• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best wireless headphones for running?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killroy87

Hey all! Sorry if there is already a thread for this topic, I tried searching and nothing came up.

I'm in the market for some bluetooth earbuds for when I'm running/at the gym, and was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations. I'd say my biggest priority is the fit, making sure they stay in while I run. As such, I've been looking more towards sets with ear hooks, like the Powerbeats2, or these Plantronics Backbeat Fit (sorry for the Canadian BestBuy links, but as I have some credit there, that's where I'm shopping).

Sound quality isn't paramount, but I'd rather them not sound like dog shit. Like I said, I'm mostly looking for a set that will stay secure as I run, sound decent, and don't completely break the bank.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Hasney

Jaybird X's. The X3's are coming out soon but barely change anything, but may knock down the X2's price while if you can find the originals at a good price, get them since they were barely changed either.

$149.99 on that Best Buy CA site.

TheGrue

As someone who sweats a good bit and had some Powerbeats 2, don't get them. Constantly had problems with them shorting out on runs and such. Things like once sweat started going, the volume button would just start raising or they would reboot.

I'm using some Redfox headphones I picked up at a running expo before a half marathon. So far they are alright, but I did have issues with them cutting out when I was out running and a thunderstorm/hailstorm decided to dump on me. This is what I have: http://www.redfoxwireless.com/EDGE-bluetooth-sport-headphones-p/rf-eg.htm

Like I said, I am a heavy sweater, so could be you'll have better results than I have, but it seems like the fact you have to use USB to charge leaves a port that is possible to get sweat into. They usually have little covers, but they still let stuff in.

killroy87

The Jaybirds are pretty good at staying in the ears? That's my biggest concern with sets that don't have the around-ear hook thing.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I have a Backbeat Fit. Pretty good, stay on during running and have a decent run time. Microphone for calls is good too.

I have an older Android phone though (Samsung Galaxy S3), and I find they don't play nice with some apps like Google Music and Youtube; I occasionally have issues where the set bluetooth volume and the volume the headphones are set at are somehow separate at time, and where hitting the pause button the side of the headset will only pause the sound for a second and then it automatic continues no matter how much you press it and you'll be forced to open up and restart the app on your phone. YMMV though.

Works pretty flawlessly with my old iPod touch, fwiw.

bender

What time is it?
To go along with the X3, Jaybird is also launching the Jaybird Freedom so it may be worth waiting.

I joined a gym a few months back and have been using the X2s. I can't really comment on sound quality as I only listen to podcasts but I'm really happy with the battery life. The different wings and tips offer a secure fit and good comfort. They rarely fall out and I mostly use them when I do jump shooting drills.

Another vote for the Backbeat fit, probably the only headphones that stayed in my ear after trying a dozen options, wired and wireless in the last 12 months. They also have pretty good battery life, are water proof (I think?) and work great with Android.

Also, they are open, which is a big plus if you run in the city, so you can hear the traffic, but still offer great sound in my opinion. But if you still prefer buds with good isolation then these are not for you.

And you get a armband for your smartphone (but only up to 5.2-ish inches) and keys.

FlyingHugeMan

Neo Member
I loved my X2's, but they broke after like 1 month going to the gym 4/5 times a week. Maybe I got unlucky, but cant recommand those due to shitty quality.

Right now I have a pair of JBL Reflect mini BT. They are doing the job just fine.

wagamer

I bought Jaybird Freedom Sprint three years ago and they're very good, they came with a few different ear hooks. The right earpiece has some remote controls for volume and next/previous. Battery is good for about three or four one-hour sessions. There might be a newer version with a better battery life but I'm very happy with this one.

ElNino

You can? These ones? Do they come with other accessories that they don't mention?
Yes, I have the X2 and they can be worn to loop over or hang under the ear. I wear them under and they barely budge when wearing them. The only thing I don't like with how they fit is that the cord has a rubbery texture, so sometimes it will catch on the collar of my shirt/jacket on the back of my neck, but it never comes out... just tugs a bit.

I wish the battery charge lasted a bit longer (~4-5 hours or so for me), but if you charge often it's not an issue. I often forget though so I fall back to my wired buds.

If you had got them around Boxing Day they were on sale at Best Buy for $100 I believe, but maybe the X2s will go on sale when the X3 come out.

I have Jaybird X2s and love them but I have small ears that the ear piece things don't fit. Even the smallest size just won't fit in my ear.

Still do a decent job of staying place, but something to keep in mind. I'd imagine a pair of wraparound headphones would be way better for running anyway.

Matticers

I have the Jaybird X2's and I'm kind of meh on them. One of the headphones makes kind of a clicky sound if you touch it at all while it's in your ear. I don't know if that's a defect or if it's normal but it's pretty damn annoying. Especially since the fit feels a little off too.

The sound is fine though and the battery life is nice on them. I'd probably just roll with something cheaper if I could do it all over again.

dLMN8R

I just use these. Cheap, they sound pretty good, and they stay in while running:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011HZW6DK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I used to get annoyed with the cord around the back of my neck while running, but I realized that if I just let the cord hang in front of me they're basically perfect.

61NUw2fREYL._SL1500_.jpg

So I just bought the new JayBird Freedom set today ($199.99)

Absolutely great audio and with the companion app you can customize the audio with presets for genres or make your own. The comfort level is the best I've experienced given how lightweight they are and the brushed metal earbuds are a nice touch.

I was looking at the new Plantronics backbeat 3 as I was curious about the charging bag/case but I'm extremely happy with these JayBirds.

Plantronics Backbeat Fit. You're Welcome.

I hate how many of the "wireless" headphones still use an annoying wire to connect the earbuds. It's annoying and usually pulls the earbud out of my ears. These stay put. Controls are good. Sound is good.

EDIT: Price is good too!

KeRaSh

Plantronics Backbeat Fit. You're Welcome.

I hate how many of the "wireless" headphones still use an annoying wire to connect the earbuds. It's annoying and usually pulls the earbud out of my ears. These stay put. Controls are good. Sound is good.

EDIT: Price is good too!

Yeah, I've been using those for month and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.
They fit nicely and have never fallen out so far. I hate in ear plugs and they are kind of an in between thing. I can still hear enough of my surroundings which makes them a little safer that full in ear headphones.

Mokujin

You don't need expensive ones OP as the sound quality will be similar anyway.

It's more important to get ones that stay in more than anything.

I bought these from amazon for less than £20 and they're great. I run over 20 miles a week and not had any issues yet and the battery lasts all week.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphones-Mixcder-ZeroSport-Sweat-proof-Lightweight/dp/B01A7WMBYS/ref=sr_1_57?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1465230063&sr=1-57&keywords=wireless+headphones

Thanks for posting these, I didn't like the wireless headphones I saw way back when I wanted to buy ones, but these match a lot of the things I was looking for in a wireless headset.

I'll recommend something a bit less traditional, but I love this headset.

Aftershokz Bluez 2s, they're bluetooth bone conduction headphones. I hate having my ears covered when I'm out in public, so much so that I usually leave one earbud out so I can hear my surroundings. These rest on the bone right in front of your ears, sending vibrations through your cheekbones to your eardrums.

With these, you can hear everything around you, plus they have a mic so you can take phone calls on them if need be. Sound quality does take a hit, but I mainly listen to podcasts with it, and voices sound great on them.

AS500-2.jpg

1040578d1452064778-mongoose-vinson-bluez-2-7-touchofmodern-640x640.jpeg

I'll recommend something a bit less traditional, but I love this headset.

Aftershokz Bluez 2s, they're bluetooth bone conduction headphones. I hate having my ears covered when I'm out in public, so much so that I usually leave one earbud out so I can hear my surroundings. These rest on the bone right in front of your ears, sending vibrations through your cheekbones to your eardrums.

I desperately need somebody to chime in with a negative thought on bone conduction before I buy these on a whim.

shira

I desperately need somebody to chime in with a negative thought on bone conduction before I buy these on a whim.

Bone conduction cans are perfect for outdoor exercise, but in terms of sound quality the bass is completely through vibration, so they are not so great for podcasts and classical.

killroy87

I ended up going with the Pantronics Backbeat fit! Went for a run this morning, and they worked out great! Sound quality was more than adequate, fit was excellent too. Only downside is that the bluetooth connection seemed a bit spotty, I'm not sure what the cause of that could have been (the phone was less than three feet away at any given moment).

Still, they will more than suffice for my purposes! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

jergrah

I have the Powerbeats 2 amd really like them -- road running, trail running, working out, etc -- no issues at all and comfortable

Bone conduction cans are perfect for outdoor exercise, but in terms of sound quality the bass is completely through vibration, so they are not so great for podcasts and classical.

Bad for podcasts? That's all I really listen too lately so that's good to know.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how about for wired headphones?

Are the Dasmon Headphones any good as conduction phones? I was reading some reviews of those mentioned above and saw some recommendations for the Daemon instead but then I read something about them being a kick-started a few years back and that they're a relatively new company so I'm wondering about their quality and reputation.

dLMN8R

I just got these and they're pretty comfortable, though I'm not quite sure about the audio quality yet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IUP89LS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's Anker, and they make good stuff, and they're currently on sale.

My main headphones though are these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011HZW6DK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They have surprisingly great audio quality both at the high and low end. Not, like amazing, but better than most.

They stay in without issue even when I'm running, though when running I do drape the cord down in front of me instead of around my neck - that helps them stay in place.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Backbeat Fit. Just used them on 10k last week and you barely notice you're wearing them. Super comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom