• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best DVD Writer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miyuru

I don't care about price, I'm thinking about Plextor.

Just because, I'm SICK of CD writers crapping out on me for no real reason...

Bregor

Plextor is still considered to have the best drives, but at a price. You can find other excellent DVD writers for less.

Anandtech has had a lot of DVD writer reviews recently, including a review of Plextor's new 12x DVD writer, Sony's dual-layer DVD writer, and an 8x DVD writer round up:

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/index.html

border

You'd be stupid to buy anything but a Dual-Layer DVD burner, now that they are out.

AFAIK there's only two models available.....one is Sony, one is NEC. I haven't heard any reviews of them yet. Probably best to wait another few months, if you can.

border said:
You'd be stupid to buy anything but a Dual-Layer DVD burner, now that they are out.

AFAIK there's only two models available.....one is Sony, one is NEC. I haven't heard any reviews of them yet. Probably best to wait another few months, if you can.
nah... buy an 8x non-DL burner.. then get a DL when the media prices are reaonable...
you can get a good 8x for $100

border

How much is dual layer media right now?

Prices will probably be "reasonable" within a year. IMO there is no point in buying one DVD writer now, and then another in 12-18 months.

miyuru

Yeah, I'll check it out.

I hate living in Canada and dealing with shipping :p

EDIT: Crap, they won't ship to Canada! :(

border

If you look around they have a beige and a white version of the same burner, and it's cheaper than the black one that I linked.

Keep in mind that the drives are OEM though, and won't come with fancy packaging or free software. Just drivers and hardware.

border

Mmmm, looks like the media will be a bit expensive =\

I'll probably hold off buying one for right now, but only because I already have a single-layer burner, and I haven't heard much about how compatible the new +DL discs are with old players and PS2s and everything.

If you search on Pricewatch.com then you can find plenty of stores that are selling the same drive for just as cheap, and don't mind doing international shipping. Just make sure that you buy from someplace reputable.

miyuru

Right on.

DL burners can still burn on the cheaper, SL media right? Then why hold off on buying one? Just for cheaper prices in the future?

For me, I might as well buy it right now since I don't even have a DVD burner, and stick it to SL media until DL is cheaper and I actually need 9 gigs/disc!

border

Yes, the new models will burn all the old single layer discs as well.

The only reason to hold off might be because the dual layer burners will be faster next year. The Anandtech review says that the Sony model takes ~48 minutes to burn a dual layer disc. That's no big deal to me, though.

tenchir

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-020&depa=0

NEC 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model ND-2510A SW BGE, OEM

Model# ND-2510A SW BGE
Item # N82E16827152020

Specifications:
Write Speed: 2.4X Double Layer DVD+R9, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 8X DVD-R, 4X DVD-RW, 32X CD-R, 16X CD-RW
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM, 12X DVD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows XP/ 2000/ Me/ 98SE
Features: Vertical operation possible, Anti-dust seal, PC 2001 Certification, MultiRead compliant.
Packaging: OEM (W/ Roxio Software)

Price: $89.99

Personally, I don't really care about DVD-R/+R burning speed since I use only 1x/2x speed. Any speed higher than that will cause the disc to be harder to read in my Divx Player/XBOX/PS2/DVD Player. My brother bought a LiteON 8x, so I did the tests..... or it's just possible that LiteON can't burn 8x/4x speed for shit.

Ecrofirt

fucking awesome price on the NEC.

I've got another NEC model, and I'm in love with it. I'll probably hold off on getting a DL until NEC has a model with a higher DL burn speed. 2.4x is a bit slow for like 9 gigs of data.

Diablos

I'm a lite-on fanboy. Hell, I even use a lite-on keyboard (but it sucks). I suggest their burners though... they're great.

SKluck

Banned
Plextor->Lite-on->NEC->Pioneer.

IMO.

I own the NEC ND-2500A. The Price was right, $70. Plus I got a hacked firmware so I can burn most DVDs at double speed, dual layer, and a bunch of other goodies not quite so legal. It's basically a 2510 now. But that only works on about 60-70% of the 2500A's.

DL discs are still over $10 a pop though. Why get a shitty DL drive now that can only burn at like 2.4x DL, when by the time you actually buy any DL discs they will have cheap 8x DL drives?

tenchir

Technically, performance wise, the Lite-On is the worst drive. The only thing that Lite-On excel at is reading DVD/CD disc compare to other drives.

Plextor > NEC > Pioneer > LiteOn

tenchir said:
Technically, performance wise, the Lite-On is the worst drive. The only thing that Lite-On excel at is reading DVD/CD disc compare to other drives.

I have had LiteOn writer for over a year now and I haven't had a problem.

Diablos

tenchir said:

What you say? Lite-on is prolly the best when it comes to burning goofy disc types...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom