• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bobby Fischer Found!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
All that searching paid off....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3900205.stm

Mr Fischer is accused by the US of breaking international sanctions by travelling to Yugoslavia in 1992 to play against a Russian arch-rival.

Mr Fischer, an American citizen, won the match against Boris Spassky but disappeared when the US authorities announced they wanted to prosecute him.

The 61-year-old says he will appeal against the extradition order.

The reclusive Mr Fischer, a fierce critic of America, was detained at Tokyo's Narita airport, reportedly on his way to the Philippines.

carpal

Wow! This seems like it should be really big news to me. Makes me want to watch that movie again. Good flick.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
He should just agree to be extradited if any US representative can defeat him... take all comers. PAY-PER-VIEW!

I saw this while reading an article about him from 2002:

The federal arrest warrant issued in 1992 will not expire, and it is unlikely that Fischer will be shown much leniency—especially since he referred to George W. Bush during one of his radio interviews as "borderline retarded."

shoplifter

The federal arrest warrant issued in 1992 will not expire, and it is unlikely that Fischer will be shown much leniency—especially since he referred to George W. Bush during one of his radio interviews as "borderline retarded."

LMAO, well said Mr. Fischer.

Guzim

Mr Fischer is accused by the US of breaking international sanctions by travelling to Yugoslavia in 1992 to play against a Russian arch-rival
That reminds me of the Family Ties episode where Alex plays chess against a Russian, and at the end of the episode, they set all political views and nationalism aside, and play as friends :)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on

This man is my hero.

This man is my hero

Don't be too impressed with Bobby Fischer. The man is a hateful, paranoid anti-Semite. Some of his ramblings, taken from Bobby Fischer's Pathetic Endgame:

Bobby Fischer is being persecuted by world Jewry.

The United States government is a "brutal, evil dictatorship" that has falsely accused Bobby Fischer of a crime and forced him to live in exile.

Bobby Fischer has been swindled out of a "vast fortune" in royalties by book publishers, movie studios, and clock manufacturers (yes, clock manufacturers), who have brazenly pilfered his brand name, patents, and copyrights.

The Jews are a "filthy, lying bastard people" bent on world domination through such insidious schemes as the Holocaust ("a money-making invention"), the mass murder of Christian children ("their blood is used for black-magic ceremonies"), and junk food (William Rosenberg, the founder of Dunkin' Donuts, is singled out as a culprit).

For chess buffs who tune in for some shoptalk from the game's most revered icon, there is this:

Chess is nothing more than "mental masturbation." Not only is the game dead, it's fixed. Gary Kasparov, the world's top-rated player, is a "crook" and a former KGB spy who hasn't played a match in his life in which the outcome wasn't prearranged.

The No. 1 transgression, however, the thing that has devastated Fischer, embittered him, and made him screech at night, alone in his apartment, is the "Bekins heist."

Millions of dollars' worth of personal memorabilia, painstakingly collected and stockpiled by Bobby Fischer in a ten-by-ten-foot Bekins storage room in Pasadena, California, has been stolen from him in a secret plot involving the Rothschilds (Jews), Bill Clinton (a secret Jew), and unnamed Bekins executives (CIA rats who work for the Jews).

I'd suggest reading the whole article. It's interesting reading about his slide into insanity.

shoplifter

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
Don't be too impressed with Bobby Fischer. The man is a hateful, paranoid anti-Semite. Some of his ramblings, taken from Bobby Fischer's Pathetic Endgame:

I'd suggest reading the whole article. It's interesting reading about his slide into insanity.

Do you have proof that the Jews (not individuals, but as a vast conspiracy) aren't any of that?

I'd say you're anti-Fischer, and that's just as bad.

ShadowRed

Banned
dynamitejim said:

I think he was referring to the first Bush not Jr.

Reading through that article it said he's been in Tokyo many times before. But why would they only pick him up now? And yeah, the guy seems to have a lot of mental problems.

Pimpwerx

Anti-semite or not, this man is a genius. :D

Seriously, I think he's eccentric, but I don't think he's got anything screwed up in the head. And this charge is fucking bullshit. I don't think governments should be restricting where we can travel. If he wants to go to Yugoslavia, more power to him. PEACE.

shoplifter

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
I really hope you're kidding.

Partially.

I'm just tired of the whole 'anti-semite' label. It gets bandied about far too much, and the ADL does nothing to slow it down.'

Yes, he's probably a kook, but I'd like to read the -direct quotes- rather than what they've paraphrased in many cases.

Keep in mind that The Atlantic is likely to have a pro-Jew slant due to it's ownership.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A BIGOT. I'm just trying to point out that everyone, yes even the media, has an agenda.

Mason

Hasn't he been playing chess online for the past decade or so? I remember reading that they thought he had been playing online and were going to track him down that way.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
shoplifter said:
Partially.

I'm just tired of the whole 'anti-semite' label. It gets bandied about far too much, and the ADL does nothing to slow it down.'

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A BIGOT. I'm just trying to point out that everyone, yes even the media, has an agenda.

You sound like a bigot. :p

Entire races/ehtnicities don't act greedy, commit some terrible act, or anything else like that. PEOPLE do.

shoplifter

I agree. There is a difference between Jews as a people, and Jews as a vast conspiracy.

Does the guy down the street hold me back? No.
Would I be surprised if there really is a secret cabal pulling strings? No.

It doesn't matter, however I say it, it'll sound bad. Trust me, I'm not a bigot (and yes I realize that just by saying it, people will automatically assume I am)

This is all tinfoil anyway :p

White Man

His was the first chess book I ever read. I've always just felt really bad for the guy. I always thought he had some sort of low-level schizophrenia from reading about his crash. He's more paranoid than outright hateful.

Dujour

Banned
And even if he is hateful, the only difference between him and those that condemn him is that he is vocal about it. That isn't much of a difference; not an important one.

way more

I'm a little concerned by how much you defend anti-semitism. Any respect I had for him was lost when he begain to speak out against Jews.

fart

Savant
Keep in mind that The Atlantic is likely to have a pro-Jew slant due to it's ownership.
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

anyways, fischer is a crazy genius and we should hold him in a plexi box with a networked chess game so we can all be destroyed by him, in turn. also, he's clearly schizophrenic.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
As a genious Chess player i respect him,the rest belongs into trashbin of history.
I mean alone the fact he went to Serbia while it was criticized for Ethnic cleansing should ring the bells for most people,this guy is either a ruthless criminal,awful racist,a psycho or a combination of other things.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Listen, I feel like it's time to confess something.

I... am a Jew.

And - yes! - there is a global conspiracy. We are swindling all faiths and peoples of money and hording all the cash in a giant drawer somewhere in Israel. Being Jewish is great. You get a membership card that gets you discounts all entertainment venues, mainstream restaurants and loan applications. And if you convert a friend to Judaism, you get a lifetime supply of free bagels from Einstein Bros.

Our goal is to build the largest Chinese food restaurant ever made, approximately the size of Israel. It will have plush accomodations, 24/7 food catering, entertainment and a fitness spa.

I've said too much!

Willco said:

I... am a Jew.

And - yes! - there is a global conspiracy. We are swindling all faiths and peoples of money and hording all the cash in a giant drawer somewhere in Israel. Being Jewish is great. You get a membership card that gets you discounts all entertainment venues, mainstream restaurants and loan applications. And if you convert a friend to Judaism, you get a lifetime supply of free bagels from Einstein Bros.

Our goal is to build the largest Chinese food restaurant ever made, approximately the size of Israel. It will have plush accomodations, 24/7 food catering, entertainment and a fitness spa.

I've said too much!

You bastard!!! I told you to keep your mouth shut!! Prepare for the concequences.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Willco said:

I... am a Jew.

I've said too much!

You know that you are not supposed to reveal our secret agenda. You are out of H.E.B.R.E.W. :(

MoccaJava

Banned
I'm just tired of the whole 'anti-semite' label.

Um, people who say the kinds of things that Fischer has said (especially the thing about the Holocaust) are most certainly anti-Semetic, and I do not care how tired of it you are, if one is, one is.

shoplifter

MoccaJava said:
Um, people who say the kinds of things that Fischer has said (especially the thing about the Holocaust) are most certainly anti-Semetic, and I do not care how tired of it you are, if one is, one is.

Hey, if he actually said that stuff I totally agree. It's just that the ADL certainly likes to toss it about at will. I'm well aware that they don't stand for all Jews, even though IIRC they claim to. To me the ADL are the real kooks. They're part of the problem, not the solution.

Yes, the holocaust happened. It was disgusting.

I just think that the term anti-semite (and other labels for that matter) gets labelled on people far too quickly, and once its on you it's there for good because the ADL will make sure it sticks.

Stele

Holds a little red book
shoplifter said:
I just think that the term anti-semite (and other labels for that matter) gets labelled on people far too quickly, and once its on you it's there for good because the ADL will make sure it sticks.
Yeah, anti-semitism doesn't quite get going until the Jews themselves get behind it.

Willco said:

I... am a Jew.

I've said too much!

BAH, your Jew Conspiracy pales in comparison to my Free Mason Conspiracy.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
A retarded statement about someone else being retarded? What a coincidence!

NLB2

Banned
Fleming said:
As a genious Chess player i respect him,the rest belongs into trashbin of history.
I mean alone the fact he went to Serbia while it was criticized for Ethnic cleansing should ring the bells for most people,this guy is either a ruthless criminal,awful racist,a psycho or a combination of other things.

How about a competitor?

karasu

lol this guy was happy when 9/11 happened and thinks we should all be wiped out, yet people sing his praises. Priceless.

The charge is silly, but dude is still an asshole.

In his interview on September 11 with Radio Bombo in Baguio City, Mr Fischer said: "This is all wonderful news. It is time to finish off the US once and for all.

"I was happy and could not believe what was happening. All the crimes the US has committed in the world. This just shows, what goes around comes around, even to the US.

"I applaud the act. The US and Israel have been slaughtering the Palestinians for years. Now it is coming back at the US."

http://www.portal.telegraph.co.uk/n...isc02.xml&sSheet=/news/2001/12/02/ixhome.html

MaddenNFL64

He may be a crazy, jew bashing, U.S hating lunatic, but the movie about him was good, and he's awesome at chess.

ALL IS FORGIVEN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom