• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big time underachieving sports teams

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They werent expected to do great or anything, but at least be competitive with some key players and maybe fight for a playoff spot in a year or two where some vets come in to help out the young guns. Nobody expected them to be bottom of the league.

2020-21 Buffalo Sabres

- Finished dead last in the league by a lot. In 56 games (covid year), they had only 15 wins and 37 pts (out of a possible 112). The next worst team was Anaheim at 43
- Ottawa was predicted last in the league and was down there at 51 pts. But I remember at one time Buff had about 10 more pts than Ottawa, but they ended up 14 pts ahead
- Buffalo started the season 4W - 3L - 2OTL across 9 games. Not too bad. The rest of the way they went 11W - 31L - 5OTL
- Had an 18 game losing streak, and two 4 game losing streaks

Key players who tanked it

- Taylor Hall star player signed. 37 GP. 2G and 19 pts
- Jack Eichel injury prone crybaby. 21 GP. 2G and 18 pts
- Jeff Skinner. The $9M/yr man (signed an 8yr/$72M deal in 2019! Scored 40 goals in 2018). 53 GP. 7G and 14 pts
- Kyle Okposo. Historic underachiever but good for 30-35 pts over 82 games. 35 GP. 2G and 13 pts
- Eric Staal vet signing. 32 GP. 3G and 10 pts
- Carter Hutton. Decent backup goalie fighting for starter role. 12 starts. 1 win and 11 losses

The 5 forwards combined for only 16 goals/74 pts across 178 man games.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
For English football, I'd go for West Ham Utd.

They were fantastic last season and were unlucky not to reach the top four and qualify for the Champions League.

Lingard was a key player for them last year, so I didn't know how they'ed get on this season without him, but they've picked up where they left off last year and are currently sitting in 4th.

I'd love to see them break into the top four this year.

Ballthyrm

Correct me If I'm Wrong but that's why most US sports have the draft.
Because you have consistent underachieving team that need help finding new talent.

In Europe most sport are under division system instead of Franchise system, so we get rid of the bad teams every year.

So in your case, the underachieving teams can only be the national teams, as they only make with what they have.
So in that instance, I would say that the Belgium soccer team is pretty high up there, they are always stacked with Talent but can never achieve anything.
Another example is my own country Rugby Team, the French Rugby team keep shooting itself in the foot in every major competition, we are even well known for that ^^, all the while having some of the best players on the planet.

Another good example is the Men US soccer team, never fails to dissapoint :D

Last edited:
Detroit Lions

/closethread
Yep.

Matthew Stafford Idk GIF by Detroit Lions

Amory

The 2010 San Diego Chargers. Also if you've never watched this channel's videos and you're into American sports and statistics, they're fantastic.

Erdrick

The Seattle Mariners have been mediocre for most of their existence in MLB. First team that came to mind. No playoffs since... 2001? Tough being a fan. (Although last year was kinda fun, to be honest.)

People keep naming bad teams and organizations. But the thread is about underachieving. No one expects the Detroit Lions to do anything ever. Even when they had Barry, they were never expected to compete for Superbowls.

I’d consider the New York Yankees of the last 12 years. All that payroll. All those names. No titles since 2009 and none really on the horizon. They couldn’t even make the playoffs this year.

People keep naming bad teams and organizations. But the thread is about underachieving. No one expects the Detroit Lions to do anything ever. Even when they had Barry, they were never expected to compete for Superbowls.

I’d consider the New York Yankees of the last 12 years. All that payroll. All those names. No titles since 2009 and none really on the horizon. They couldn’t even make the playoffs this year.

In that case I nominate the 1990-94 Buffalo Bills. 4 straight Super bowl appearances and 4 straight losses. Pretty crazy for that to happen and still blows my mind even today when I think about how crazy hard it would be to get to 4 in a row and lose 'em all.

Pagusas

Elden Member
My Green Bay Packers. Rodgers could/should have 5 rings by now, not just one. The last decade is literally the Packers underperforming in every category but QB play, and still getting to the NFC Championship over and over again.

Last edited:

Cattlyst

Correct me If I'm Wrong but that's why most US sports have the draft.
Because you have consistent underachieving team that need help finding new talent.

In Europe most sport are under division system instead of Franchise system, so we get rid of the bad teams every year.

So in your case, the underachieving teams can only be the national teams, as they only make with what they have.
So in that instance, I would say that the Belgium soccer team is pretty high up there, they are always stacked with Talent but can never achieve anything.
Another example is my own country Rugby Team, the French Rugby team keep shooting itself in the foot in every major competition, we are even well known for that ^^, all the while having some of the best players on the planet.

Another good example is the Men US soccer team, never fails to dissapoint :D
Belgium is definitely a good contender for most underachieving soccer team. Aren't they ranked as the best in the world currently on the Fifa rankings? And always fail at the final stages of competitions.

Macattk15

The Mariners. I say that as a lifelong fan :(

One of the few teams left in baseball to never make it to the World Series. Haven't made it to the playoffs in 2 decades AT ALL.

Azurro

Banned
All of them. They make a living playing childrens games like losers lololol

If having a high end sports car, a freaking mansion, ultra hot wife and millions in my bank account in addition to being in peak physical condition (well, not talking about monster crunch handegg) is being a loser then I'd love to be one.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
England football team. Shut up about 1066.

will it come Home ?
Maybe but can the fans that are the idiots stop being twats

thank you good day.

oh and millwall

Top Bottom