• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Besides games, what else can the DS do?

Fatalah

Being that Nintendo is marketing the DS as a device for adults, what can we expect from it? A daily planner? An address book maybe? This X-mas the greatest battle for me is between the ipod and the DS. I really want an mp3 player, but the DS at 150 bucks really really looks like a nifty product.

Fatalah

Yeah but the DS with mp3 and planner applications does more than the iPod. CAN'T YOU SEE THE POSSIBILITIES! I CAN TASTE THEM!

snapty00

Banned
Should've stuck 32 megabytes of storage in there for MP3s, contact addresses, pictures drawn with PictoChat and other programs, etc.

Well I'm sure there are tons of companies planning all kinds of extensions of the DS, just like with the GBA. The makers of the SongPro GBA MP3 player are probably working on a DS version (even if the existing one ends up working fine with the DS).

GDGF

Soothsayer
Organizer Plus is one of the productivity titles already in development, and it surely wont be the last. Hell, Nintendo recently said (in the teleconference the day after their gorilla price announcement) that they were approaching various wireless companies for software development.

Speaking as someone who is sick of stuffing a pocket with a palm pilot and game boy every day (and constantly worried about the fragile $300 device) I would love for the DS to have an organizer. I don't need a full set of Palm features, but a contacts list, calendar, and note pad would add a tremendous amount of value to the DS for me.

If Organizer Plus or any similar software launches with the DS, I will probably just stick may palm pilot in a drawer. As for MP3s, I never bought the memory stick my Clie required to play MP3s, as I really only listen to music in the car. The only time I ever listened to music while stationary was while writing long papers, but I have been out of college for some time and I just use winamp if I ever do write anything at home. My job also requires me to use a phone too much to listen to music there.

Diomedeskun said:
Speaking as someone who is sick of stuffing a pocket with a palm pilot and game boy every day (and constantly worried about the fragile $300 device)...

Know what you mean. I had the cell phone, iPod, and SP rattling around down there for a while.

my pants were full of devices

I switched from slacks to cargo pants, pretty much for all the cargo. Didn't keep my first SP in a case, and it got smacked around pretty good. My newer SP is only out of a hard or soft case when I'm playing it.

Looking forward to the day when a true pocket PC\Cell phone that I can listen to music and game on is available. Wonder how the handheld console market will react to that.

Kon Tiki

Banned
gameboy_cropped400.jpg

Imagine tuning your car wuth TOUCHSCREEN!

SP_TV_TUNNER_200L5J2.JPG

With NintendoDS, you can watch TWO of your favorite shows at once!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I hope somone makes a web browser so I can refresh GAF at any place in the house without lugging a laptop around :p

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Wario64 said:
I hope somone makes a web browser so I can refresh GAF at any place in the house without lugging a laptop around :p
With WiFi built in someone will make something like that... lets just hope that someone doesn't suck total ass.

An AIM client would be the shit, but that is wishfull thinking.

Top Bottom