• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best multiplayer games on GC?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I've been thinking of getting a GameCube tournament organised at my university where a group of people can sit in the lecture theater with the game projected on a huge wall and 2-4 people playing the games with wavebirds. I need suggestions for some of the best multiplayer games on the GC... and not just the best multiplayer games for playing, but also for other pepole to watch.

So far I've got F-Zero GX, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Monkey Ball and Soul Caliber 2 as some of the obvious ones. Any other games I've forgotten?

Cathcart

Bomberman:Generation, Pac-Man Vs., and SEGA Soccer Slam come to mind. I guess you don't want the four-GBA type games with that setup, but FF:CC and Four Swords are pretty great, too.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Cathcart said:
I guess you don't want the four-GBA type games with that setup, but FF:CC and Four Swords are pretty great, too.
The game isn't exactly a pickup and play kinda game though. RPGs by nature require too much time to get into. The games have to be instantly entertaining. Arcade-ish types of games.

edit:
pilonv1 said:
Warioware.
don't think that's out in australia yet.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I'm not going to lie to you, the Gamecube doesn't have too many good multiplayer games. Sure, it has 4 controller ports, but who wants to play split-screen these days anyway?

Not to mention that there are only about 3 LAN games available on the Cube so far (MK:DD, Kirby's Air Ride, 1080 Snowboarding) and the most popular game of the three, Mario Kart, has horrible LAN play (or so I'm told, from people on this forum and others).

Other than that, Super Smash Brothers is the obvious choice, but that's about all I can think of.

AniHawk

Here's a good list to keep people busy for a while:

8 players:

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

4 players:

Super Monkey Ball
Super Monkey Ball 2
Super Smash Bros. Melee
F-Zero GX (I think it's 4P)
Mario Party 5 (heard it was good- better than other games in the series. Haven't played it firsthand)

2 players:

Pikmin 2 (would prolly have to be an import)
Soul Calibur II
THPS3/THPS4/THUG

When it comes out, MP2E's multi mode will be fun if you're not all busy playing Halo 2.

Cathcart

Scrow said:
The games have to be instantly entertaining. Arcade-ish types of games.
Do not underestimate Bomberman. In fact for instant entertainment, especially for non-gamers, Bomberman is actually better than Smash Bros. (note to everyone else: no it isn't). Many a night have we popped in Bomberman with the intention of doing anything else after it and just zoned out and bombed away for hours.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Cathcart said:
Do not underestimate Bomberman. In fact for instant entertainment, especially for non-gamers, Bomberman is actually better than Smash Bros. (note to everyone else: no it isn't). Many a night have we popped in Bomberman with the intention of doing anything else after it and just zoned out and bombed away for hours.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Earlier I was talking specifically about FF:CC and FSA though. Games like those don't naturally lend themselves to a tournament style of gaming.

Jumpman

I'm not sure if you could get tournament style gaming out of those two, but they are certainly pick up and play. Neither one of them beats you over the head with a detailed story, and really don't fit snugly into the traditional RPG genre. Either one of these games is a blast with 4 players, and almost as good with only two. If you can get can get a couple of GBA's together, both Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles come highly recomended.

As far as fitting your criteria perfectly, I don't think Timesplitters 2 has been mentioned yet.

Cathcart

Scrow said:
Thanks for the suggestion.

Earlier I was talking specifically about FF:CC and FSA though. Games like those don't naturally lend themselves to a tournament style of gaming.
Yeah I know, that's why I said you probably don't want those for that setup. But they're still great :)

jarrod

Banned
Despite the hate it gets around here, Kirby Air Ride is a good pick up and play multiplayer game... nice looking too.

Capcom's Gotcha Force is fun also, like Virtual On meets Powerstone. It deserves more attention, it's twice the game Custom Robo was. :)

Definitely throw Mario Kart: Double Dash in there. Ah man, the co-op mode in that game was so fun. A friend and I won every cup on every level one day, playing co-op the entire day. So fun.

Deg

Banned
Must have multiplayer games:

Mario Party 5
Mario Kart Double Dash
Soul Calibur II
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Wario Ware. INC. Mega Party Game$!

Very good but not the same standard as the above.

Beach Spikers
Super Monkey Ball 2
Timesplitters 2
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles(coop only)
Pacman VS (limited game)
Bomberman Generations
Rogue Squadron III Rebel Strike
Soccer Slam (get PAL version for more extras)
Mario Party 4
Mario Golf (need to unlock stuff at first to get best multiplayer courses)

I think everything else are below those or i missed them. You'll love GC if you're into multiplayer games.

Top Bottom