• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

best indie game??

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I choose number 1 dead cells castlevania dlc hades is the number 2 annnnnnnnnd then hollow Knight 3rd

deadcells1.gif

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Baldur’s Gate 3

lol

Didn't play the Castlevania DLC of dead cells but did just play dead cells outright. Can't argue too much with your top 3, they are all unreal games. I would have to include balatro though. Much more different than all those other games as it's not as much as gameplay intensive, but a truly amazing game.

Cuphead numero uno. Most publishers do not have such fidelity.
South Bronx Crying GIF by SB2

Baldo and the Guardian Owls is another high quality production.
ss_98306cfb5ea7cd1ede91cd889a01ee04ffc6eafc.1920x1080.jpg

There are other great ones, but they have too many shortcomings to be considered among the best.

P.S. Roguelikes and walking simulators are the worst...

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Didn't play the Castlevania DLC of dead cells but did just play dead cells outright. Can't argue too much with your top 3, they are all unreal games. I would have to include balatro though. Much more different than all those other games as it's not as much as gameplay intensive, but a truly amazing game.
genius

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

//DEVIL//

Actually. Good thing this thread exists. Because I would like to ask for a good side scroller 2 beat'em up game that can do combos and stuff.

Not sure how to explain it. think of like Street of Rage but with long combos or hits or whatever you wanna call it.

having a decent graphics is always a plus. not super fund of very very retro-looking games but I'll take it if it's actually good.

Would like to buy 1 or 2 of these games if they are actually good ( especially since when we are in the Steam summer sales, it has to be on Steam only too sadly) not planning to buy it on consoles.

what recommendations do you guys have?

Dynasty8

Cuphead numero uno. Most publishers do not have such fidelity.
South Bronx Crying GIF by SB2

Baldo and the Guardian Owls is another high quality production.
ss_98306cfb5ea7cd1ede91cd889a01ee04ffc6eafc.1920x1080.jpg

There are other great ones, but they have too many shortcomings to be considered among the best.

P.S. Roguelikes and walking simulators are the worst...

Was always interested in Baldo, but the reviews make it seem like it's one of the worst games ever lol.

Guilty_AI

Actually. Good thing this thread exists. Because I would like to ask for a good side scroller 2 beat'em up game that can do combos and stuff.

Not sure how to explain it. think of like Street of Rage but with long combos or hits or whatever you wanna call it.

having a decent graphics is always a plus. not super fund of very very retro-looking games but I'll take it if it's actually good.

Would like to buy 1 or 2 of these games if they are actually good ( especially since when we are in the Steam summer sales, it has to be on Steam only too sadly) not planning to buy it on consoles.

Well, there's the classic:

Or actual streets of rage:

Last edited:
Was always interested in Baldo, but the reviews make it seem like it's one of the worst games ever lol.
It is not but at the same time there are points where you will get stuck on a puzzle and have no idea how to solve it and not because of difficulty. It is a very cohesive package otherwise.

Dust: An Elysian Tail is a 2D hack 'n slash.
190.gif

The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors is more a weapon-based beat 'em up set in the future.
3.gif

P.S. Toxic Crusaders and Night Slashers Remake are also interesting ones soon to release with free demos.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Lots of games to pick from, but for me Hyper Light Drifter would be a good one. Good combat, exploration with lots of secrets, nice music and visuals... It has it all.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Bloodstained, does it count?

Then I'd say Ion Fury

Oh it's 3D Realm, but idk are they independent? Was a game though, for any Duke Nukes fan it's a must play.

Last edited:
Hollow Knight

The Talos Principle, I and II

Soma

These really made an impression on me. There are many more, but these are special.

intbal

The answer has to be Doom.

Self-published by an independent developer.
One of the most important and influential games of all time.

Zannegan

For the King is unique in a way that it probably couldn't be if it were a AAA project. It's also amazingly fun in local multiplayer. I have yet to get into the sequel, but I hope it comes to Switch 2.

Also, while it's not as good as Hollow Knight or Dead Cells, Chasm is a solid little Metroidvania with some procedural generation.

Holammer

Stardew Valley & Terraria. Highly rated in Steam's user reviews with Stardew as the third highest rated and Terraria the 8th. Big sellers that still draw several 10's of thousands of players daily.
Spelunky, Cave Story, Dead Cells, Hades, Hollow Knight, Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon & Yoku's Island Express are some praise worthy games.

Humdinger

I think Journey was probably the indie that made the most impact on me. I thought it was beautiful and good, in a way videogames rarely are. However, that was over 10 years ago. I'm not sure I'd feel the same now.

I enjoyed Oxenfree, Limbo, and, more recently, Stray a lot, too.

I need to give Outer Wilds a try one of these days. I keep seeing it mentioned. (edit: just picked it up on PS; it's on sale, $14).

Last edited:

asker

Noita, Outer Wilds, The Witness and Rain World all have their place among my favourite games ever. Turns out I enjoy exploration with very little hand holding.

Top Bottom