• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berger, falling on the sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuramu

Berger removes classified docs from archive, then upon bringing them back, some are missing

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,126249,00.html

Berger and his lawyer said Monday night he knowingly removed the handwritten notes by placing them in his jacket, pants and socks, and also inadvertently took copies of actual classified documents in a leather portfolio.

"When I was informed by the Archives that there were documents missing, I immediately returned everything I had except for a few documents that I apparently had accidentally discarded."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/20/berger.probe/index.html

Former Clinton aide Lanny Davis challenged any unnamed official who accuses Berger of stuffing documents into his socks to come forward and level that charge publicly.

"I suggest that person is lying," he said. "And if that person has the guts, let's see who it is who made the comment that Sandy Berger stuffed something into his socks."

Kuramu

this is what i find concerning

"However, some drafts of a sensitive after-action report on the Clinton administration's handling of Al Qaeda terror threats during the December 1999 millennium celebration are still missing, officials and lawyers said. Officials said the missing documents also*identified America's terror vulnerabilities at airports to seaports"

3rdman

"Berger had ordered his counterterrorism adviser, Richard Clarke, in early 2000 to write the after-action report and has publicly spoken about how the review brought to the forefront the realization that Al Qaeda had reached America's shores and required more attention.

The missing documents involve two or three draft versions of the report as it was being refined by the Clinton administration. The Archives is believed to have copies of some of the missing documents."

In other words, DRAFTS of an already existing after-action report accidentally disappeared. The only thing it would show is the thought process behind the creation of the final draft. Although Berger is "under investigation," this is nowhere near as serious as FoxNews makes it out to be.

sandyburglar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom