• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Foster as Lance Armstrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

Love me some Ben Foster.

aE4Saf8.jpg

Filming only began on October 18, and it doesn't yet have a title, but Stephen Frears' Lance Armstrong film - which we're going to go ahead and call Cycling Project for the moment, just as the studio does - has released a first image to show you what they're going for.

Unsurprisingly, they're focused on the man himself, with Ben Foster in costume and on his bike as Armstrong, the man who came back from cancer to win the Tour de France seven consecutive times, only to be stripped of those titles for his doping offences.

Chris O'Dowd plays Irish sports journalist David Walsh, who raised questions about Armstrong's performance long before the rest of the world began to follow suit. Jesse "Meth Damon" Plemons, of Friday Night Lights and Breaking Bad fame, and Guillaume Canet will also appear; if we were guessing (and we are), we'd speculate that Plemons will be one of Armstrong's US Postal Service teammates and Canet a French rival. But that's blatant national stereotyping as their roles remain to be confirmed.

John Hodge, best known for his work with Danny Boyle, wrote the screenplay, and shooting should continue for the next few months into the early spring.

If you need a fix of cycling scandal in the meantime, keep your eyes peeled for a documentary background to the affair in Alex Gibney's The Armstrong Lie, recently screened at the LFF and due out here on January 31.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=39128

Mononoke

Banned
interesting, wonder how they will portray him, fallen hero or hypocritical scummbag.

Maybe the latter. I don't see why Hollywood would owe him anything. If anything, a lot of people in the industry were betrayed by his lies (since they endorsed him, and worshipped him). Plus, throwing people under the bus is a great way to make money (and in this case, he deserves it).

JDSN

Banned
If playing this cunt gets Ben Foster the recognition he deserves then I hope this flick is a hit.

harSon

Banned
Didn't he play a Neo Nazi at some point? Or was that Gosling? Or both?

They both did. Ryan Gosling in The Believer, and Ben Foster in Alpha Dog. Ryan Gosling played a Jewish Neo Nazi, and Ben Foster's a Jewish actor who was portraying a Neo Nazi.

HiResDes

I'm so used to him playing neurotic antagonists that I don't know what to expect. I mostly love his work though.

P.S. One weird similarity between Gosling and Foster is that they've both been cast as Neo-Nazis.

I'm so used to him playing neurotic antagonists that I don't know what to expect. I mostly love his work though.

P.S. One weird similarity between Gosling and Foster is that they've both been cast as Neo-Nazis.

And Jesse Plemons is in this, who basically played one too.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I have no love for Armstrong, but if you are going to play him, you need to stop skipping leg day.

lolwut. cyclists don't have huge bodybuilder legs. size looks fine, although a real cyclist would probably be more cut at around that size.

Jobiensis

lolwut. cyclists don't have huge bodybuilder legs. size looks fine, although a real cyclist would probably be more cut at around that size.

lolwut, nobody said anything about body builders (although Greipel disagrees). He looks like a 30 something CPA that just got his first road bike on a Sunday ride to pick up some Twinkies. You see better tone at most local Cat 5 races.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom