• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Modernizing Super Mario, How Nintendo has reinvented its star

Tripon

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...er-mario-how-nintendo-has-reinvented-its-star

Modernizing Mario has required upgrading graphics for a clearer, sharper image, while also consciously cultivating a secret inner life. He remains a man of few words: Each generation of players can use its imagination to decide the character’s personality.

“We thought he should be a character that’s free to do anything,” said Tezuka, who has worked on every Super Mario Bros. game since its debut in 1985. “Mario has to keep up with the times.”

“Through all the changes in devices and technologies, Nintendo has always specialized in producing a particular feeling of freedom when manipulating a character,” said Masanobu Endo, a professor at Tokyo Polytechnic University’s game department. “They set the standard.”

Miyamoto, who sits next to Tezuka and like everyone in the company save the president doesn’t have his own office, thought it was a great idea. Despite some misgivings about letting users experiment with one of Nintendo’s most precious brands, Super Mario Maker was released in September. It sold more than a million units within weeks. There are now more than 3.3 million courses, played more than 200 million times.

The game’s success is a testament to Nintendo’s ability to appeal to the latest generation of players despite the industry’s trend for increasingly cinematic, open titles. It is also a sign of enduring nostalgia among older gamers for the Mario of those early eight-bit days.

For Manuel Emch, the chief executive officer of luxury watchmaker Romain Jerome, Mario is a generational icon as well as a source of fond memories of his first trip to the U.S. The Swiss company collaborated with Nintendo on a $18,950 limited-edition timepiece featuring a pixelated Mario hand-painted mid-jump in cold enamel. Most of the 85 watches have sold out.“When I see the watch, it brings me immediately back to my childhood, the smell of popcorn we used to eat while playing,” Emch said. “Because it’s something that has evolved, it makes the original element even more powerful.”

-1x-1.jpg

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...er-mario-how-nintendo-has-reinvented-its-star

I'm not sure how successful they have been yet. Not to diminish the success of Mario Maker, but it IS only one game.

I think they should have waited another couple years to make a claim like this.

$20k for a watch?

F*k that.

Also, NO 3DWorld 2, please. Give us some sort of hybrid of the Galaxies and Mario 64. Basically, more bigger explorable planets, and not so many smaller ones. Or something we could hardly fathom from a Mario game.

BKSmash

Modernizing Mario by making his 3D adventures just like the 2D ones without much freedom, and releasing low content games (tennis) ?

Russ T

Banned
Damn that's a nice watch, I don't care if it's kinda tacky, I wa--

ALMOST TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS

listen i know watches can get expensive but that doesn't mean i'm not surprised every time

Top Bottom