• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodline Champions |OT| Free2Play Arena Based MOBA game, now on Steam!

Card Boy

Banned
AEg2R.png

Developer: Stunlock Studios
Publisher: Funcom
Platform: PC
Price: Free
Genre: Action, RPG, MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena)
When: Out now!
Where: www.bloodlinechampions.com or Steam

Key Features

• 100% skill based game play, no random elements. You can see the match statistics to see exactly what skills were used and what damage it did
  • Team-based arena-style player vs. player (PvP) gameplay
  • Three different game modes: Arena (known as team deathmatch in other games), Capture The Artifact (aka Capture The Flag) and Conquest (map control point game mode)
  • Solo and Team Matchmaking, supporting 2v2 and 3v3 brackets
  • Also supports game creating and joining, using a "lobby" system
  • Rounds are fast-paced, last 2 minutes in matchmaking games and they are best of 5 to determine the overall winner and undetermined amount on custom games
  • Purely skill-based: there is no targeting, no random damage and no "critical" hits; every ability requires aiming
  • Instead of using mana as in other similar games, Bloodline Champions uses cooldowns which have to be managed effectively
  • Top-down view of the arena, mouse and keyboard controls, VOIP chat, Observer view when dead or observing

Gameplay

There are four categories of bloodlines (character archetypes): melee attack, ranged attack, healer, and tank. There are currently 22 bloodlines, with five in each category, except for melee & healing which have six. Stunlock Studios have announced that they are working on a new bloodline. Each bloodline has seven abilities, two of which have an EX version, an enhanced version of the ability. Each has its own cooldown, as well as triggering short global cooldowns. The seventh ability is an "ultimate" ability that may only be used after gaining sufficient energy through executing other abilities successfully, such as healing allies, damaging enemies, and otherwise helping your team.

Champions also have HP (Health Points) - when the champion runs out of HP, the champion dies, removing it from combat until the end of the round. Each champion also has two items that grant additional abilities. The Bloodline Medallion allows a champion to recover an increasing amount of HP over a period of time and Resurrect revives nearby fallen teammates. Both items require a significant amount of uninterrupted time to prepare, which makes them impractical in immediate combat. In Conquest and Capture The Artifact modes resurrection skill has been replaced with warp skill that allows you to warp a short distance every 20 seconds.

The controls in Bloodline Champions are similar to a first-person shooter, as the bloodline's movement is controlled using the W, A, S, and D keys. The primary two abilities are mapped to the left and right mouse buttons, and the rest of the abilities are used with the Q, E, R, F, and space keys. Almost all the abilities are aimed, where the direction of the ability is determined by the position of the cursor on the screen relative to the champion's position. There are two different camera modes; Free Look and Static. The static camera stays over the characters head at all times regardless of the location of the players cursor. The Free Look camera allows the player to control their camera with the cursor. A few defensive abilities are directed by hovering the cursor on the desired recipient, and some abilities target a specific location on the playing field.

Bloodline Champions also features fog of war which represents the areas of the map which cannot be seen due to visual obstruction or distance. There are obstacles on the map which create fog of war and inhibit movement. Champions have their own collision, which can be used to inhibit movement and protect allies (for example a tank bloodline will have a larger collision size, making it easier to defend teammates by blocking fire, but also being more susceptible to focus fire).

The Bloodlines

1WWRc.jpg

(in order from left to right)

Healer
Healers mix defensive control abilities with respectable damage, but have very limited mobility and low health.

Alchemists can use poison to deal significant damage over time, but many of their abilities prevent enemies from dealing damage.
Psychopomps are more offensive healers which utilize spiritual energy to disrupt and control the battlefield, removing allies from harm or increasing damage done to opponents.
Heralds of Insight are immobile and almost exclusively defensive, but they can indirectly crush enemy teams with reflective shields and massive damage amplification.\
Astronomers have powerful melee attacks, a very powerful petrification spell, and modest defense.
Blood Priests lose health when they heal allies, but they can greatly disrupt the enemy team with fear, possession, and blinding insect swarms.
Grimrogs are melee/healer hybrids capable of protecting their allies with both blessings and healing wards while at the same time posing a huge threat to enemy champions with the use of crippling curses and frenzied melee attacks.

Ranged Damage
Ranged damage have very low health and deal high damage from a safe distance. They generally have many ways to escape melee combat but are taken down quickly if out-maneuvered.

Igniters use fire magic to deal sustained damage over time.
Gunners are stealthy sharpshooters who can deal massive damage from afar with their arsenal of ammunition but are fragile when focused.
Nomads throw boomerangs that can pierce and stun enemies or totally remove them from battle.
Engineers employ various technological devices to shrink, enlarge, slow, incinerate, and incapacitate.
Seekers are archers who infuse elemental attacks into their arrows and specialize in direct damage.

Tank
Tanks are close-quarters fighters and specialize in defense and peeling—removing pressure from allies by putting equal pressure on enemies.

Gluttons
focus on dismantling a single enemy with their madness mechanic and heal themselves by eating.
Vanguards reflect enemy spells and have a variety of disabling abilities.
Inhibitors use damage amplification and incapacitating effects to disrupt the enemy.
Thorns use plant-based abilities to immobilize enemies and heal themselves.
Guardians have modest healing and damage that is based on the current health of the target.

Melee Damage
These bloodlines generally deal the most damage but must be in close range and have slightly higher health than ranged damage bloodlines. They tend to have very limited ways to control fights aside from their high damage output.

Harbingers employ dark magic to amplify their damage and leech health from their targets.
Spear Masters specialize in dismantling ranged bloodlines with very high mobility and damage avoidance.
Ranid Assassins use stealth and poison attacks to quickly bring down lone enemies.

Raveners specialize in avoiding damage and punishing enemies who waste their escape opportunities.
Stalkers are highly-mobile and use several abilities that greatly amplify their damage against single targets.
Reavers are the fearsome masters of melee combat, employing an oversized sword together with intoxicated martial arts that enables them to stay within melee range and control the fight in his favor provided he plays his cards right.

Freemium & Pricing details

Bloodline Champions is Free-to-Play (F2P). A player can download the game and play for free. Bloodlines rotate every week, so there are always four available Bloodlines, one of each archetype. Players earn Blood Coins and spend them on additional Bloodlines, titles, avatars and other visual perks. None of the purchasable items give an edge in gameplay since there are no weapons with higher damage, for example, but they create more variety and choices in gameplay and appearance. Players can also choose to buy Funcom Points by using real money. Funcom Points serve the same purpose as Blood Coins, but they are bought using real currency instead of earned through in-game accomplishments. All marketplace items cost significantly less Funcom Points than Blood Coins.

There are also Champion and Titan editions which can be bought for 29.99 USD/Euro and 89.99 USD/Euro, respectively. Each purchasable edition of the game offer different perks: The Champion edition unlock 16 bloodlines. The Titan edition also offer additional perks, these are listed below:

rDxLh.png

System Requirements

Operating system:Windows® XP Service Pack 3, Vista, or 7
Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 3.0 GHz (or AMD equivalent)
Memory: 1GB RAM on Windows XP, 2GB of RAM on Windows Vista/7
Hard disk space: 1GB Hard disk space
Video: nVidia or AMD/ATI video card with 128MB RAM and Shader Model 3 support (GeForce 6000 series or ATI HD2000 series)
Sound: DirectX-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Internet: High Speed Internet (DSL or better) required

Screenshots

jTWDg.jpg

xtF1K.jpg

7mgge.jpg

credit: Steam store/Wikipedia

Valygar

Downloading now, seems like a nice action pvp rpg.

I've tried, and it seems to be fun. There are quite a few characters, you have 6 abilities (one is your main attack, primary mouse button). All characters seem to have some sort of teleport plus something in space, and a ranged attack for the secondary mouse button. The other 3 abilities vary between bloodlines (characters), but it seems you have more or less the same roles as usual.

It's a lot fast paced, and it seems very chaotic at the beginning. Your 5 secondary skills have a cooldown between 5-8 seconds, and there are 5 of them, so it is not even possible to spam them all and not having some ability left to cast.

There are 3 modes from what I've seen: PVP (team vs team), conquest (3 point capture, you earn points by time, very similar to dominion in lol) and a one named "Artifact" that I have not tried.

It seems a nice game if you want to play a moba (but only focused on the fighting) - action pvp rpg (but you don't level up).

Zizbuka

Banned
Looks kinda like Demigod, which I liked as a SP game. I suck at multiplayer, so I never really bothered. Just don't have the time/patience to learn all the intricacies.

Wonder if this will be the same.

Card Boy

Banned
The game is sort of like Guild Wars PvP. Minus the skill customization. Really like it so far. Heaps of people play and i find a match in 20 seconds tops.

We should make a Gaf clan. I don't want to be leader though, not sure if i can be an Officer though.

"Looks kinda like Demigod, which I liked as a SP game. I suck at multiplayer, so I never really bothered. Just don't have the time/patience to learn all the intricacies.

Wonder if this will be the same."

Not really anything like Demigod and if you're not into MP, I wouldn't bother.

Touch

I use to watch Elementz play the beta while waiting to find League of Legends matches on stream. Was interested back then but never got into the beta. I'll download and give it a try.

Card Boy

Banned
Kerrby said:
Jesus, I thought it was a 10 year old MMO judging from the pics on Steam.

These type of games are designed around E-sports and getting heaps of people on board. So it makes sense to target low end machines and people with low bandwidth (game is just under 900meg)

Also the game was made by a bunch of university students.

derFeef

I still have that installed, played the beta too. Nice little game but the skill ceiling is very high and it requires lot's of teamwork.
Not that this is a bad thing.

Keasar

I still remember when they showed this as a 3rd year schoolproject about 3-4 years ago, it was the most anticipated game any students had made and became instantly popular during tests. :)
The guys making this are nice people (Tau included).

Anyway, highly recommended game, very quick matches and quite exciting ones to play since it is alot more of a action-game (WASD controls and mouse aiming).

Touch

Downloaded. Played through the tutorial and one standard 3v3 match. The game is fun for not know what I'm doing. I'm use to play DotA/LoL. This game is like the team fights but all the time. Which is pretty cool, I dig the round based aspect. I wonder how long it's takes to get to a level where everyone doesn't run to the middle and spam?

Played the Beta, trying it out now. It definitely seems to have come a long way in how tight the gameplay feels. Pretty damn good actually. Hit me up with PMs if any of you guys want to play as a team!

Tried it first time yesterday. Pretty neat, more actiony than most mobas. Only thing that took a little getting used to is managing 7 different skills and the rather awkward default hotkey assignments. There's also a bit of input lag on walking, and the ui could use a little decluttering both during matches and in the lobbies, but otherwise cool, room for potential.

Apologies for double posting but trying to get back into this today and it wont recognize my username/password ingame. I've gone back onto funcom's website and changed it multiple times and made sure that I didn't mistype, but to no avail.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this revitalizes the US servers

last time I played I couldn't even get in a game

Card Boy

Banned
Retro_ said:
Hopefully this revitalizes the US servers

last time I played I couldn't even get in a game

Literally takes 5 to 20 seconds to find a match.

Anyway send me your username if you want to join the Gaf clan (or post it here, so i dont get heaps of PM's). I will make officers so you can invite others.

Elixist

Played a few matches of this back in the day and thot it was pretty fun, but I prefered LOl and continued to play that instead, maybe I should give it a another go.

Einherjar

I've played this game off and on since the closed beta, and every time I go back, it's the same thing. The game will get boring after a few matches/days of play. Their "hero" (bloodline) unlock is a farcry from the industry standard (LoL), it takes what seems like a decade to unlock even one new character with points earned from playing. The grind gets boring fast.

While the game has some resemblance of skill based combat, the way it's done is also quite poor IMO. Yes, everything is a skill shot. However, to be competitive and helpful, not only do you need to land the skillshots, but you need to be spamming with every single hero, no exceptions. Your usefulness ("skill") is basically how fast you can mash all your skills as soon as they are off cooldown, while still landing your skillshots.

Personally, and it's just me, I would not recommend investing too much time into the game. It's definitely fun and worth trying, but not worth committing to. I'm not hating on the game cause I was bad (I was pretty much first in points every round&match, but as my ladder rating went up, the style of play got less and less fun, and if I can't be playing well and having fun at the same time, to me that is poor design).

Sounds like a great game. I remember playing another game like this but I forgot what it was called. It was on PC where 2 teams basically pick characters and battle it out in some arena. The main level I played was some frozen ice cave. I would to play this game at break on my laptop. How well would it run on a 5650 mobility radeon?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Downloaded and tried the tutorial, which I found to be boring as shit. Maybe the ranged combat class just wasn't for me, but the game didn't 'feel' particularly good, anyway. Maybe these arena combat games with RTS/MMO mechanics just aren't for me.

Silphatos

Banned
Just started playing this, normally I don't (or can't) have fun while playing DOTA clones but this arena game is exactly what I have wanted.

Ardvent

Season 6 launches tomorrow with a grade reset. Great time to start playing again (or starting for the first time)

Top Bottom