• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Simmons going to HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Guys,
The OP sources an article that has a pretty big grammer error.
Simmons will also have a production deal to produce content for the network and its digital platforms, delivering video, podcasts and features as he did at ESPN.

Now, here is how it is written in the offical HBO PR release: http://hbob2b.vo.llnwd.net/u/mr_twitter/July2015/billsimmons_ann_final.pdf

Simmons will also have a production deal to produce content and assets for the
network and its digital platforms, delivering video podcasts and features

The HBO release does not have the comma between video and podcasts, and reads that he will be making "Video podcasts". That sounds like it isn't going to be an audio download, but a video.

gogosox82

This is pretty interesting. I'm wondering how they are going to set this all up though. Is he going to a new website for his writing and podcasts? And does hbo do podcasts? I thought they kept everything behind a paywall? That might be a little difficult to make a podcast popular if its behind a paywall. Though I never liked Simmons on tv, I thought the basketball hour was good mostly because he'd bring on people like Lowe and just have a discussion. HBO would probably give them more freedom but he's probably not going to have access to guys like Lowe so I'm wondering who he'd bring on. Either way, I'm pretty excited about this.

Gigglepoo

Cousin Sal ‏@TheCousinSal 16m16 minutes ago
Congrats @BillSimmons! You are so much closer now to achieving your dream of a threesome with Khaleesi + Larry David. #HBO

I can't imagine his first big arrival on HBO will be a recorded podcast unfortunately. :-/

Well, Colbert has been doing that underground video series in anticipation for his talk show. Anything is possible!

Cousin Sal ‏@TheCousinSal 16m16 minutes ago
Congrats @BillSimmons! You are so much closer now to achieving your dream of a threesome with Khaleesi + Larry David. #HBO

Well, Colbert has been doing that underground video series in anticipation for his talk show. Anything is possible!

Didn't think of that. Totally agree!

Gigglepoo

Don't get your hopes up. The NFL lines podcast is definitely dead. Sal is still a Disney employee.

Does that matter? Simmons had people from other networks on the BS Report (Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth, for instance, works at NBC). I'm not sure why Cousin Sal wouldn't be able to record with an HBO personality. And I doubt if Simmons has a non-compete clause like that in his contract considering how he bristles at being told what to do. If, for some reason, Sal couldn't be on his podcast, Simmons could do the lines on Sal's.

Right?

Guys,
The OP sources an article that has a pretty big grammer error.

Now, here is how it is written in the offical HBO PR release: http://hbob2b.vo.llnwd.net/u/mr_twitter/July2015/billsimmons_ann_final.pdf

The HBO release does not have the comma between video and podcasts, and reads that he will be making "Video podcasts". That sounds like it isn't going to be an audio download, but a video.

His more recent grantland stuff was all video podcasts that they would also release as audio.

Does that matter? Simmons had people from other networks on the BS Report (Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth, for instance, works at NBC). I'm not sure why Cousin Sal wouldn't be able to record with an HBO personality. And I doubt if Simmons has a non-compete clause like that in his contract considering how he bristles at being told what to do. If, for some reason, Sal couldn't be on his podcast, Simmons could do the lines on Sal's.

Right?

He has never had to GET people from ESPN to appear (Sal, Jalen, Lowe) though.
That's the difference.
I hope it happens. I dont even like football but I love the weekly line podcasts.

Right?

It depends on how spiteful ABC/ESPN wants to be. Simmons mentioned how they have to okay his appearances on other networks or podcasts. If they really wanted to be assholes I'm sure they could forbid Sal from appearing with SImmons and vice versa. Depends on how much Sal's bosses care though.

Gigglepoo

He has never had to GET people from ESPN to appear (Sal, Jalen, Lowe) though.
That's the difference.
I hope it happens. I dont even like football but I love the weekly line podcasts.

Well, yeah, but Disney employees can go on other networks. Simmons let lose the infamous "testicular fortitude" line on the Dan Patrick Show.

It depends on how spiteful ABC/ESPN wants to be. Simmons mentioned how they have to okay his appearances on other networks or podcasts. If they really wanted to be assholes I'm sure they could forbid Sal from appearing with SImmons and vice versa. Depends on how much Sal's bosses care though.

True. If you can't tell, I really hope Guess The Lines lives on. That and anything Klosterman does are my favorite BS Report segments.

ESPN is notoriously choosy about where they let their talent appear. Mike Francesa famously won't go on/participate in anything ESPN-related, since they bar talent from going on his show.

I'm pretty sure Jalen, Sal, and anyone else under ESPN contract will be prohibited from appearing.

Ralemont

not me

They had both audio and video versions of certain casts at Grantland, so I could see them doing that here.

Edit: Beaten.

Yes. Was worried he was going to TNT. I don't have to listen to him commentate before/halftime/after a game anymore. I can safely never hear his annoying voice again.

It's not the difficulty aspect that matters, it's whether it fits into their business model...

Well they have an "HBO Podcasts" section on iTunes and already publish a bunch of them, and this press release seemed to make it a point to mention podcasting, so I think they have determined it does fit into their business model. I don't see why it would be any different from Grantland. There they would film the podcasts in a studio, and release them as video interviews, but also release that same content as audio. It's the same thing they already do with Real Time with Bill Maher.

Another thing I was thinking about, they're not going to bring Bill on just to have him do a show that gets recorded and pushed out as a podcast a la` Real Time. I have to imagine that he's going to do something that's unique and different from other HBO personalities and from what he did at ESPN.

I think video podcasts along with audio are givens, I'm really curious to see what kind of web presence they have either agreed to build for him, or have given him the budget to build. Hell, I wonder if they've got plans for some kind of digital-exclusive (HBO Go/HBONow exclusive?) content with him.

This is to say nothing of the cool shit he could do with Vice, since their sports property has been in limbo (it doesn't even have a name beyond Vice Sports, right?) for a while. Maybe a partnership is formed there through HBO.

spyder_ur

Great place to settle - much better than playing second fiddle on one of ESPN's struggling competitors. I still don't think he's particularly good on camera, but it'll be (hopefully) more of a casual talk format. I'm particularly excited about the idea of him leveraging the talented people that HBO uses for documentaries. Very promising stuff.

I'm also very curious about how HBO builds a web presence for him, if at all.

As for HBO buying Grantland? Yeah, that makes very little sense.

spyder_ur

the Overtime segments of Real Time with Bill Maher are released as audio. It's not like it's all that difficult to do. Just throw them on iTunes.

The whole show is available as audio actually.

I would expect there to be the weekly show (that may or may not be audio) and a supplementary regular podcast of some type. But I guess we'll see.

Gigglepoo

Since Food News is an amazing podcast then isn't hard to be worse than it.

Glad I'm not the only one who digs it. A lot of Grantland's podcasts are great: Grantland NFL Podcast, Lowe Post, Hollywood Prospectus, Watch the Thrones, and Food News are all top notch.

A step down in my opinion. I just don't think he will be as relevant as he was with access to the ESPN/Grantland/ABC ecosystem.
But at least he won't be saddled with Jalen Rose anymore and hopefully will get some sort of 30-For-30-ish series of docs going.

Glad I'm not the only one who digs it. A lot of Grantland's podcasts are great: Grantland NFL Podcast, Lowe Post, Hollywood Prospectus, Watch the Thrones, and Food News are all top notch.

Don't forget NBA After Dark, for all your Chris Ryan/Juliet Litman destroying Andrew Sharp needs.

Fjordson

A step down in my opinion. I just don't think he will be as relevant as he was with access to the ESPN/Grantland/ABC ecosystem.
Definitely a chance he won't be as visible, but at this point I think it's just good that he'll be able to make quality content with freedom.

ryseing

Jacoby + Rembert sidekicks please.

With no censorship this show could be awesome. I hope HBO gives him an outlet for occasional columns as well.

I would love to see some of the Grantland staff rescued.

Have Greenwald and Chris Ryan do the Watch the Thrones pod on HBO!!

Oh man, I can only imagine what the WTT crew could do as an actual HBO thing. Would be great.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hope he does more stuff like 30 for 30. a lot of those docs were great.

i hate christian laetner such a good title haha

spyder_ur

I love this spot for him, but I think the expectations that he's going to be really brash and unfiltered are a little unrealistic. He's gotten this reputation as someone who will tell truth to power but it's largely unearned in my opinion - most of his scuffles with ESPN were based on him just being thin-skinned as fuck, and he's a guy who really seemed to enjoy his access to stars.

I hope his show doesn't just become a bunch of 1-on-1 celebrity guests and stuff - my favorite stuff of his is when he's talking with his friends like Jacoby, Chuck, Cousin Sal, etc.

Gigglepoo

Don't forget NBA After Dark, for all your Chris Ryan/Juliet Litman destroying Andrew Sharp needs.

Good call. I did enjoy their take on DeAndre's flip-flopping.

Oh man, I can only imagine what the WTT crew could do as an actual HBO thing. Would be great.

Would Ryan, Greenwald, Rubins, and Conception be as confident saying what they feel? Probably best not to criticize a show your employer funds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom