• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Video Capture Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for the best video capture card on a PC for a reasonable price. I don't have lots of money to burn, but I am willing to spend a decent amount.

I specifically want to hook up consoles to this card to take clear still shots. I had an old Radeon 7500 All-in-Wonder, which worked fine... but the stills were very poor and blurry.

I'm hoping for something high quality that results in shots that look as good as the game does on my television. A good example would be the screen captures that maskrider (I think) posts from time to time. Any ideas?

Which console are you looking to take shots with? There is software for gc/xbox to grab direct shots, but you'll need a bba/pso for gc and a modded xbox for these methods. But it really is worth it, because the shots are much better than anything you'll get with a cap card IMO.

Mason

Are there any cheap capture cards? I don't need anything like an All-In-Wonder since I already have a decent video card. I just want to capture videogame footage and stuff. Sometimes for fun I mess around and use videogame footage to make home-made trailers and this is what I'd being doing with the footage.

Dekajelly

soulja224466 said:
Which console are you looking to take shots with? There is software for gc/xbox to grab direct shots, but you'll need a bba/pso for gc and a modded xbox for these methods. But it really is worth it, because the shots are much better than anything you'll get with a cap card IMO.

What is this software you mention?

for gc- parasyte's gcnrd. You can find it at www.gscentral.com, but you'll need to use the bba/pso exploit for homebrew apps.
for xbox- there's 2 choices I know of....you will need a modded xbox for both. Dootdoo made a limited screencap util for use with the evox dashboard. And the other screenshot util is included in the xdk, and you'll need to flash a debug bios to your xbox to use it.

Using a cap card may be less hassle, but these methods i described offer much improved picture quality since the pics are taken straight from the frame buffer.

i could post some pics if you want.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
A friend of mine is looking for a video capture card to uh.... capture video. Specifically from the TV as a source, he wants to be able to grab documentaries on Latin America and stuff like that. Any recommendations? Would the Leadtek be good?

well, this is with composite cables and my all in wonder 9000
test_composite.png

and this is with svideo cables and my all in wonder 9000
test_s-video.png

and this is a framebuffer grab
test_framebuffer.png

the difference is very easy to spot

That is DoA3 right? So that must be the patch that allows you to take screens with the press of a button?
Anyway, as you see, there's a HUGE difference. Here's one of mine taken with soul cali2:

tsr00000.JPG

Thats a direct grab, it would look even better if I didn't have to convert to .jpeg

soulja224466 said:
That is DoA3 right? So that must be the patch that allows you to take screens with the press of a button?
Anyway, as you see, there's a HUGE difference. Here's one of mine taken with soul cali2:

tsr00000.JPG

Thats a direct grab, it would look even better if I didn't have to convert to .jpeg
that's doa3, but that's not the screen capture patch, it's using that xbox screen capture tool and debug bios

xdk_screen_capture.png

I'm specifically trying to grab shots from an original Playstation (or PS2, if needed).

Whatever I can do to get the clearest shots possible within a reasonable means, that's cool with me.

kiryogi

Banned
soulja224466 said:
for gc- parasyte's gcnrd. You can find it at www.gscentral.com, but you'll need to use the bba/pso exploit for homebrew apps.
for xbox- there's 2 choices I know of....you will need a modded xbox for both. Dootdoo made a limited screencap util for use with the evox dashboard. And the other screenshot util is included in the xdk, and you'll need to flash a debug bios to your xbox to use it.

Using a cap card may be less hassle, but these methods i described offer much improved picture quality since the pics are taken straight from the frame buffer.

i could post some pics if you want.

Where is the GCNRD on there?

oh and here's some pics from my ATI TV Wonder Pro

Composite:

test.jpg

Svideo
test2.jpg

Mason

I know it's not the same thing, but if you opened those S-Video captures in Photoshop and hit "Sharpen" a couple times, wouldn't that be good enough? If you didn't need them perfect?

Neo_ZX

If you're going to grab PSOne shots might as well get an emulator, scale up the res, add some FSAA/AF, maybe throw in a pixel shader and capture that.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Actually an all-in-wonder should be fine if you're talking PS one. Here's a scaled down example
dkg01.jpg

I've been doing that... but unfortunately to get the shots of some of the things I want, I need a Gameshark. I've been trying to use [PEC] (that cheat device emulator for PSX emus), but it just locks everything up.

I'd like a card for this in general anyway, though. I'm just hoping for the best. I've seen some good stuff with nice cards and DScaler (I think, right?), but have no clue what I should avoid, really. Although I do recognize the Hauppage card, so I'll look into that.

And the scaled down one does look decent... hrm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom