• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Worldwide sales this gen

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
So far we have:

The Sims - 11mil plus
Pokemon - 10 milplus
GTA Vice City - 9mil plus
Gran Turismo 3 - 7mil plus
Mario64 - 6mil plus

You guys know anywhere I can get the other games/figures?

Meier

Mario 64 did almost 6 million in the US alone on top of about 1.7 million in Japan. I'd imagine its realistic worldwide total is in the vicinity of 10 million. Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire has sold through around 10 million copies in the US and Japan, so its worldwide total is likely in the vicinity of 12-13 million.

Just some random Capcom sales: (all-time I'd assume)
Code:
Category 	Major Titles 	NUMBER OF Titles 	Unit Sales
(' 000 copies)
Shooting 	1942 Series 	3 titles 	1,200
Action 	Ghosts ' n Goblins Series 	13 titles 	4,100
Commando Series 	2 titles 	1,100
Megaman Series 	87 titles 	21,400
Disney Series 	33 titles 	1,300
Finally Fight Series 	8 titles 	3,100
Onimusha Series 	9 titles 	6,000
Devil May Cry Series 	3 titles 	4,500
Fighting 	Street Fighter Series 	50 titles 	23,400
RPG 	Breath OF Fire Series 	13 titles 	2,900
Adventure 	Resident Evil Series 	36 titles 	24,700
Dino Crisis Series 	10 titles 	4,300

boutrosinit

Cimarron said:
since when has Mario 64 been part of this generation?

Well it's a tough call here. I'm doing a study on the best sellers and obviously, getting the older WW best sellers is easier, plus it makes for a more interesting study.

Now, we have GTA3, GT, Pokemon and Sims in the high sellers. After them the figures seem to be at the 6 mil mark for a dozen or so titles, then start to drop.

Basically when I source all the highest WW sellers for this gen, I'll compare them with last gen and make a choice.

So far:
GTA
GTA:VC
Sims
Pokemon
Gran Turismo

then I'm lost.

boutrosinit

sonycowboy said:
Just some random Capcom sales: (all-time I'd assume)
Code:
Category 	Major Titles 	NUMBER OF Titles 	Unit Sales
(' 000 copies)
Shooting 	1942 Series 	3 titles 	1,200
Action 	Ghosts ' n Goblins Series 	13 titles 	4,100
Commando Series 	2 titles 	1,100
Megaman Series 	87 titles 	21,400
Disney Series 	33 titles 	1,300
Finally Fight Series 	8 titles 	3,100
Onimusha Series 	9 titles 	6,000
Devil May Cry Series 	3 titles 	4,500
Fighting 	Street Fighter Series 	50 titles 	23,400
RPG 	Breath OF Fire Series 	13 titles 	2,900
Adventure 	Resident Evil Series 	36 titles 	24,700
Dino Crisis Series 	10 titles 	4,300

Cheers for that :)

Res Evil and SF2 series at 24 mil. Ain't that a heart warmer.

boutrosinit said:
Well it's a tough call here. I'm doing a study on the best sellers and obviously, getting the older WW best sellers is easier, plus it makes for a more interesting study.

Now, we have GTA3, GT, Pokemon and Sims in the high sellers. After them the figures seem to be at the 6 mil mark for a dozen or so titles, then start to drop.

Basically when I source all the highest WW sellers for this gen, I'll compare them with last gen and make a choice.

So far:
GTA
GTA:VC
Sims
Pokemon
Gran Turismo

then I'm lost.

As far as this generation, I'd say that's it (for single titles). If you go with series, then some of the sequels will pump those up later this year.

Rough number warning:
----------------------------
Madden (over 10 million)
FIFA
NFS (NFSU has sold over 5.5 million)
FF (FFX has sold over ~5.5 million copies, FFX-I is over 3.5 million WW)
MGS (MGS2 has sold over 5.5 million)
Halo (Halo over 4.5 million)
Onimusha
Jak
Ratchet & Clank (original R&C has sold over 2.5 million)
Winning Eleven
Dynasty Warriors
Tony Hawk
Kingdom Hearts (over 5 million)
Spider-Man (1st is over 7 million)
ATV:OF (1st is ~ 3 million, just in US)
Super Smash Bros
Zelda
Mario Sunshine

If anybody knows any WW numbers for these, feel free to jump in.

jarrod

Banned
AniHawk said:
Closer to 5 million, really.

NA: 2.5 million
Japan: .8 million
PAL: 1 million
I'd expect NA to be higher with Canada/Mexico (it's 2.1M in the USA alone). There's also Asian markets like Korea and Hong Kong to add a little (in fact, it's a Korean pack-in).... no doubt it's past 5M total.

Alcibiades

didnt' somebody here say that Mario Sunshine was a powerhouse in Europe, selling about 1.5 million, heard it here on GAF, though it could have been speculation.

I wouldn't give "other Asian countries" + "Mexico/Canada" more than .5 million combined.

The US border stores (Target's, Best Buy's, etc..) are where many of the Mexican customers get their videogame products, since they are about twice the price in Mexico, even accounting for the weak Peso...

AniHawk

jarrod said:
I'd expect NA to be higher with Canada/Mexico (it's 2.1M in the USA alone). There's also Asian markets like Korea and Hong Kong to add a little (in fact, it's a Korean pack-in).... no doubt it's past 5M total.

Actually, I was including Canada/Mexico. The userbase there is about 1-1.2 million combined, and if it's the same ratio as it is in the US, then it should be a bit smaller. These are shipped numbers I'm estimating, so maybe there's an extra 100k tacked on there somewhere. Don't see how it can be more than 5.5 WW tops at this point.

efralope said:
didnt' somebody here say that Mario Sunshine was a powerhouse in Europe, selling about 1.5 million, heard it here on GAF, though it could have been speculation.

Could be the topic starter. I remember something similar.

jarrod

Banned
Still, adding sales by 'main' regions is faulty. Using the same standard...

Gran Turismo 3: A Spec
-NA: 4M
-EU: 4.5M
-JP: 1.5M

...and you can't account for nearly 2 million of GT3's 12M total.

AniHawk

jarrod said:
Still, adding sales by 'main' regions is faulty. Using the same standard...

Gran Turismo 3: A Spec
-NA: 4M
-EU: 4.5M
-JP: 1.5M

...and you can't account for nearly 2 million of GT3's 12M total.

Well I had PAL instead of EU... and the PS2 is out in Korea.

I didn't know the GC was out in Korea.

bunkum

If you go to http://www.gamegossip.com and put sales in their search engine you come up with all sorts of interesting stats like

Madden NFL Football 1999: 2.2 million units
Madden NFL Football 2000: 3.1 million units
Madden NFL Football 2001: 4.6 million units
Madden NFL Football 2002: 4.8 million units
Madden NFL Football 2003: 5.4 million units

Grand Theft Auto franchise: Over 30 million units
Max Payne: Over 4 million units
Midnight Club: Over 3 million units
Spec Ops: Over 3 million units
Smugglers Run: Over 1 million units

and here's one from me that may suprise

Conflict franchise over 5 million units worldwide ;)

Alcibiades

AniHawk said:
Well I had PAL instead of EU... and the PS2 is out in Korea.

I didn't know the GC was out in Korea.
it is, but I don't think Nintendo put much effort behind it besides launch

boutrosinit

sonycowboy said:
As far as this generation, I'd say that's it (for single titles). If you go with series, then some of the sequels will pump those up later this year.

Rough number warning:
----------------------------
Madden (over 10 million)
FIFA
NFS (NFSU has sold over 5.5 million)
FF (FFX has sold over ~5.5 million copies, FFX-I is over 3.5 million WW)
MGS (MGS2 has sold over 5.5 million)
Halo (Halo over 4.5 million)
Onimusha
Jak
Ratchet & Clank (original R&C has sold over 2.5 million)
Winning Eleven
Dynasty Warriors
Tony Hawk
Kingdom Hearts (over 5 million)
Spider-Man (1st is over 7 million)
ATV:OF (1st is ~ 3 million, just in US)
Super Smash Bros
Zelda
Mario Sunshine

If anybody knows any WW numbers for these, feel free to jump in.

Yeah. I'd definitely want to go with singles. Series are not focused enough a criteria to focus on. Res Evil has all those crappy Gun Survivor games, and multiple versions etc... Sims has expansion packs. Definitely Singles.

NFSU probably factors in at 5.5. I know there aren't many 6 millions this gen. FIFA does exceptionally well in the U.K/Europe, though I wonder if this is enough to allow it to hit the top ten best sellers this gen.

As for Mario 64 being 12 mil I've *never* heard that before. Are you certain this is not an exaggeration? I could swear it was 8 mil at best.

Meier

boutrosinit said:
As for Mario 64 being 12 mil I've *never* heard that before. Are you certain this is not an exaggeration? I could swear it was 8 mil at best.

So it sold... roughly 0 copies in Europe?

jarrod

Banned
boutrosinit said:
It's 6 million sold in the USA alone... you really think it's only sold 2 million in the rest of the world?

I wonder how well Mario 64x4 will sell?

Fowler

Polyphony told me GT3 sold over 11 million copies worldwide, though I also heard they're lying to cover up poor sales -- you decide!

boutrosinit

jarrod said:
It's 6 million sold in the USA alone... you really think it's only sold 2 million in the rest of the world?

I wonder how well Mario 64x4 will sell?

Well you never know with the varied tastes of the different territories. As for 64x4, I thought it sucked frankly. One thing that makes Mario games so good (generally) is the control and those tiny-ass DS buttons do not a good control scheme make. I found it very awkward to play. Give me that balloon game or Wario Ware over 64x4 any day...

fowler said:
Polyphony told me GT3 sold over 11 million copies worldwide, though I also heard they're lying to cover up poor sales -- you decide!

Very fitting that your avatar is Mr Bauer ;)

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
GTA:VC - 18M
GTA3 - 16M

These are worldwide figures for PS2 only, I don't know how much PC/XB versions did right now.

AniHawk

Fafalada said:
GTA3 - 16M

These are worldwide figures for PS2 only, I don't know how much PC/XB versions did right now.

GTA VC:

US: 6 million (2 million including Canada?)
Japan: .5 million
PAL: 10 million?

jarrod

Banned
AniHawk said:
GTA VC:

US: 6 million (2 million including Canada?)
Japan: .5 million
PAL: 10 million?
No way is Vice City at 18 million on just PS2, it was 10 million just a year ago (PC and PS2 combined at that)... but still, getting totals by adding regions is faulty. :p

Fafalada said:
GTA3 - 16M

Those numbers are just soooo wrong.

Last word was GTA:VC was > 12 million, GTA: SA > 11 million. And that is including ALL platforms worldwide, and most likely the double pack as well. However, it was stated probably more than half a year ago, so it might be upwards of a million more each by now.

Top Bottom