• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BitTorrent and Belkin Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

Does anybody have a Belkin Router? I have the cable/dsl 4 port router (F5D5231-4).
THN651_F5D5231-4.gif

I've tried to set up both the Application Gateway and a Virtual Server to open up the ports but the torrents still show yellow. When I plug directly into the cable modem, everything lights up green. Checked for firmware update, but there was none. I have 6881-6999 TCP ports open but no luck.

Any suggestions?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I dont' know, I've got the Belkin wireless router, and I've got bittorrent to work fine. I've got the ports 6881-6889 open (make sure the IP address is set to the computer that is using bittorrent). I also turned off the built-in-firewall (I prefer my software firewalls anyway) and put my computer in the DMZ. So maybe that's the only way to get it to work (otherwise it would block all incoming connections as DoS attacks).

What I've noticed having trouble with is the fact that I can't really access websites that use cookies, although in weird ways. I can get into my gmail account, but not my old yahoo mail account. I don't understand why. I think these routers just have a lot of odd quirks. I have to turn off NAT to access this stuff (which boots of all other comps). I don't really know what to tell you.

andthebeatgoeson

Funny that you bring that up cuz a few sites, I'm having trouble with. I have ZoneAlarm but don't want to turn off the firewall nor hop into DMZ. BitTorrent still runs but it's just getting them to display all green and I'm worried that the torrents are as fast as they could be behind the firewall

DMZ is no good. Just forward the right BT ports (6881-6889 by default), and everything should work fine. Allow your BT client full privs through Zone Alarm too.

Nerevar said:
What I've noticed having trouble with is the fact that I can't really access websites that use cookies, although in weird ways. I can get into my gmail account, but not my old yahoo mail account. I don't understand why. I think these routers just have a lot of odd quirks. I have to turn off NAT to access this stuff (which boots of all other comps). I don't really know what to tell you.

That sounds more like a problem with your software firewall than your router.

Nerevar

Cerebral Palsy said:
That sounds more like a problem with your software firewall than your router.

Nope, because when I turn off NAT in the router (thus, all it's functionality besides being a hub) I can access every site flawlessly. The weirdest thing is the other computer that is hardwired to this has none of these problems. It's the weirdest thing I've ever encountered - something like my computer alone is having trouble with. I think it's blocking them again as DoS attacks on my computer, although I can't say for sure. Once again, this computer has loads of trouble surfing the web with the router and NAT turned on, but when I disable NAT or connect to the DSL modem directly I have no trouble. I saw this on other websites, and their recommendations were of course "update the firmware" - problem is my firmware is fully up-to-date. I'm going to have to try and work through this with some clueless tech support guy.

Bowser

skinny, I have the same router as you do and I'm having the same problem. I don't know how to forward or open TCP ports or how to turn off the routers firewall; could somone take me through the steps to do this? It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cubanb

Banned
here is a thread on another site with unofficial updated firmware at the end of the thread.... read through the whole thing first tho
here

Nerevar

My problem were my local MTU settings. I had to download a program called "Dr. TCP" and set my MTU to 1400. Now, I can access sites that use SSL. Interestingly enough, this wasn't a problem on my other computer. Oh well. Anyone with some sense of networking want to explain what MTU settings are for?

And by the way, the firmware didn't fix the problem. Had to call tech support.

andthebeatgoeson

Bowser said:
skinny, I have the same router as you do and I'm having the same problem. I don't know how to forward or open TCP ports or how to turn off the routers firewall; could somone take me through the steps to do this? It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Same router:
Log onto your router, at 192.168.2.1. Next, go to either 'Application Gateways' or 'Virtual Servers'. I think Virtual Servers might be the best. But you have to know your Local IP on your network, the ports you want to forward (TCP 6881-6999 for BitTorrent). Once you do that you'll see this:
BakerFar4.jpg

Oops, I meant this:
belkin.jpg

Those are the ports you want to forward. You can find your computer by checking out the DHCP list or going to a command prompt and checking 'ipconfig'. Your IP will probably be different than mine but everything else should be good. Ask if you have more questions.

andthebeatgoeson

I must admit that I'm getting good speeds and BT is still working. I'm just on a Cable modem and was worried that I wasn't getting the best out of it. ABC just indicates that I haven't recieved an incoming connection (every torrent is yellow) but I'm uploading as well as downloading. Oh well, I'll just go with the same setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom