• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bob Newhart dead at 94

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Will Ferrell Elf GIF by filmeditor

jason10mm

Gold Member
We are firmly in the generational period where EVERY celeb that dies is known to me. I remember the "in memoriam" sections of shows when I was a kid, full of black and white era stars that my parents knew and were sad about but I had no inkling of.......my kids are getting that experience now.

ElRenoRaven

Saw this news today. Grew up watching his show where they ran the inn. It was charming and funny. The look he'd get on his face every time Larry Daryl and Daryl would come in was priceless. Such a funny guy.

Great examples of his interactions with them on the show.

Last edited:
RIP guy I should know more about

It's pretty sad I'm more familiar with with William Sanderson (because of Blade Runner) than I am Bob Newhart.

RIP Bob :(

We are firmly in the generational period where EVERY celeb that dies is known to me. I remember the "in memoriam" sections of shows when I was a kid, full of black and white era stars that my parents knew and were sad about but I had no inkling of.......my kids are getting that experience now.

True for me its Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins, Michael Cane, Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robert De Niro to name a few. I hope I get to meet one of them before the big man calls me home.

jason10mm

Gold Member
RIP Bob :(

True for me its Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins, Michael Cane, Clint Eastwood, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robert De Niro to name a few. I hope I get to meet one of them before the big man calls me home.
Damn, you had better hurry up. I think all of those guys will be gone in the next 5 years, maybe Arnie if his heart holds strong.

I'm not even sure WHERE to meet those guys, they don't any fan events I'm aware of. I have an Atlantean sword on the way though, would LOVE to find some way for Arnie to etch his signature into it :p

Damn, you had better hurry up. I think all of those guys will be gone in the next 5 years, maybe Arnie if his heart holds strong.

I'm not even sure WHERE to meet those guys, they don't any fan events I'm aware of. I have an Atlantean sword on the way though, would LOVE to find some way for Arnie to etch his signature into it :p

Thinking of visiting Los Angeles in the next year so hopefully bump into one of them on my travels. I know its a very long shot but hey anything can happen haha. I think Arnold was building a house here in New Zealand somewhere.

Also a few months ago I bumped into Cillian Murphy on the airport here in NZ just a few weeks after his Oscar win. Was completely star struck. Boarded a flight with his wife and kids to the south island. Unforuantely i was on a different flight that day. He wore a mask but his piercing blue eyes was a giveaway lol. If you google new zealand and cillian murphy you will find a few articles of him being in NZ at that time.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Also a few months ago I bumped into Cillian Murphy on the airport here in NZ just a few weeks after his Oscar win. Was completely star struck. Boarded a flight with his wife and kids to the south island. Unforuantely i was on a different flight that day. He wore a mask but his piercing blue eyes was a giveaway lol. If you google new zealand and cillian murphy you will find a few articles of him being in NZ at that time.
See, thats the no go for me. It's one thing when they are at a con or at a premier or some promotion and can kinda be expected to interact with fans, but when out and about, especially with their family, I'll just log the memory in my head and let them be. My wife struck up an acquaintance with Amy Smart through our kids once and she was at an event for her kid. Now normally I'd gush over her for some time but it just felt weird since she was there for her kid as a mom, not as a celeb. Had we gone out for drinks it would have been a different story though.

See, thats the no go for me. It's one thing when they are at a con or at a premier or some promotion and can kinda be expected to interact with fans, but when out and about, especially with their family, I'll just log the memory in my head and let them be. My wife struck up an acquaintance with Amy Smart through our kids once and she was at an event for her kid. Now normally I'd gush over her for some time but it just felt weird since she was there for her kid as a mom, not as a celeb. Had we gone out for drinks it would have been a different story though.

Yeah I did just that lol. I nearly bumped into him as he walked infront of me coming from my right. I didn't see him. Said 'sorry' and let him walk by. He nodded and moved on. I noticed his eyes and face when he nodded at me. Froze on the spot and just stared at him as he walked by. Couldn't believe i was looking at an Oscar winning actor. My partner and i didn't make any gestures or cause a commotion. We just silently looked on as he boarded his plane with his family.
Funny thing is no one else noticed it was him. I went to the boarding gate and asked the airline rep if it indeed was him (even though I knew 99% it was) and she confirmed it was. She wasn't supposed to do that but fuckit, no one noticed it was him anyways lol.

Part of me said 'ask him for a photo' and other half of me said 'No, he's in his private space,let him be'. I chose not to bother him because if it was me in his shoes i wouldn't want to be bothered.

I'm also slightly taller than him. That shocked me the most. In movies he appears tall and lanky lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom