• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best/Worst video game commercials

I was thinking about this after I saw the Pikmin 2 commercial (not that that's a bad one; it just got me thinking what were). There have been a lot of game commercials that range from bad to embarrassing over the years, but I think the one that stands out as one of, if not the, worsts is the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance "call-in" commercial. Sure, Ritz was pretty cute, but the guys they got for Marche and esp. Mewt were side-splittingly laughable. Such a terrible ad...

Picking a best commercial is far more difficult for me, simply because they're so few and far between. A personal favorite though, would be the commercial for MGS:Substance for Xbox. "WHERE ARE YOU, JOHNSON?"

So, what're your picks?

AniHawk

Best:

Sony's original weird "Live in your world, play in ours." commercials.
Nintendo's Pikmin 2 commercial

Honorable mention: The American Metroid Fusion commercial. Not spectacular, but much better than...

Worst:
The American Metroid Prime commercial. Hideous.

LakeEarth

I loved the one Sony PS2 one where the little girl is with the balloons, and the statue is falling... I can't remember it clearly, but I was shocked at how good of a commerical it was considering I tend to hate ones that have no game footage.

AniHawk

LakeEarth said:
I loved the one Sony PS2 one where the little girl is with the balloons, and the statue is falling... I can't remember it clearly, but I was shocked at how good of a commerical it was considering I tend to hate ones that have no game footage.

Yeah, that's one of my favs.

I also liked the early weird Cube commercials (where there were people and things in glass cubes), but that's just me I guess since I haven't heard from anyone else who liked them.

I really liked the original Smash Brothers one. Oh and those legend of Zelda ones (original and LttP) but not because they're good, but because they're really bad.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
TekunoRobby said:
SPEAKING OF METROID

Anyone see the Metroid: Zero Mission ad in Japan? SERIOUS cloth covered T&A there, it was almost comical.

The cardboard stands-ups in Japan for Zero Mission were freaking sweet.

M3wThr33

Banned
That MGS2:S ad was horrible. I don't even know why it got made. It's a good thing I don't see Xbox ads on TV anymore.

evil ways

The Mortal Kombat II for home consoles commercial, with Scorpion, Subzero, Kitana, Baraka, Reptile all fighting amongst each other, and Shao Kahn screaming "Mortal Koooooooombat" in the end. It just looked so cool at the time, almost as good, if not better than the first movie.

M3wThr33

Banned
Oh sweet jesus... dancing. . .
dance.gif

I couldn't resist!

hobbitx

My all time favorites were the Vice City commercials, I liked the later Kool and the Gang Promo better than the Flock of Seagulls one even though both rocked.

The worst is probably the NES Zelda commercial, but that commercial is so bad, it's good! :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
One of Nintendo's Japanese Who Are You? ads. Where all the little kids finished school and were running to this store selling GC/GBA stuff, pulling out special moves along the way.. i.e. jumping long distances, getting smashed onto a wall then getting back up HK kung fu style. Then they finally get to the store and the store owner sees all these kids with Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong etc etc heads on them.

It shat over every other commercial that has come before and after it.

mac said:
GBA Golden Sun, with the opera and the chandelier dragon.

Best, I'm hoping? lol

As for worst, I'm going with Link's Awakening. It's basically some guy rapping about Link while images of the game are projected on brick walls.

Make even more annoying because the box in the commercial clearly showed that the game was for two players.

Ronabo

Anyone remember the European DOA3 ad?

It had some dude dressed as Christy running around acting like an ass.

It was rather funny.

:lol

Odoul

Best

Vigilant-8: Blow Sh*t up.
Twisted Metal 2: Sweet tooth's gettin paroled from clown pententiary.
Metal Gear Solid:Jumping around in the kiddie pool.
Saturn: Fly play thing fly.
Mortal Kombat 2
Anything with the Sega Scream

Worst

Conker: Loved the game but this was just stupid.
Dead Or Alive 3: Anything where I have to see allusions to guys waxin it is an automatic fail.

aku:jiki

I liked the PS2 one where millions and millions of people were playing king of the hill (do you call it that in the US?) in like NYC, building people mountains with some old song I can't remember playing over it. Might've been euro only.

Agent X

OK, here's the absolute best video game commercial of all time: Atari's "The Fly" advertisement from 1982!

Link 1

Link 2

Both links show the same commercial, from two different sources. The first one is a smaller file than the second, and is displayed at a lower resolution. The second file is higher resolution, but it's slightly distorted (stretched wide), while the first appears to be the correct aspect ratio. For that reason, you might want to try both links. :)

This is a two-minute ad that Atari ran in movie theaters (along with movie trailers, before the featured movie began). It's stylish and just plain brilliant, especially considering that it dates back to 1982. The commercial probably has more impact if you're familiar with the featured games, but even if you're not familiar with them, you'll enjoy it. It clearly came from a time when video games were games, and not "interactive stories" or some such convoluted garbage. Coincidentally, it came from a time when Atari was the dominant force in video gaming, and wasn't afraid to spend a few extra bucks on advertising to prove it. :D

Anyway, I've rambled on enough here. Just go watch the commercial.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I always liked the original Super Smash Bros. commercial. Too bad every other costume comercial after it sucked :(

Agent X said:
OK, here's the absolute best video game commercial of all time: Atari's "The Fly" advertisement from 1982!

Link 1

Link 2

Both links show the same commercial, from two different sources. The first one is a smaller file than the second, and is displayed at a lower resolution. The second file is higher resolution, but it's slightly distorted (stretched wide), while the first appears to be the correct aspect ratio. For that reason, you might want to try both links. :)

This is a two-minute ad that Atari ran in movie theaters (along with movie trailers, before the featured movie began). It's stylish and just plain brilliant, especially considering that it dates back to 1982. The commercial probably has more impact if you're familiar with the featured games, but even if you're not familiar with them, you'll enjoy it. It clearly came from a time when video games were games, and not "interactive stories" or some such convoluted garbage. Coincidentally, it came from a time when Atari was the dominant force in video gaming, and wasn't afraid to spend a few extra bucks on advertising to prove it. :D

Anyway, I've rambled on enough here. Just go watch the commercial.

Wow. That brought back a lot of memories. And it was a pretty good commercial to boot.

maynerd

Banned
"One of Nintendo's Japanese Who Are You? ads. Where all the little kids finished school and were running to this store selling GC/GBA stuff, pulling out special moves along the way.. i.e. jumping long distances, getting smashed onto a wall then getting back up HK kung fu style. Then they finally get to the store and the store owner sees all these kids with Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Donkey Kong etc etc heads on them.

It shat over every other commercial that has come before and after it."

Link please! I'd like to see this.

Miguel

"Nigel, he cut my head off! DID YOU SEE THAT? HE CUT MY HEAD OFF!"

"What a wuss"

Worst...Commercial. Ever.

First (besides Scott with the two .. over the o in his name) to name this commercial wins...nothing.

Top Bottom