• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biggest overhyped disappointment this generation?

Speevy

Banned
With all this talk of Fable from people who for the most part haven't played it yet, I can't help thinking of the games that have truly let us down since the generation began. So I've compiled a list of games that were expected to be so much more than they wound up being to some people.

Which game disappointed you the most? How do you feel about that game today? Again, this is not my opinion, but rather the opinion of other people. I loved a great number of these games, in fact.

Gamecube

-Luigi's Mansion
-Super Mario Sunshine
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
-Mario Kart: Double Dash
-Animal Crossing (die haters)
-Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rebel Strike
-1080 Avalanche
-Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
-Resident Evil REmake/RE0
-Metal Gear Solid: TTS
-Metroid Prime

Xbox

-Brute Force
-Blinx: The Time Sweeper
-Amped 2
-Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
-Jet Set Radio Future
-Dead or Alive 3
-Steel Batallion
-Full Spectrum Warrior
-Halo (Hey, no game is immune from the "overhyped disappointment" stigma, even the "greatest FPS of this generation.")

PS2

-The Bouncer
-Final Fantasy X-2
-Xenosaga
-Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
-Devil May Cry 2
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
-Jak 2
-Kingdom Hearts
-Final Fantasy XI
-Silent Hill 2
-GTA games
-Tomb Raider: AoD

Multiplatform/PC

-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
-Soul Calibur 2
-Deus Ex: Invisible War
-Doom 3
-Thief: Deadly Shadows
-The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind
-Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
-SpiderMan 2
-Need for Speed: Underground
-Driv3r
-Enter the Matrix

And you can choose other ones. This is just a "master list" of sorts.

"PS2

-Final Fantasy X
-Final Fantasy X-2
-Grand Theft Auto 3
-Devil May Cry 2
-Jak 2
-Kingdom Hearts
-Final Fantasy XI
-Silent Hill 2"

I would remove FFX, GTA and GTA Vice City from that list.

Add The Bouncer, Final Fantasy XI, and Xenosaga

Zilch

Banned
You basically just listed all the biggest titles for each system. It's pretty obvious games such as these are going to have some backlash somewhere.

SyNapSe

Doom_Bringer said:
"PS2

-Final Fantasy X
-Final Fantasy X-2
-Grand Theft Auto 3
-Devil May Cry 2
-Jak 2
-Kingdom Hearts
-Final Fantasy XI
-Silent Hill 2"

I would remove FFX, GTA and GTA Vice City from that list.

Add The Bouncer, Final Fantasy XI, and Xenosaga

That would put Final Fantasy XI on the list twice, and I think it turned out well.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Doom_Bringer said:
They should have called it Final Fantasy Online! FFXI is not a final fantasy.

Its more of a Final Fantasy than Crystal Chronicle...yeah, I said it.

i found viewtiful joe, metroid prime and sms to be a bit underwhelming. Doom 3 is shitty tbh, nice looking but 1994 gameplay doesnt cut the mustard anymore

beerbelly

Banned
Gamecube: MGS:TTS - Good graphics, but the game was just not fun.
PS2: Vice City - Didn't like the setting/environents and colors (too bright). I prefer GTA3 more.
Xbox: Ninja Gaiden - FMV quality graphics but it was not fun. Also too hard.
PC: Doom 3 - Unnecessarily long. Scary at first but got repetitive and predictable later.

jarrod

Banned
Well, according to popular opinion most likely...

PS2: Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
GC: Super Mario Sunshine
XBox: Fable (wait for it)

...but for me personally...

PS2: Dark Cloud 2
GC: Metroid Prime
GBA: Wario Ware, Inc: Mega MicroGame$

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I dunno, Speevy. A lot of those games you listed as the "Biggest, Overhyped dissapointment this gen" are games that alot of people do like. Which I found weird, considering you based your list off of what other people seem to think.

shuri

Banned
Metroid Prime
Doom 3

I mean, I had more fun with Doom 3 than with Metroid Prime, but Doom 3 will sadly, never become a classic like Doom 1 and 2.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Duke Nukem Forever is the returning champ.

Speevy

Banned
Dr.Guru of Peru said:
I dunno, Speevy. A lot of those games you listed as the "Biggest, Overhyped dissapointment this gen" are games that alot of people do like. Which I found weird, considering you based your list off of what other people seem to think.

And people will like Fable, so it's useless to toss a game in the trash before its release, or even shortly thereafter.

But it's interesting nonetheless.

btrboyev

Gamecube

-Luigi's Mansion - this wasn't hyped much at all
-Super Mario Sunshine - was hyped, but only haters have anything really bad to say about the game
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - same as mario
-Mario Kart: Double Dash - Was hyped, and while an awesome game, it failed to deliver at least to me, the fun of mario kart 64.
-Animal Crossing (die haters) - wasn't really hyped.
-Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rebel Strike - hyped, but I haven't played it.
-1080 Avalanche - Wasn't realy hyepd, again i haven't played it.
-Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - Hyped yes, but I think it was brilliant
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Never played.
-Resident Evil REmake/RE0 - Both games turned out pretty good.

Xbox

-Brute Force - Wasn't really hyped was it? Never played
-Blinx: The Time Sweeper - Hyped...sucked.
-Amped 2 - Hyped? no, decent sure.
-Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - Not hyped, but a pretty sweet game.
-Jet Set Radio Future - hyped...not as good as the first.
-Dead or Alive 3 - Hyped? no...the series sucks other than graphics.
-Steel Batallion - i don't know
-Full Spectrum Warrior - not sure
-Halo (Hey, no game is immune from the "overhyped disappointment" stigma, even the "greatest FPS of this generation.")...Never played...but I don't remeber that much hype other than from FPS geeks.

PS2

-Final Fantasy X - Hyped yep, good yep...great? no.
-Final Fantasy X-2 - Crap and wasn't hyped all tnat much either.
-Grand Theft Auto 3 - There realy wasn't much hype with this game until it came close to release.
-Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - Hyped..it only let down people who were expecting much different from GTA3, which is slightly the better game.
-Devil May Cry 2 - Dissapointment
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - Most hyped game ever...most dissapointing game ever.
-Jak 2 - No hype...decent not great.
-Kingdom Hearts - Anticpated, not reall hyped, and it was great.
-Final Fantasy XI - Again..not to much hype..I was in beta, got the game for free and haven't even opened it.
-Silent Hill 2 - Never played..and wasn't hyped unless it was from SSX.

Multiplatform/PC

-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Anticipated, and was good.
-Soul Calibur 2 - Hyped and dissapointed compared to SC1.
-Deus Ex: Invisible War - no clue
-Doom 3 - Hyped...never played.
-Thief: Deadly Shadows - It was never hyped.
-The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind - wrongfully hyped...yuck.
-Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne - Was this game hyped?? for shame.
-SpiderMan 2 - This wasn't hyped...it had a more sleeper hit vibe.
-Need for Speed: Underground - Wasn't hyped at all.
-Driv3r - Wasn't hyped..most people had low expectations.

Solid

Metroid Prime

I will never understand why people love it. Every time I think about I go 'meh'. Great soundtrack though.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This one doesn't even resemble a contest.

Metal Gear Solid 2.

Konami had everybody practically worshiping the game for nigh on two year before it launched, only for everybody to find out that about 75% of the game sucked.

The only thing that might compare would be if the new GTA game turned out to be so bad that it was villified by everybody. The same goes more or less for Halo 2, too. Or if Madden 2005 for the PS2 looked like its PSOne counterpart and played like a 989 game. That's the level of mass overhype/disappointment we're talking about with MGS2.

Speevy

Banned
gofreak said:

This game was overhyped?

Depends on the people you ask. It was definitely highly acclaimed, and it's my favorite game of all time.

I guess I should eliminate "overhyped" from the premise of this thread. Just "disappointing" will do just fine.

Dyne

gofreak said:

This game was overhyped?

I wouldn't even know it existed/I wouldn't care had my friend not bought it by accident.

I don't think I was majorly disappointed with any game other than Mario Kart, which I won't even touch unless at least three people are holding controllers in my house.

I wasn't disappointed with Wind Waker. Actually, I expected LESS.

GhaleonEB

This is a tough subject - I'd rather it be "What hugely hyped game sucked."

Besides, Halo for example, didn't have the kind of hype/respect it got until well after it was out. It was hyped to be good, but everyone was blindsided by just how great it was.

Che

Banned
Deepthroat said:
Metroid Prime

I will never understand why people love it. Every time I think about I go 'meh'. Great soundtrack though.

SHUT UP!!! Best game this generation.

Final Fantasy X-2 and Mario Sunshine.

Gattsu25

Banned
Here's how it works, everyone add up the total number of games you list and use this formulae:

Less than 5 games - You are a honest to goodness gamer
Less than 10 games - Nostalgia keeps you gaming. You lost sight of why you originally started playing.
10 games or more - You, sir, are Jaded. Quit this hobby and start building Gundams or Painting

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Speevy said:
Gamecube

-Luigi's Mansion - boring game
-Super Mario Sunshine - decent game. I never really got into it though
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - awesome game, lame triforce quests at the end
-Mario Kart: Double Dash - blah
-Animal Crossing (die haters) - not much hype at all here. Awesome game.
-Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rebel Strike - never played
-1080 Avalanche - lame game
-Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - decent game, didn't meet my own expectations
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - good times, too much work to enjoy it though
-Resident Evil REmake/RE0 - awesome, I'm a huge fan of this series. Not enough hype
-Metal Gear Solid: TTS - great remake
-Metroid Prime - best gamecube game yet
-Super Smash Brothers - Blah

Xbox

-Brute Force - super lame
-Blinx: The Time Sweeper - kinda cool but missed the mark
-Amped 2 - great game, odd controls
-Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - sweet action
-Jet Set Radio Future - not as good as the first
-Dead or Alive 3 - really pretty, kinda shallow
-Steel Batallion - too much money
-Full Spectrum Warrior - very cool experience, not sure if this is really a game
-Halo (Hey, no game is immune from the "overhyped disappointment" stigma, even the "greatest FPS of this generation.") - Multiplayer is the best gaming experience I have ever had.

PS2

-Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness - crazy overhyped crap
-The Bouncer - junk
-Final Fantasy X-2 - haven't played yet, i bought it though
-Xenosaga - too long for my tastes
-Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - best all around game ever
-Devil May Cry 2 - I have no expaination for what happened here
-Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty - I loved it
-Jak 2 - great game
-Kingdom Hearts - holy suckhole camera
-Final Fantasy XI - I have too much life for this game.
-Silent Hill 2 - best survivor horror game evar
-GTA games - awesome series

Multiplatform/PC

-Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - my favorite game of 2003
-Soul Calibur 2 - great game
-Deus Ex: Invisible War - good game, crashed a lot on me, I got a cool T-shirt with the game.
-Doom 3 - I'm loving it.
-Thief: Deadly Shadows - I didn't enjoy this at all. Really slow
-The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind - felt too big for me,
-Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne - alright, but 4 hours was crazy short
-SpiderMan 2 - Helllpppppppp, my balloonnnnnnnnn!!! Ugh. Swingin is awesome though
-Need for Speed: Underground - great until the end when it becomes impossible
-Driv3r - oh my gosh, what an absolutley brutal game.
-Enter the Matrix - I still enjoyed this, I dont know how but it was still decent.

And you can choose other ones. This is just a "master list" of sorts.

There's my opinions. Speevy hates too much

Xellos

GC: SM Sunshine -- Worst Mario ever. Not even as good as Banjo-Tooie. Still better than either Jak game, though.
Xbox: Gunvalkyrie -- Coming from Smilebit (then hot off the awesome JSR DC), this was underwhelming to say the least.
PS2 -- Castlevania: LoI -- Dunno what I was thinking expecting good things from 3D Castlevania, but I was. Great combat but the evironments were sooo horrible. Maybe one of these days Konami will get it right.
Multi -- ESPN NBA Basketball -- WTF was Visual Concepts thinking?

Alex

As far as games I was interested in, and hype goes. Probably just Metroid Prime. The rest I am too lazy to complain about anymore.

Even though I really dig my Cube as of late, and even though I love Metroid. I just hated Prime, absolutely hated it despite four or five attempts to get into it and overlook things.

I could complain about it forever, and the first person viewpoint never even remotely bothered me.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
AniHawk said:
Dark Cloud (the first one) gets my vote.

Whoa, thank god you said the first one. If you said Dark Cloud 2...well I don't know what I would have done.

I'm going to go with either MGS:TTS or Devil May Cry 2. Those two hit me on a personal level.

Tsubaki

Gattsu25 said:
10 games or more - You, sir, are Jaded. Quit this hobby and start building Gundams or Painting

Hahaha awesome :)

I have over 100 titles on my list. But I guess that's why I don't really buy games anymore, just whine about 'em.

AniHawk

Grizzlyjin said:
Whoa, thank god you said the first one. If you said Dark Cloud 2...well I don't know what I would have done.

I'm going to go with either MGS:TTS or Devil May Cry 2. Those two hit me on a personal level.

Same with Dark Cloud. I read up on the game, it sounded solid enough. A couple people had recommended it to me, and I had heard it was the PS2's "Zelda-killer."

I trucked through the first three levels/areas of the game before giving up. The whole rebuilding the world thing was cool, but DEATH to those random dungeon floors I say (and the thirst system and everything else you have to micromanage in order to drive me 100% completely insane).

I also didn't like Virtua Fighter 4 much, but that's another story for another time.

Top Bottom