Education, submitted this week, was backed by Mr Livingstone's several trustees including Barnaby Lenon, former headmaster at Harrow, and Marion Gibbs, head teacher at James Allen School for Girls in East Dulwich.

Also on the board is David Cramer, who owns international rights for the Rubik's Cube.

By bringing gaming elements into the learning process, Mr Livingstone argued, students would learn how to problem-solve rather than just how to pass exams.

Angry Birds

Mr Livingstone is best known for being the man behind huge franchises such as Tomb Raider and tabletop game Warhammer.

In the 80s, his Fighting Fantasy books brought an interactive element to reading that proved extremely popular.

Speaking to the BBC about the plans, Mr Livingstone said he wanted to bring those interactive principles to schooling, but stressed the school would provide learning across all core subjects.

"We're not trying to be radical in any sense," he said.

"Of course, you have to have a broad and balanced curriculum and make sure there's rigour in all subjects. But it's using a discipline like computer science to have hopefully a deeper understanding of the subjects that you're learning."

c4E2pIK.jpg

Mr Livingstone said he wanted to bring the principles of his interactive books to the classroom

He criticised other schools for relying on tests that he argued were more about assessing the school than the children in it.

"There needs to be a shift in the pedagogy of learning in classrooms because there's still an awful lot of testing and conformity instead of diversity.

"I'm not saying knowledge is bad - I'm just trying to get a bit more know-how into the curriculum."

He said he considers the trial-and-error nature of creating games as a key model for learning.

"For my mind, failure is just success work-in-progress. Look at any game studio and the way they iterate. Angry Birds was Rovio's 51st game.

"You're allowed to fail. Games-based learning allows you to fail in a safe environment."

School expansion

Free schools are a major part of the government's plan to find more school spaces around the country.

In London alone, 90,000 more spaces are said to be needed by 2016.

However, some oppose the growth of free schools, saying it makes it harder to launch state-funded community schools.

In response to the freeing up of land for nine more free schools in the capital, Bob Stapley from the National Union of Teachers said: "London certainly needs more school places, what we don't need is lots of free schools which are state-funded, independent schools.

"The crisis we've got is because the government is ideologically obsessed with free schools.

"Local authorities can no longer open community schools, they can't plan provision of school places and it is left to market forces.

"It simply isn't an effective way of providing education."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29550486

You mean a "free 'gaming' school". The title completely confused me. I thought he was somehow creating a school outlawing gaming, which didn't make any sense...On topic, it is a pretty cool idea. I'm curious what games will be used...

That's pretty smart. It's a segment of interactive learning, right?

History class is replaced with studying Romance of the Three Kingdoms games and living out the hell that is taking out Dong Zhou.

gngf123

You mean a "free 'gaming' school". The title completely confused me. I thought he was somehow creating a school outlawing gaming, which didn't make any sense...On topic, it is a pretty cool idea. I'm curious what games will be used...

"free schools" are a term used in the UK. They are more independent, instead of being controlled by a local authority and needing to stick to some syllabus that all the local schools are normally needed to stick to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_school_(England)

So in this case, a 'gaming' free school refers to a free school that uses gaming. It's not incorrect.

RedWolf

Neo Member
I think this would be an interesting experiment. I agree that something needs to change with our traditional education system. Standardized tests and simple memorization doesn't seem to be doing a whole lot.

Imagine a history class where you play Civ or some other strategic game. Or a WWI course where you play Valiant Hearts and discuss different topics and moments in the war. I think this could be incredibly interesting and interactive for future students.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have to see some examples of the games they'll use before I get on board with this idea. Learning about the French Revolution using the new Assassin's Creed is just a teenage boy's fantasy, and building a working conveyer belt in Minecraft just won't teach kids the life lessons needed to succeed.

slit

The title made it sound like the school was banning all video games. Kind of like Footloose only with gamepads. 0_O

Nzyme32

Thread title butchery almost demands you return to school.

Anyway, it's a great idea. Interactivity and keeping kids attention is absolutely integral as well as giving them the support help and feedback to keep them improving. The more fun schools can be, the more kids will want to learn and eventually yearn for regardless. Still, I'm not sure games are the perfect medium for some of things

wrowa

learn to English, OP

As already explained in this thread, a "free school" is a thing in the UK, so the OP hasn't really done anything wrong per se. It's just that everyone who's not from the UK won't understand the thread title. :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They released an example maths exam paper too

You finally arrive at the ferry. It has clearly not been used in some time and is very ramshackle. The wizened face of the ferryman looks you over with disinterest as you approach.

"The fare to cross is 2 silver pieces" says the ferryman. You reach into your pocket and pull out 1 gold piece and place it in the man's outstretched hand. It is dry and cracked from his years of hard work outdoors. The ferryman hands back 4 silver pieces as change and waves you onboard. You look at the coins in your hand.

- If the change is correct and you want to board the ferry, turn to page 2
- If the change is incorrect, turn to the page indicating how many silver pieces you should have received.
- If the change is incorrect and you want to draw your sword and attack the ferryman, please go and see the Principle to address your anger issues.

Bold One

As already explained in this thread, a "free school" is a thing in the UK, so the OP hasn't really done anything wrong per se. It's just that everyone who's not from the UK won't understand the thread title. :p

I am from the UK, I found the wording is miseading

Azure J

I would have done so much better at a school like this.

I sometimes wonder what it would be like if I were raised in this era where things like this could exist thanks to gaming becoming a more understood and commonplace activity versus ye olde days of stereotypes and dismissal as a pastime and nothing else.

samn

Now any millionaire with a wacky idea can get their own 'ideal' school built with government money.

Deft Beck

Thread title is misleading.

I like the concept. Gaming is a good way to instruct, if the underlying mechanics of the game are designed correctly. I am interested in seeing how this will turn out.

slit

Well they're weirdos so that doesn't surprise me. :D

Mupod

I would have done so much better at a school like this.

When I was a kid we had a lab of these networked together. All the games on them were educational in some way, and one of them called Mathrace was competitive and playable over LAN. It was pretty simple, solve math equations to move your guy across the screen faster than everyone else's. I forget how many could be in a race at once but some of those races in my class got pretty intense, and was probably the sole reason everyone got so good at multiplication.

I guess it'd be different nowadays but back then very few of us had PCs at home and it's not like we were carrying around phones with games on them all day. So computer class was awesome.

Duster

This makes me wonder what schools set up by other British games figures like Peter Molyneux, Jeff Minter or the GTA guys would be like.

Dr Dogg

Don't know if the thread title has been changed but it makes perfect sense to me.

For those of you not from the UK or are unaware a Free School is part of the Governments scheme to provide extra places under the Academy structure set up some time ago back in 2010-11. They are not under control of the various Local Education Authority's so don't exactly conform to the same curriculum that State Schools do but offer sometimes different or unique way to teach their pupils. This one that Ian Livingstone is proposing will using Gaming as a teaching apparatus.

This dude is one of the most important people in the UK games industry. He's like the UK's Richard Garfield. Best of luck to him.

Top Bottom