• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best ~40" TV for someone who doesn't care about 4K?

Jeeves

I'm looking at upgrading from an old 32" TV that I inherited from my grandma. The 40 inch range is what I'm looking for, and I don't intend on using it for anything beyond 1080p so I need it to either be a 4K TV that won't make 1080p or 720p look like ass, or just a native 1080p TV.

I'm looking for:
  • Low input lag
  • HDMI ARC support for a soundbar
  • I don't want the OS to show me ads or whatever (the less "smart" the TV is, the better)
  • Good viewing angles since I'm probably going to need to raise it a bit above seated eye level
  • At least two HDMI inputs, more would be even better
  • Component support would be nice because I still have my Wii hooked up
  • Price range is under $400 (anything good on sale?)
I've been out of the TV shopping game for a long time, last one I bought was a 42" Panasonic plasma which I honestly wish I still had. I don't know what the reputable brands are these days or anything. I plan to do my own research over the weekend but I figured it wouldn't hurt to tap you guys for some input on this too.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
last one I bought was a 42" Panasonic plasma which I honestly wish I still had.
Look on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace or eBay. You can probably find someone selling a 1080p plasma set for under $100.

Make sure to check for burn in when you inspect it.

Drake

The lockdowns really fucked TV production. Last year I got a 50 inch 4K TCL ROKU TV for $278. I love that TV. Look at TCL's though they are great cheap TV's.

Jeeves

Thanks guys. I like that RCA TV! My wife didn't though...think we've settled on a LG 43UN7000PUB for $250. It's a smart TV but if I just don't connect it to wifi it shouldn't bother me, right?

Top Bottom