• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben & Jerry's Now Offers a Spectacular Speculoos Cookie Core Ice Cream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Where is your god now?

ben-jerrys-cookie-core-flavors.0.0.jpg

Eater said:
Ben & Jerry's first released its core flavor concept stateside early last year. The flavors featured ice cream around a center tunnel of jam, caramel, or chocolate fudge. This week, the Vermont-based ice creamery releases three new flavors and they're every milk-and-cookie lovers' dream: Boom Chocolatta! Cookie Core, Peanut Buttah Cookie Core, and Spectacular Speculoos Cookie Core.

http://www.eater.com/2015/1/13/7538033/ben-jerrys-new-cookie-core-flavors

All of the Cores they sell in the UK have something that ruins them :(

And they never sold the Apple Pie one over here afaik :(

And they don't sell Chunky Monkey anymore :(

I'm moving to the US ¬¬

Guevara

I don't really like Core: too much goo, not enough ice cream. But I'll have to try this one.

Edit: this is Core

r-SPECULOOS-CORE-large570.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I read that as speculum. Why is there a brand of cookie which its name sounds so much like speculum?

Meh, American brands like Ben & Jerry's are pumped too full with fat and air. I guess your dulled American taste buds need all that fat to be able to feel anything.

I much prefer Italian-style ice cream.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Hope they'll be selling it in Belgium as we crave everything with speculaas...

You're goddamn right: it's called speculaas. Whoever came up with ... speculoos ... should be hung and quartered.

Gevulde speculaas ... hmmm ... I have no idea why they don't sell this throughout the year. So good!

You're goddamn right: it's called speculaas. Whoever came up with ... speculoos ... should be hung and quartered.

Gevulde speculaas ... hmmm ... I have no idea why they don't sell this throughout the year. So good!

Nope, they're two different things - speculaas is the Dutch variant, speculoos the Belgian one. The latter doesn't have the spices of the Dutch (just ginger, taste like caramel) hence 'speculoos' (=spiceless in Dutch).

pashmilla

Banned
Speculoos is orgasmic. Ben and Jerry's is also orgasmic. Can the human body withstand this much orgasmicosity? I need it now.

fancimus

The chocolate and the peanut butter flavors look best to me. My favorite of this core genre is still the raspberry flavor. It solves the great debate between having a chocolate-y desert or a fruity one.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Nope, they're two different things - speculaas is the Dutch variant, speculoos the Belgian one. The latter doesn't have the spices of the Dutch (just ginger, taste like caramel) hence 'speculoos' (=spiceless in Dutch).

Not true at all.

Sommige Belgische grootfabrikanten gebruiken weinig of geen speculaaskruiden, omdat deze in het Zuiden te duur waren voor een commercieel massaproduct. De hoofdingrediënten van hun koekjes zijn enkel tarwebloem (geen rogge in het mengsel), kandijstroop (van bietsuiker ) en − met wat geluk − kaneel. Deze niet-kruidige karamelkoekjes werden sinds enkele decennia de pseudo-traditionele, belgicistische term speculoos toegedicht, wat eigenlijk gewoon de Franse transcriptie van de Vlaamse uitspraak 'speculoas' is. Bij warme bakkers in Vlaanderen en Wallonië zal men rond de eindejaarsfeesten ( van Sint-Maarten tot Driekoningen) echter wel nog de authentiek traditionele speculaas vinden, met een aandeel roggemeel, ruwe rietsuiker, boter en kruiden.

So: speculoos is the cheap industrial made version of speculaas. It's called speculoos, because that's the French loan word. Real speculaas however is still made in Flanders, see for instance http://www.hasseltfeestspeculaas.be/

BTW It's typical that the watered down, cheapo version of speculaas (ie speculoos) is the variant that's become well known in the US ...

Anjelus_

Has anyone actually found these damn flavors? I've looked at my local Target/Ralph's/Walgreens/Whole Foods and they had nichts. How am I supposed to eat them if I can't find them???

Has anyone actually found these damn flavors? I've looked at my local Target/Ralph's/Walgreens/Whole Foods and they had nichts. How am I supposed to eat them if I can't find them???

They had them at Walmart today. I picked up the speculoos and it's incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom