• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Game Boy Color games?

Now that DS is about to launch and compatibility with GBC is getting the shaft, it seems appropriate to start a thread like this. So, here's my list. (EDIT:I would prefer this topic to remain on the subject of games with color support. Games that had color support but were GB/GBpocket compatible are still fine.)

Zelda: OoA & OoS
Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Wario Land II
Wario Land 3
Tomb Raider 1 & 2
Shantae
Mickey's Racing Adventure (guilty pleasure)

Kon Tiki

Banned
Zelda: OoA & OoS
Metal Gear Solid/Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Zelda Link's Awaking DX

Those are the ONLY 4 GBC I have ever played. :(

Um, where's Donkey Kong? The O.G. of color games when it launched with the Super Gamebboy. The game holds up exceptionally well to this day.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Magical Tetris Challenge by Capcom!

XJ100001313.JPG

mtc-magical.gif

mtc-updown.gif

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pokemon RPGs (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
Dragon Warrior I & II
Dragon Warrior III (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
Zelda: Link's Awakening
Zelda: Oracle of Ages (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
Zelda: Orace of Seasons (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
Dragon Warrior Monsters
Dragon Warrior Monsters II
Metal Gear Solid (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
Warlocked
Harvest Moon GBC 3

Forgot:
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis

Crazymoogle said:
It irritates me to no end that Nintendo did not release the sequel here (and after showing it at E3, no less!) An amazing game.

And WTF, no Mario Golf mentions?!

I agree, and I was actually about mention Mario Golf, but totally lost track of this thread. Anywho, my GBC days weren't full of a lot of exciting games. But I'd have to go with Metal Gear Solid, Pokemon, and Mario Golf as my personal favorites.

0wn3d

Gameboy Color was Pokémon heaven. Pokémon Crystal remains the best Pokémon game in the series (Emerald *could* change that, but I wasn't too impressed with the Advance gen). Pokémon TCG was great too if you enjoyed the card game. Too bad the sequal featuring Team Rocket never came ashore. Pokemon Pinball was great too, and I saddened that no one mentioned Pokemon Puzzle Challenge yet!! Screw Magical Tetris.

Also, Link's Awakening DX was a nice treat for the LA fans, with the bonus dungeon at the end. I personally didn't like the Oracle Zelda's, but some people swear by them. Check those out... most people were into the Gameboy Advance when those came out.

Magi-Nation was a neat little game, but I don't think it got a wide release. It was kind of a western take on Pokemon, with magic, dungeons, and cards. Good game with funny dialogue and entertaining story. A Japan-only Gameboy Advance version came out a long time ago with a more "Japanese" main character.

Dragon Warrior I + II and Dragon Warrior III were excellent. The Monster series was okay too (can you tell I like the monster-genre games?)

Shantae. 'Nuff said.

Edit:

Wasn't there a Crystalis remake for GBC? Also, I remember liking Azure Heights...

Dragon Warrior III is the greatest GBC game.

Listen to him.

Dragon Warrior 1+2 is pretty good as well, but the first game is a helluva lot easier than the NES version. Actually, all 3 games were quite a bit more difficult (and better IMO) on the NES.

fallout

Father_Brain said:
Now that DS is about to launch and compatibility with GBC is getting the shaft, it seems appropriate to start a thread like this.
People aren't actually bitter about this are they?

Xtreme Sports, also by Wayforward makers of Shantae.

Your mileage may vary, but I found the pick up and play skating / luge / rollerblade mini games to be fun. Excellent color and animation as always.

Top Bottom