• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blacklight: Retribution |OT| Put a scope on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

element

blr_banner.jpg

Who wants a fast paced shooter with millions of weapon combinations and is free?

Features:
  • Millions of combinations of guns!! Build your weapon part by part. Receiver, muzzle, barrel, scope, magazine, stock, hanger, camo! Build it how you want!
  • Classless! Build your character how you want! Heavy with a sniper rifle? Sure! Fast with heavy machine gun? Check! Built your character however you want!
  • Fast paced 16 Player
  • HRV (see through walls via your high tech visor)
  • Node based boost system AND crafting/fusion of those nodes!
  • 7 Maps
  • Ranked Matches *Coming Soon
  • Party Mode *Coming Soon
  • Spectator mode
  • Friends List, In-Game Mail, Clans
  • HARDSUIT!!
  • Hero Class Characters (2 out now, new ones each month)
  • DX11 Unreal Engine 3 graphics! It's got bokeh!!

Gametypes:
  • Deathmatch
  • Team Deathmatch
  • Capture the Flag
  • King of the Hill
  • Domination
  • Netwar
  • Siege

Free to Play:
It is free to play, meaning you don't have to pay anything to play. Almost everything in the marketplace can be purchased via the in-game currency GP, which you gain after each match. Use your GP to buy weapons or you can buy Zen with cash to buy weapons without having to gain the GP needed. Only a handful of items are cash only, and they are all cosmetic. No advantage in-game.

Outside of weapons you can also purchase boosts to increase your XP by 50%, taunts, and a bunch of other items.

43a41154369b92d107f2d857060538e01333070948.jpg

Videos:
Launch Trailer

blr_dd3_screenshot_5_20913.jpg

Black_Light_Retribution-306440853.jpg

Reviews:
Destructoid - 9/10
Jim Sterling said:
This is not only a great example of a professional and credible free-to-play game, but it's also one of the best first-person shooters I've played. I am quite serious when I say that, too.
IGN - 8.5/10
IGN said:
Great shooting mechanics and deep customization options make for an addictive combination.

FAQ:
Isn't this the sequel to Blacklight Tango Down?
Yes, it is the sequel. But that is about where the similarities end! Reworked from the ground up to be F2P.

Is it coming to Steam?
Nothing confirmed, but never say never.

Where can I download it?
http:/www.playblacklight.com

Who makes this game?
Zombie Studios, go follow them on twitter! https://twitter.com/#!/zombiestudios

ACK!! I didn't know the rules on OT Threads!! Don't ban me!!

Card Boy

Banned
Almost everything in the marketplace can be purchased via the in-game currency GP, which you gain after each match. Use your GP to buy weapons or you can buy Zen with cash to buy weapons without having to gain the GP needed. Only a handful of items are cash only, and they are all cosmetic. No advantage in-game.

What are these cash only items?

Also does the game have Pando Media Booster? Also can anyone confirm if there is Oceanic/Australia servers?

It seems to be scoring better than the first game by the looks of it.

Jasoneyu

This game is ALOT better than tango down and the amount of customization is staggering. This and Tribes is really bringing the quality of F2P to AAA levels.

element

What are these cash only items?
There are some skins and hero characters that are cash only. Both are just cosmetic. Items you have boosts such as the 50% XP Gain.
Also does the game have Pando Media Booster?
The direct download link is using Pando right now. Not sure why PWE changed it. You can also download it via a torrent, which was actually faster for me at home.
Also can anyone confirm if there is Oceanic/Australia servers?
Something that is being worked on right now.
It seems to be scoring better than the first game by the looks of it.
It might as well be a totally different game.
the amount of customization is staggering.
The math is kinda silly. Well over 10 million combinations, and that is excluding camo and weapon hangers!!

Flunkie

Banned
Bout time for an OT. Anywho, while I've been casually enjoying this game on and off, A. Performance is so-so at best, B. controls and aiming are stiff, even for a PC game, C. you die too quickly for the style of gameplay promoted, D. the UI and initial "how does this all work?" is pretty bad, and E. mechs are too easy to get and dominate with.

Yet I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. I like the weapon tag idea, and the weapon customization is pretty deep - though, it sucks that you can only "rent" certain parts without paying or massive grinding (without paying).

Orayn

This thread and the Bro Team Pill video "review" have inspired me to give this game a try. The production values look really good for a free to play game, and I haven't really touched a "serious" multiplayer shooter in a while.

element

though, it sucks that you can only "rent" certain parts without paying or massive grinding (without paying).
Pretty standard for F2P shooters that are coming out. Either pay with money or time. Time is money, so some people drop a couple bucks here and there to buy perm items.

Card Boy

Banned
Something that is being worked on right now.

Ok i guess i will wait, i am really excited for the game. I will through some cash their way if i end up liking it like Tribes Ascend. But unfortunately no Oceanic servers means i can't play it. Is there an ETA on it? Or did they just say its being worked on?

Pretty standard for F2P shooters that are coming out. Either pay with money or time. Time is money, so some people drop a couple bucks here and there to buy perm items.

Yeah if you treat these F2P shooters like a $50 game then you can pretty much get everything unlocked, the consumer wins in the end.

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah, but I was talking mainly about parts. Prices are pretty steep still I'd you want to permanently have a lighter stock or a muzzle that allows fewer spread. Not a huge deal though because the rental prices are pretty reasonable.

Oh, hey. I love this game - at least, I try to. The most recent patch has completely fucked up my clan/friendslist to the point where it's impossible for me to play with a group, and there are also a ton of performance issues I never had before. Hitching, poor framerates, texture streaming problems, etc.

Still, I love the aesthetic and gameplay a ton. People should add me! My character's name is Kusanagi.

element

Think evilore would allow for a NeoGAF weapon hanger?

Oh, hey. I love this game - at least, I try to. The most recent patch has completely fucked up my clan/friendslist to the point where it's impossible for me to play with a group, and there are also a ton of performance issues I never had before. Hitching, poor framerates, texture streaming problems, etc.
The perf is being investigated. I'll ask about the clan/friendslist issue.

The perf is being investigated. I'll ask about the clan/friendslist issue.

Awesome! I didn't realize you were working on the game.

To be more specific, the issues I'm having with performance are mostly framerate hitching and stutter when I have Dynamic Lighting, Ambient Occlusion, or Depth of Field on (any of them or any combination, it seems), both in DX9 and DX11. On some maps, textures take forever to stream in, too - particularly on Containment, where pretty much no textures ever stay fully loaded and the game hitches terribly every time I turn around or another player comes into my field of vision.

All of my friends/clan play on the same server region, so I'm not sure what causes the problem. I saw in the forums that some folks have issues when they try to play with friends who hop between regions, but that's not the case for me.

also I've been playing since closed beta and didn't get my Beta Tester title and I've totally run over dudes in the hardsuit and I never got that title either ;A; haha

demolitio

I need to get back into this. I'm so bored with my time right now and F2P games are the easiest way to fix that void. I loved it in the beta although I quit due to the intimidating matches against people 1029384 ranks higher than you along with an idiotic team...lol

FuKuy

This game looks gorgeous, but I don't want to create a new account and add my friends again. I will wait till the game hits STEAM someday....

Been looking forward to this for a while now.

Also, where's Pylon Trooper at? This is his jam.

Haha, present and accounted for. Blame Rayman! I loved Tango Down, and have played a bit here and there of Retribution. Great game, just need a little more time to devote to it!

Nice to see folks digging it. The original was a rough gem.

Haha, present and accounted for. Blame Rayman! I loved Tango Down, and have played a bit here and there of Retribution. Great game, just need a little more time to devote to it!

Nice to see folks digging it. The original was a rough gem.

Tango Down was actually really fun before the first major patch. If I remember right, shotguns used to be too good, so the game was best played with a group of friends on that one food court/mall courtyard looking map with shotguns only. It was unbalanced as hell but a total blast.

element

Awesome! I didn't realize you were working on the game.
I should be honest. I do work on the game. I saw all the other OT threads for SMNC and Tribes, and felt BLR needed some love.

I should ping Evilore if he is cool with a NeoGAF weapons hanger :D

I should be honest. I do work on the game. I saw all the other OT threads for SMNC and Tribes, and felt BLR needed some love.

I should ping Evilore if he is cool with a NeoGAF weapons hanger :D

I was actually considering making the OT for this game before I saw this thread, haha. Been playing since closed beta, although now since I'm not going to do any sort of enthusiast OT for it I should probably write up a review at some point.

element

I was actually considering making the OT for this game before I saw this thread, haha. Been playing since closed beta, although now since I'm not going to do any sort of enthusiast OT for it I should probably write up a review at some point.
Do it!

ACK! I had no idea of the OT Rules. Might have to close this down and have someone else post it :(

I'm sorry :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom