• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bluescreen question concerning wrapping a texture on a blue costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

Alright, well, I sent out the stuffed animal cows for Metal Cow Solid 3 to somebody for custom costuming... the problem is, that was before we knew about the abundance of costumes in the game, and the camo editor.

So, I was thinking, what if I just have the cows fitted in a solid blue body costume, and then apply Photoshop textures to them in post production. Yes, it'd result in more of a "the costume is scrolling horizontally with them," and look funny, but I don't know if it'd look funny in a good way, and due to certain circumstances with the person making the costumes, I don't really have a choice to get just one cow done in blue and make test videos first. (and I don't know yet without feedback or test videos whether or not it's worth the money for a full set of blue costumes)

Anyone have any feedback?

goodcow

Lathentar said:
What the hell are you talking about?

I'd like to give stuffed animal cows full blue body suits to apply camo textures to later in post, but I don't know how well this would work, and I'm curious as to whether or not anybody has done anything similar here.

3phemeral

You'd probably have to make a pattern for the material -- it'd help if you had pictures for reference. You should find something similar in your closet, copy the pattern and scale it down to size. Take measurements of the cows shoulder width, arm length, inseams, neck width, chest to waist, waist to hip, ankle, wrist, etc. Lots of work.

3phemeral

Oh wait, I just realized you weren't asking about the costuming side... *_* Sorry, can't help you with the post production ideas! :c/

aoi tsuki

Try getting a similar stuffed animal and spray painting it with a matte color to see how it works. It might work, or you might need to actually get some video paint (forget what it's called). Effective chroma keying depends on the quality of your camera too. Unless the cow is stationery and the shot is good, i don't think the textures would look too good on it because it might look too "pasted on". Might wanna try working with lighting and the shadows they create.

Just some ideas, i haven't done much video/chroma work myself.

Makura

Well, first, what kind of post production tools do you have at your disposal? Anything besides Photoshop?

Makura

Well it looks like you have no choice but to do it via color adjustment. To avoid the flat projected look, I would make a real neon camo suit - that is, a camo suit made out of bright colors that aren't being used elsewhere in the scene (Neon pink, neon green, etc.) That way you can just adjust those specific colors in post (H,S,B) to emulate the camo editor instead of worrying about wrapping the texture onto the object.

Do you understand my idea?

goodcow

Somewhat, though I've never really done much color correction before.

How do you think your method would turn out?

Makura

Like, give the cow an outfit like this:

c1.gif

And by using selective color correction (In Photoshop it's Image>Adjust>Slecetive Color - Absolute mode)

You can make the seperate colors pretty much anything you want - here's two quick and dirty examples I did with the above image:

c2.gif

c3.gif

It helps immensly if the colors are very specific and very different.

I would use a bright magenta, bright green and bright red on the actual suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom