• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best way to sell old games?

Hi, I have a large back log of games im looking to sell. I was just wondering what the best way of going about it is (how to get a fair price). I've heard bad things about gamestop so im wondering if I should just use ebay or find individual buyers or what?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Individual buyers would most likely get you the most money, but if you want the best "Effort:Return" ratio, I would make us of Amazon's Fulfillment service, more specifically, their Easy Sell service. Just set the price, fill out the info blurb, set the condition, and send it to them. There are a decent amount of fees, about 20% in all, but you can just sit back and wait for the games to sell.

To use their Easy Sell service, the games have to have a bar code of some sort (So generally you want them to be in the original case) so if you have a bunch of stuff that is disc only are carts, you would have to do the slightly more effort required task of labeling the items your self. This consists of...

0. Setting up the account (Not hard)
1. Get some sheets of 30 1" x 2 5/8" labels
2. Downloading the Amazon Inventory Upload Spreadsheet
3. Looking up the ASIN of the number of each item (List on the item page)
4. Putting it into the spread sheet and filling out the rest of the info
5. Pushing the upload inventory button in the spread sheet
6. Making a shipment of the stuff you are going to be selling
7. Putting the labels onto the items
8. Putting the items into a box with a provided packing slip
9. Measuring and weighing said box
10. Brining the box to a UPS mail center and handing it to the peoples.

Its not hard, but the labels are a tad pricey and it can take an hour or two to get everything finished depending on what you have.

Ferny

I use amazon myself. It works out pretty well for me and the games always sell quickly. Ive also used glyde.com at times and thats effortless.

I've had quite a bit of good luck buying, selling and trading in the Buy, sell, trade thread above. Its definately the first place I list stuff.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Lots on ebay will be the easiest, but will net the least money.

Selling individually on amazon marketplace/half.com (double list them, cancel on the other after it sold) will take more of your time but will net you more money. Buy/print the postage from amazon or paypal and you can just drop them in the mail box.

tearsofash

Depends on what you're selling, but I've always found that forums' buy/sell/trade threads are the best. Whenever I sell stuff I just use eBay, but I'm very meticulous about my listings to limit what kind of people can even buy from me. Haven't had a bad experience yet.

Pollux

honestly just do ebay....like ^^^ said. gamestop is a rip off and craigslist is sketchy....although thats only from personal experience. so yea...ebay. but thats just my 2 cents

Grinchy

Banned
I have used Ebay for MANY years, and I have used Amazon for the last year or 2 (for selling).

I find that selling on Amazon is the easiest way to go. On Ebay, I always put up descriptive auctions with plenty of pictures to show the buyer exactly what was coming. It took forever to put up a small stack of games.

On Amazon, it takes like literally 4 clicks to sell a game. And they sell fast. The only issue you can run into with selling games on Ebay/Amazon is that you should expect to at least lose 25% from fees/shipping. It's still a much better than going to Gamestop, however.

alr1ghtstart said:
Lots on ebay will be the easiest, but will net the least money.

Selling individually on amazon marketplace/half.com (double list them, cancel on the other after it sold) will take more of your time but will net you more money. Buy/print the postage from amazon or paypal and you can just drop them in the mail box.
Ya half.com works really well. I use it on everything from books to games. Do you have craigslist in your area? That always seems to work really well for me as well.

Half.com is run by eBay, but it's without 80% of the BS of actually selling on eBay. Heavily streamlined, simple, and reasonably fair on fees and such. I absolutely recommend it.

If you decide to go the individual game route you can try Goozex. You won't get cash since they use a point system but some games will net you a fair amount of credits which you can trade in for a game you want to get. If you just want cash you might want to skip it, and it's not exactly fast since there are huge lines for selling/buying on some games.

storl026

If it's your first time selling games online, I would use Half.com.
They have a handy multiple listing tool, they give you a suggested price based on the last items in the same condition that were sold, and your items stay up until they're sold. You can also change the prices they're listed at with 2 clicks.

I sell my games on Amazon all the time. If you're willing to go below the lowest price, you're pretty much guaranteed a sale within 24 hours. Hell, 12.

Stuck

NEOPARADIGM said:
I sell my games on Amazon all the time. If you're willing to go below the lowest price, you're pretty much guaranteed a sale within 24 hours. Hell, 12.

I do the exact same thing on Amazon and I've never failed to sell an item in less than a day.

Top Bottom